ABA on FISA

I don't know if it has been talked about before but the ABA has what I think is a good report with lots of links to other sources analyzing the whole illegal wiretapping issue. It formed the basis for their letter to the President on the issue. It names all the members of the task force which produced the report and includes their bios. It includes William Sessions, FBI director under Bush I and currently on the Board for developing dubya's Prez. Library.

As an example, they had this to say about the argument that the Authorization to Use Military Force ("AUMF") gave the Prez. the authority to bypass FISA:

"[The AUMF states that] When Congress declares war, the President may permit the Attorney General to authorize electronic surveillance without a court order under FISA for 15 days. Thus, Congress limited the Executive power to engage in electronic surveillance without judicial supervision to 15 days following a formal declaration of war. It is inconceivable that the AUMF, which is not a formal declaration of war, could be fairly read to give the President more power, basically unlimited, than he would have in a declared war."

Pretty compelling logic if you ask me.

In any event, regardless of where you stand on the issue, the report is an excellent resource to supplement whatever research you are inclined to undergo on the subject.

ABA Task Force Report

I'll save a few posters' time.

"We're at war. Bush can do anything."

"Laws are for pinko-optimists. If we don't break the law, the pinkos don't get to sleep well at night."

"You can trust the government. Even if the government is breaking the law, it isn't listening to you."