Beating my dead horse.

Funny, too, that this argument is brought to you by the same people who typically argue that anything important should be a government program, and corporations can't be trusted.  :mellow:

626671[/snapback]

I’ve scoured the internet for the direct quote that G-Bib has in the initial post, but can’t seem to find the hypocritical racist democrat that made that statement. Let’s just continue to level the charges of racism and xenophobia only at the Dems, even though they don’t have control over either the House or the Senate or any committees, and even though it was the GOP leadership that ultimately sank the deal.

I’ve scoured the internet for the direct quote that G-Bib has in the initial post, but can’t seem to find the hypocritical racist democrat that made that statement.  Let’s just continue to level the charges of racism and xenophobia only at the Dems, even though they don’t have control over either the House or the Senate or any committees, and even though it was the GOP leadership that ultimately sank the deal.

627910[/snapback]

Actually, I'm levelling charges of racism not just at Democrats. I'm levelling it at the entirety of American society.

The irony's just thicker coming from the party that supposedly fights against it.

I’ve scoured the internet for the direct quote that G-Bib has in the initial post, but can’t seem to find the hypocritical racist democrat that made that statement.  Let’s just continue to level the charges of racism and xenophobia only at the Dems, even though they don’t have control over either the House or the Senate or any committees, and even though it was the GOP leadership that ultimately sank the deal.

627910[/snapback]

It probably isn't on the internet. A panel of talking heads on some FOX thing at about 4:30 AM.

It probably isn't on the internet. A panel of talking heads on some FOX thing at about 4:30 AM.

627954[/snapback]

It doesn't matter. Whether or not the distinction has been made between "foreign-owned" and "foreign-government owned" is immaterial to the simple fact that opposition to foreign-government-owned companies operating US ports is focused strictly on DPW, and not the Asian government-owned companies that operate the West Coast ports.

And regardless...if the distinction wasn't made, then why do the bills introduced into the Senate specify companies owned by a foreign government...

It doesn't matter.  Whether or not the distinction has been made between "foreign-owned" and "foreign-government owned" is immaterial to the simple fact that opposition to foreign-government-owned companies operating US ports is focused strictly on DPW, and not the Asian government-owned companies that operate the West Coast ports. 

And regardless...if the distinction wasn't made, then why do the bills introduced into the Senate specify companies owned by a foreign government...

627960[/snapback]

I'm still figuring out where the bug boy came up with hypochritical racist democrat. I have no idea if the guy was democrat, republican or baby moose molester.

I'm still having to shake my head that so many are still pushing this line. I can't for the life of me see how it's not going to rear up and bite them.

I also get the sense that there aren't any American companies out there who even want the work. To get rid of the big shipping players (that our guys joint venture with) there is probably going to have to be some government subsidy so they don't go south financially.

I'm still figuring out where the bug boy came up with hypochritical racist democrat. I have no idea if the guy was democrat, republican or baby moose molester.

I'm still having to shake my head that so many are still pushing this line. I can't for the life of me see how it's not going to rear up and bite them.

627969[/snapback]

Blows my mind. It's almost like no one's thinking past the end of April.

Only thing that gives me any comfort is the hope that the UAE realizes that Islamic militant terrorism is as much a threat to them as us, and will remain pragmatic and not end their strategic cooperation with us in a fit of pique.

Blows my mind.  It's almost like no one's thinking past the end of April. 

Only thing that gives me any comfort is the hope that the UAE realizes that Islamic militant terrorism is as much a threat to them as us, and will remain pragmatic and not end their strategic cooperation with us in a fit of pique.

627993[/snapback]

Something else not discussed is that it isn't exactly safe to be allied with us. This is offset by having relationships with what we consider to be nefarious characters. But, if they (or anyone) has dealings with people not on our "A" list, they need to tossed into the dung heap.

Where is the expose on Saudi Arabia'a relationships with Iran? How about Egypt and Syria? Let's just sh-- can the whole nine yards, and put the money into fire trucks and an army of container inspectors. Anyone with any sense about things knows that will keep America safe.

Let the pile-ons continue.

Two days before the Bush administration asked Dubai Ports World to sever its U.S. operations, the company gave three Republican senators an extraordinary package of proposed security measures meant to seal off management of its U.S. subsidiary and to pay for screening devices at all 51 ports it operates around the world.

"The offer that they made was extraordinary, and probably unprecedented," said Steve Bell, chief of staff for Sen. Domenici, who supported the deal from the outset. Mr. Bell said the offer was the result of discussions between Sen. Domenici's office and Edward Bilkey, DP World's chief operating officer, with input from Sen. Frist's office.

Eric Ueland, Sen. Frist's chief of staff, said the majority leader's office "was looking over it very closely and attempting to understand the ins and outs of it. But the challenge was that these ideas, which would have yielded more security than a traditional commercial transaction, just came too late."

(and the punchline)

Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Republican from South Carolina, said yesterday that he was unaware of the offer but wasn't surprised it fell on deaf ears. "The problem is that positions got so hard, no one wanted to listen anymore," he said.

What's more...what is it about foreign owned companies that makes them less of a security risk than companies owned by foreign governments?  You'd almost think it would be the other way around...  :(

Funny, too, that this argument is brought to you by the same people who typically argue that anything important should be a government program, and corporations can't be trusted.  :(

626671[/snapback]

I dont care whos runnin things- get 'em out!

Wabbit season!