Signing Nate just got more challenging

EC-Bills

Knowing Nate, he probably WANTS more than Champ Bailey.

624970[/snapback]

Uhh, he does. He's said on numerous ocassions that he wants to be the highest paid CB in the league and even stood by it after the season was over.

Thats not really that much money, but I'm suprised Brian Williams got that much.  I dont see how this effects Nate Clements signing a long term deal.  Nate Clements is gonna get more then Brian Williams regardless.

624969[/snapback]

My take on it is that if a mid-tier CB is getting that much (signing bonus, etc.) then it's only going to jack up what Nate thinks he can get.

Uhh, he does.  He's said on numerous ocassions that he wants to be the highest paid CB in the league and even stood by it after the season was over.

624973[/snapback]

All the more reason to hope he signs a one year tender and draft Michael Huff. As Huff can man the SS spot as a rookie and we can shift him to CB if we can't agree to terms for a long term contract with Nate.

It doesn't matter what Nate thinks.  What matters is what the market will bear for an above average corner coming off a bad year.  How can he expect to be the top paid corner in the league when he didn't even make it as an ALTERNATE to the Pro Bowl?  He's not in the top 8.

624979[/snapback]

Nate Clements (5 years) avgs 4 picks a season.

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

TOTAL Bills 80 362 287.0 75 1.5 20 261 13.1 54 4 45

11 Career forced fumbles 6 total tds 4 picks 2 punt returns

Champ Bailey(7 years) avgs 4 picks a season

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

TOTAL Skins/Den 110 474 433.0 41 1 29 263 9.1 65 3 86

5 career forced fumbles 4 career td's 3 picks 1 rushing

Stats wise Clements has a great argument. His stats match up to the best in the league. I used Bailey cause a lot of people seem to think he's the consensus best. Looking at the stats to me they seem pretty even excpet in the playmaking catagory. It can be argued that Clements is a bigger playmaker then Bailey. As his 6 more forced fumbles and 2 more tds in 2 less seasons can atest to. Clements will be paid and paid big time.

Nate Clements  (5 years)  avgs 4 picks a season.

Year Team  G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

TOTAL Bills  80 362 287.0 75  1.5  20 261 13.1 54  4 45

11 Career forced fumbles  6 total tds  4 picks  2 punt returns

Year      Team    G Total Tckl  Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

TOTAL Skins/Den 110 474 433.0 41  1    29 263 9.1 65 3 86

5 career forced fumbles  4 career td's  3 picks  1 rushing

Stats wise Clements has a great argument.  His stats match up to the best in the league.  I used Bailey cause a lot of people seem to think he's the consensus best.  Looking at the stats to me they seem pretty even excpet in the playmaking catagory. It can be argued that Clements is a bigger playmaker then Bailey.  As his 6 more forced fumbles and 2 more tds in 2 less seasons can atest to.  Clements will be paid and paid big time.

624998[/snapback]

The Bills are in a position of negotiating power with Clements as particularly with the new CBA and the increased cap we should be quite content to plau/pay him with the tag. The major fear we might have is that a miffed player simply mails it in. However, everyvody including NC has to admit that this past season was disappointing after getting a Pro Bowl nod. he simply cannot afford to play his hardest next year in what will be a contract year.

Nate Clements  (5 years)  avgs 4 picks a season.

Year Team  G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

TOTAL Bills  80 362 287.0 75  1.5  20 261 13.1 54  4 45

11 Career forced fumbles  6 total tds  4 picks  2 punt returns

Year      Team    G Total Tckl  Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def

TOTAL Skins/Den 110 474 433.0 41  1    29 263 9.1 65 3 86

5 career forced fumbles  4 career td's  3 picks  1 rushing

Stats wise Clements has a great argument.  His stats match up to the best in the league.  I used Bailey cause a lot of people seem to think he's the consensus best.  Looking at the stats to me they seem pretty even excpet in the playmaking catagory. It can be argued that Clements is a bigger playmaker then Bailey.  As his 6 more forced fumbles and 2 more tds in 2 less seasons can atest to.  Clements will be paid and paid big time.

624998[/snapback]

i wish they had a stat for how many times nate got burned :blink:

It doesn't matter what Nate thinks.  What matters is what the market will bear for an above average corner coming off a bad year.  How can he expect to be the top paid corner in the league when he didn't even make it as an ALTERNATE to the Pro Bowl?  He's not in the top 8.

624979[/snapback]

try telling that to nate