Get busy 'tween the sheets, Libs!

"Political Victory: From Here to Maternity

By Phillip Longman

Thursday, September 2, 2004; Page A23

What's the difference between the protesters outside the Republican convention and the delegates inside? There are many, of course, but one will ultimately skew American politics and the culture wars in the Republicans' favor, regardless of who has God or reason on her side. It's the divide between who is having children and who isn't. ..."

:(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...0-2004Sep1.html

"Political Victory: From Here to Maternity

By Phillip Longman

Thursday, September 2, 2004; Page A23

What's the difference between the protesters outside the Republican convention and the delegates inside? There are many, of course, but one will ultimately skew American politics and the culture wars in the Republicans' favor, regardless of who has God or reason on her side. It's the divide between who is having children and who isn't. ..."

:(

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...0-2004Sep1.html

628432[/snapback]

While there is some previous evidence of children getting their politics from their parents, and I think that there is strong reason to believe that this is how it works, I'm not quite sure that it the argument is necessarily valid.

A lot of the anecdotal evidence that I've encountered actually is about 50/50 in college of people believing the same things as their parents (at least in my classes).

I think with people who feel passionately about it, and who are most likely to go to the polls (college educated, ties in some way to a political party) are more likely to deviate from their parents then a normal American voter.

I wouldn't say that there is an issue with children or not. Over the course of life, people's opinions are influenced by much more then their parents, and one of the theories, the "watercooler" theory persay, I think is more realistic.

One reason why I think the watercooler theory has more credibility is because in situations where the outspoken leaders are liberal or republican, so are the followers.

Universities are a perfect example of this, where lots of kids who came from a Republican background are made more liberal due to the environment they are in.

Another environment seems to be cities as well in which people experience this behavior.

While there is some previous evidence of children getting their politics from their parents, and I think that there is strong reason to believe that this is how it works, I'm not quite sure that it the argument is necessarily valid.

A lot of the anecdotal evidence that I've encountered actually is about 50/50 in college of people believing the same things as their parents (at least in my classes).

I think with people who feel passionately about it, and who are most likely to go to the polls (college educated, ties in some way to a political party) are more likely to deviate from their parents then a normal American voter.

I wouldn't say that there is an issue with children or not.  Over the course of life, people's opinions are influenced by much more then their parents, and one of the theories, the "watercooler" theory persay, I think is more realistic.

One reason why I think the watercooler theory has more credibility is because in situations where the outspoken leaders are liberal or republican, so are the followers.

Universities are a perfect example of this, where lots of kids who came from a Republican background are made more liberal due to the environment they are in.

Another environment seems to be cities as well in which people experience this behavior.

628474[/snapback]

I am doing my part, one out, one on the way! Go liberal babies!