The two FA signings so far makr a lot of sense

Niether Triplett or certainly Royal look like momemtous signings which will be a key for us to make the playoffs this year, but hello Beuller, its possible in an NFL where worst to first is possible in a short time unlike ever before, but there is simply no silver bullet FA signing or draft pick that is going to make this team even a favorite the make the playoffs.

Instead, we are talking about the necessity of the Bills really having a "small ball" approach to building a winner/ It strikes me that our acquisitions need to fulfill a number of aspects to be good picks:

A. The FAs and the first day draftees need to have a very good shot at being starters in 06.

B. The players need to have some upside as development prospects, this is true not merely for the draftees, but we are desperately looking for our new starters to be at a point in their career to not only start ut POTENTIALLY be the next Bryce Paup type FA acquisition (this almost certainly will nor be the case as this as a demand is unreasonable, but we need players who at least make that not an insane hope to have.

C. They ned to be cost effective and not prohibit us from making other key signings.

D> Most important his skills need to fit our plans to the extent we can figure out what Marv/Jauron have in mind.

Both Royal and Triplett fulfill these aspects IMHO.

Royal- Some troublesome injury issues his first two seasons. However, he had a solid though not illustrious campaign last year. For the most part he started for the 'Skins last year and press reports in the DC papers indicate that their HC Joe Gibbs has oublicly expressed a sense that he was going to resign and come back to be the Dkins TE. He is the odds on favorite to start for us at TE.

Also Royal is just entering his peak production the next few years since he is well on the right side of being 30. Further, though his receivings #s are far fron impressive, last year was a career year for him and clearly he is developing into a more oroductive player.

On the third point, folks are talking about us overpaying him Royal, but they do not seem to take into account that in partticular right after the new CBA agreement the new contracts are large for a normal person like you or me, but th contracts are amsll compared to the going rate.If the Bills were paying TE fracchise # even transition # then I would judge that too much but from what I have seen he will barely be at the level of the 10th higest cap hit this year and will be no where near the average of the top 10 TE contracts.

Finally for Royal does he fit into our scheme. Its unclear what the new scheme wull be but for sure its hoinh o feature heavy doses on WM and I like us getting a blocking TE we will have train to be more of a receiver rather than geta receiver you have o train to block. Preferably we want both and in the face of the salary cap system we must make good choices which limitations.

I thonk the calculus for Triplett is much the same.

Niether Triplett or certainly Royal look like momemtous signings which will be a key for us to make the playoffs this year, but hello Beuller, its possible in an NFL where worst to first is possible in a short time unlike ever before, but there is simply no silver bullet FA signing or draft pick that is going to make this team even a favorite the make the playoffs.

Instead, we are talking about the necessity of the Bills really having a "small ball" approach to building a winner/ It strikes me that our acquisitions need to fulfill a number of aspects to be good picks:

A. The FAs and the first day draftees need to have a very good shot at being starters  in 06.

B. The players need to have some upside as development prospects, this is true not merely for the draftees, but we are desperately looking for our new starters to be at a point in their career to not only start ut  POTENTIALLY be the next Bryce Paup type FA acquisition (this almost certainly will nor be the case as this as a demand is unreasonable, but we need players who at least make that not an insane hope to have.

C. They ned to be cost effective and not prohibit us from making other key signings.

D> Most important his skills need to fit our plans to the extent we can figure out what Marv/Jauron have in mind.

Both Royal and Triplett fulfill these aspects IMHO.

Royal- Some troublesome injury issues his first two seasons.  However, he had a solid though not illustrious campaign last year.  For the most part he started for the 'Skins last year and press reports in the DC papers indicate that their HC Joe Gibbs has oublicly expressed a sense that he was going to resign and come back to be the Dkins TE. He is the odds on favorite to start for us at TE.

Also Royal is just entering his peak production the next few years since he is well on the right side of being 30.  Further, though his receivings #s are far fron impressive, last year was a career year for him and clearly he is developing into a more oroductive player.

On the third point, folks are talking about us overpaying him Royal, but they do not  seem to take into account that in partticular right after the new CBA agreement the new contracts are large for a normal person like you or me, but th contracts are amsll compared to the going rate.If the Bills were paying TE fracchise # even transition # then I would judge that too much but from what I have seen he will barely be at the level of the 10th higest cap hit this year and will be no where near the average of the top 10 TE contracts.

Finally for Royal does he fit into our scheme. Its unclear what the new scheme wull be but for sure its hoinh o feature heavy doses on WM and I like us getting a blocking TE we will have train to be more of a receiver rather than geta receiver you have o train to block.  Preferably we want both and in the face of the salary cap system we must make good choices which limitations.

I thonk the calculus for Triplett is much the same.

625277[/snapback]

Thanks PG

I believe the negative outbust yesterday was in frustration that we still have not made any improvements to our OL.

The Royal signing just strike me as moves that TD would have done... addresses a need but it's a need that at the bottom of the list.