Beating my dead horse.

Watching some early morning news shows here and there, I'm still seeing people stating with "conviction":

"It's not foreign owned companies we are objecting to, it's companies owned by foreign governments"

OK.

I'm still dumbfounded that no one is actively discussing China and COSCO. Do the anti-Arabs really think nobody is going to notice that China Shipping is owned by the Chinese government?

Watching some early morning news shows here and there, I'm still seeing people stating with "conviction":

"It's not foreign owned companies we are objecting to, it's companies owned by foreign governments"

OK.

I'm still dumbfounded that no one is actively discussing China and COSCO. Do the anti-Arabs really think nobody is going to notice that China Shipping is owned by the Chinese government?

626630[/snapback]

It is tough to grasp two things at the same time. Right now, we are bashing Arabs. Once that dies down, then we can start hating the Asians.

It is tough to grasp two things at the same time. Right now, we are bashing Arabs. Once that dies down, then we can start hating the Asians.

626634[/snapback]

Once it dies down, we'll be back discussing steroids or video games. This should be grounds for a few more letters or emails. Or could it be, our representatives are misleading us again?

OK.

626630[/snapback]

Without getting into whether or not the view is baseless or has merit, I believe that statement means that the deal would have seemed more palatable had the company simply been owned by a foreign entity, and not an actual foreign government. I can see the distinction. It's like the difference between a palestinian owning the company vs. a company owned by the PLO....individual vs. nation-state.

EDIT: The PLO is probably not a great example, but you get my meaning.

Edited by Johnny Coli

626630[/snapback]

What's more...what is it about foreign owned companies that makes them less of a security risk than companies owned by foreign governments? You'd almost think it would be the other way around... :huh:

Funny, too, that this argument is brought to you by the same people who typically argue that anything important should be a government program, and corporations can't be trusted. :(

Without getting into whether or not the view is baseless or has merit, I believe that statement means that the deal would have seemed more palatable had the company simply been owned by a foreign entity, and not an actual foreign government.  I can see the distinction.  It's like the difference between a palestinian owning the company vs. a company owned by the PLO....individual vs. nation-state.

EDIT: The PLO is probably not a great example, but you get my meaning.

626667[/snapback]

Smokescreen. COSCO is owned by the Chinese government. I don't see any distinction between the UAE owning DPW and China owning COSCO. In fact, as the family pretty well IS the government in Dubai, it's actually less sinister from that regard.

Smokescreen. COSCO is owned by the Chinese government. I don't see any distinction between the UAE owning DPW and China owning COSCO. In fact, as the family pretty well IS the government in Dubai, it's actually less sinister from that regard.

626676[/snapback]

Like I said, I wasn't commenting on the merits of the statement. I was just trying to see where they were coming from.

626676[/snapback]

Brings up another interesting point, too: if the issue is companies owned by foreign governments managing our ports, and not Arabs, how are they going to write the BS xenophobic legislation they're talking about to block DPW without blocking COSCO, without making it look racist?

I imagine there's a way...but every way I think of either demonstrates the utterly racist nature of the issue, or royally pisses off the Chinese.

Brings up another interesting point, too: if the issue is companies owned by foreign governments managing our ports, and not Arabs, how are they going to write the BS xenophobic legislation they're talking about to block DPW without blocking COSCO, without making it look racist? 

I imagine there's a way...but every way I think of either demonstrates the utterly racist nature of the issue, or royally pisses off the Chinese.

626684[/snapback]

That's sort of my point. Grandfather clause? The expedient thing to do would be to remove the ammendment, and let it die. I don't know if that can even be done.

They seem to have painted themselves into a corner. Oh, there are several layers to COSCO's operations, but it's owned actually by the Chinese military, if I'm not mistaken. Now how's THAT for a good idea?

What's more...what is it about foreign owned companies that makes them less of a security risk than companies owned by foreign governments?  You'd almost think it would be the other way around...  :huh:

Funny, too, that this argument is brought to you by the same people who typically argue that anything important should be a government program, and corporations can't be trusted.  :(

626671[/snapback]

And the other side is arguing racism, lol.

What's more...what is it about foreign owned companies that makes them less of a security risk than companies owned by foreign governments?  You'd almost think it would be the other way around...  :D

Funny, too, that this argument is brought to you by the same people who typically argue that anything important should be a government program, and corporations can't be trusted.  :)

626671[/snapback]

So wait a minute. You're calling the left hypocritical? Wow, earth shattering......... :w00t:

To be clear: They're all hypocrites.  Except this current administration, which is actually very consistent and dedicated to the course they've taken.

Whatever it is.  :)

627346[/snapback]

Funny, I actually had politicians in my post instead of the left but changed it. Yes they are all hypocrites, it's just the party NOT in power seems to stick it's foot in it's mouth more often.

Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation?

Oh...HSBC?  Oh okay.  Thats american.

627684[/snapback]

Don't let the name fool you. It's a perfectly fine lilly white British bank.

OK.

626630[/snapback]

Yeah, my dad and I were talking about that last night. It's amazing how stupid these people are.