Screaming " It's The Offensive Lines' Fault "

Mark VI

I've been watching some of the games today. McNabb had plenty of plays where he didn't have 2 seconds after the snap and still made something positive out of it. Even the stone footed Kurt Warner hit Tiki Barber and other receivers on quick dump passes when jailbreak blitzed. Favre has been pressured something fierce in this Colts game, thanks to his own teams Defense being non-existent ...has to play catchup and is still making things happen...

The athletic talent we now see from the Defensive side of the ball is unprecedented. Better athletes who think faster are needed at the QB position. RB's who can run, catch and block at a high level are also a necessity.

It's NOT all Bledsoes' fault. Nor Henrys. But 15-20 teams wish their OL was much better. The reason many still win is the skill players are very talented with well rounded games. They also produce few negative plays while making a large # of positive plays, which result in points.

Our playbook has a choke hold on it, due to the limitations of our QB and RB. Until we can defeat the jailbreak blitz, we will see it every week. Why ? Because #11 can't beat it and #20 can't block the sun or catch with any consistency. The result is a turnover margin we can rarely overcome.

Mularkey is new and will figure out who can help him win. His loyalties to certain players is zero, if the results aren't there this season. He gets 3 years to get this moving in the right direction. In the meantime, the Defense gets older and good efforts get wasted by the inability of the Offense to make key plays.

We drafted our future. Losman, Evans, Magahee, Euhus etc. The OL can be improved but 75% of the NFL wants to improve their OL every off-season.

If our current QB,RB,WR combo isn't working, then Mularkey will make changes.

Face up to it. You can't keep blaming the OL. That is getting so darn old. If we can't save this season...turn the page.

Wins over excuses. This is their last chance.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark, you make sense as usual, but dont you wonder WHY Drew is screwed up and probably done? Or RJ was destroyed? Or Kelly retired a year or so early?

It IS because the OL sucks, and will continue to do so, unless a major commitment is made to it, which appears unlikely to impossible.

Henry is another story.

Mark, you make sense as usual, but dont you wonder WHY Drew is screwed up and probably done? Or RJ was destroyed? Or Kelly retired a year or so early?

It IS because the OL sucks, and will continue to do so, unless a major commitment is made to it, which appears unlikely to impossible.

Henry is another story.

46167[/snapback]

Kelly had limited mobility and was playing poorly. I have read multiple posters blaming the line for his supposed sudden retirement. I never bought into that. He had taken too many hits in the USFL, prior to even coming here. He was DONE when he retired. His play was declining rapidly. He couldn't move and was forcing/floating passes that last year.

RJ sucked everywhere,despite having footwork and couldn't make decisons, like another #11.

Do the Eagles have a great OL ? The Colts ? Look at those starters. They made some good plays and many bad ones.

It's the ability of their skill players. No question.

Kelly had limited mobility and was playing poorly. I have read multiple posters blaming the line for his supposed sudden retirement. I never bought into that. He had taken too many hits in the USFL, prior to even coming here. He was DONE when he retired. His play was declining rapidly. He couldn't move and was forcing/floating passes that last year.

RJ sucked everywhere,despite having footwork and couldn't make decisons, like another #11.

Do the Eagles have a great OL ?  The Colts ? Look at those starters. They made some good plays and many bad ones.

It's the ability of their skill players. No question.

46186[/snapback]

I suppose that we view football in a different manner. Some people look at the championship cowboys and see Aikman, Smith and Irvin.

Imo, they were winners because of Tunei, Erik Williams, Stepnowski, Newton, Allen, etc. Leon Lett tossing our blockers around didn't hurt either.

And to answer your question, both of those lines are better than ours. Tarik Glenn alone is better than our entire offensive front.

Good post. I saw Bulger and Trent Green making broken plays all over the place today and they are not considered fleet footed.  People cannot continue to whine about the Bills O-line every week.

46192[/snapback]

When you have Orlando Pace and Willie Roaf protecting your blindside, what would you expect Bro? :rolleyes::doh:

I suppose that we view football in a different manner. Some people look at the championship cowboys and see Aikman, Smith and Irvin.

Imo, they were winners because of Tunei, Erik Williams, Stepnowski, Newton, Allen, etc. Leon Lett tossing our blockers around didn't hurt either.

And to answer your question, both of those lines are better than our. Tarik Glenn alone is better than our entire offensive front.

46197[/snapback]

Great post Bill. I don't have a LOT of confidence with Bledsoe but our offensive line has sucked since 1994.

I bet if we got the stats from every team in the NFL since 1994 we would be in the bottom 5 in sacks allowed over that time span.

It's easy to blame Bledsoe when you see him on his back all the time........but that starts with the 2 seconds he gets to throw a lot of the time.

You can get a pass off in 2 seconds if your recievers get open, ours don't usually do that though either.

Put Bledsoe behind the OL of Seattle, the Eagles and those teams continue to win ?? Cough,cough,cough,cough...

and the Pats win 2 Superbowls in the past 3 years. Right ?  They don't even make the playoffs if Bledsoe was still starting.

46206[/snapback]

In New England I think the Pats don't make the playoffs with Bledsoe.

In Philly I think they would have made the playoffs but probably not all three NFC title games.

In Seattle I think he is as good as Hasslebeck.

Seattle has a really good offensive line.

And to answer your question, both of those lines are better than our. Tarik Glenn alone is better than our entire offensive front.

46197[/snapback]

I agree with you. To add further proof of the importance of an offensive line you can point out the Redskins when they beat the Bills in the SB. Just how many times was their QB all-pro. Most dominating performance of an offensive line I can remember.

Great post Bill.  I don't have a LOT of confidence with Bledsoe but our offensive line has sucked since 1994. 

I bet if we got the stats from every team in the NFL since 1994 we would be in the bottom 5 in sacks allowed over that time span.

It's easy to blame Bledsoe when you see him on his back all the time........but that starts with the 2 seconds he gets to throw a lot of the time.

You can get a pass off in 2 seconds if your recievers get open, ours don't usually do that though either.

46203[/snapback]

To clarify my stance, I too think that Drew is done. The thing is, I think it was the Bills OL that put the nails in his NFL coffin.

When he got here, he WAS coming off a major injury, and he still did well. In 2 years (and 2 games) he has been sacked approx. 110 times, and taken countless other brutal hits. Who could survive, let alone thrive?

I can never understand why one would downplay the role of the big, strong guys in such a brutal sport.