NCAA boycott

Not a minute on TV for me this year. 

No brackets or any other pool participation.

It's horribly wrong the way they treat the mid-majors.

627410[/snapback]

What do you mean? How are they treated badly?

The NCAA takes the conference winners (aren't there 30 automatic bids?). That leaves 34 "at large" teams. The committee then selects who in their opinion are the remaining 34 best teams. If anything, a case can be made to get rid of Air Force or Utah State and put in Cincinnati, who many people thought got the shaft.

Every year there are teams that fall in the 32nd to 36th best "at large" teams and only half make it. The other half "get the shaft".

Whenever there's a cutoff point in sports (BCS/bowl games in football, NCAA basketball) there will fringe teams who may or may not make it. This makes people happy or angry depending on who they root for.

Hey, if you have a team who didn't make it you thought deserved to be there- boycott away, I respect that. But the fact is there are stronger conferences who have better teams. If a team wants a guarantee to make it, win the conference and they're in.

who do you feel got mis-treated? hofstra? maybe, other than that the only glaring issues I saw were Gonzaga not getting a 2 seed and apparently Air Force and UAB with thier horrible SOS numbers.

627410[/snapback]

627410[/snapback]

What are your specific beefs? Who shouldda made it and who should be out?

yeah..it hurts to be the team on the bubble that doesn't get it...but it's gotta happen to someone. The Big Conference teams play a strength of schedule that quite rightly gives them an advantage. That being said..if you're team didn't get in and had a good record, you have every right to be pissed off. Sorry man. :)

cincinatti, no way, if you condider that SU was nearly out last wednesday and then beat cincy another bubble team. Cincy is where they belong

What do you mean?  How are they treated badly?

The NCAA takes the conference winners (aren't there 30 automatic bids?).  That leaves 34 "at large" teams.  The committee then selects who in their opinion are the remaining 34 best teams.  If anything, a case can be made to get rid of Air Force or Utah State and put in Cincinnati, who many people thought got the shaft.

Every year there are teams that fall in the 32nd to 36th best "at large" teams and only half make it.  The other half "get the shaft".

Whenever there's a cutoff point in sports (BCS/bowl games in football, NCAA basketball) there will fringe teams who may or may not make it.  This makes people happy or angry depending on who they root for.

Hey, if you have a team who didn't make it you thought deserved to be there- boycott away, I respect that.  But the fact is there are stronger conferences who have better teams.  If a team wants a guarantee to make it, win the conference and they're in.

627453[/snapback]

cincinatti, no way, if you condider that SU was nearly out last wednesday and then beat cincy another bubble team.  Cincy is where they belong

627462[/snapback]

Cincy is in the best conference in basketball and has a much higher SOS than either of those teams.

4 teams from the Missouri Valley?

Yep, they treat them like garbage  :)

627454[/snapback]

No. 21 Missouri State - out

No. 30 Hofstra - out

No. 51 NC State - in

No. 52 Cal - in

No. 57 Bama - in

No. 58 Seton Hall - in

These are all at large berths

No. 30 Hofstra  - out

No. 51 NC State - in

No. 52 Cal - in

No. 57 Bama - in

No. 58 Seton Hall - in

627498[/snapback]

Ah yes the almighty RPI...it's crap...The four teams that are in would win 8 out of 10 of the two teams you listed as out.

Your post would make more sense if you asked how the heck could Air Force get in over the teams you listed or the even better teams that got left out. Did Missouri State beat any good teams? There is a reason that no "mid-major" has won a national championship and are hardly ever even represented in the sweet sixteen. If a mid-major is in the S16 it is an upset and that on average is a HUGE upset.

No. 30 Hofstra  - out

No. 51 NC State - in

No. 52 Cal - in

No. 57 Bama - in

No. 58 Seton Hall - in

627498[/snapback]

You're boycotting over mighty Hofstra getting snubbed? :)

No. 30 Hofstra  - out

No. 51 NC State - in

No. 52 Cal - in

No. 57 Bama - in

No. 58 Seton Hall - in

These are all at large berths

627498[/snapback]

You still weight everything on the RPI??

Put Missouri State in the Big East and then let's see that RPI.

627410[/snapback]

Because the best team in the MAC would lose every game in the Big East. It's called REALITY!

If they want to win a tournement mid majors should drop out of Division I.

P.S. I am a Syracuse Alum - so this informs my opinion. :)

Whether SU was a bubble team or not, they lost by 1 point to the team that won the Big East tourney. That just stregnthens the argument.

still, they lost in the first round to a team that at that time was probably going to the NIT

627500[/snapback]

You're boycotting over mighty Hofstra getting snubbed?  :mellow:

627523[/snapback]

Hofstra beat George Mason, twice in 11 days, yes GM gets in, Hofstra sits.....I'd love to hear a reasonable explaination.

I saw the Hofstra/UNCW title game in the CAA, and their performance for the first 35 minutes of the game was abyssmal, sure they made it somewhat close at the end and their overall season was decent, who knows why they didn't get in

Hofstra beat George Mason, twice in 11 days, yes GM gets in, Hofstra sits.....I'd love to hear a reasonable explaination.

628072[/snapback]

Whether SU was a bubble team or not, they lost by 1 point to the team that won the Big East tourney. That just stregnthens the argument.

628016[/snapback]

Adding to that, hardly any of these bubble teams that got in have wins near the same quality as SU, WVU, Marquette, and LSU - 3 of those 4 games were away from home.