Do you guys think the Triplett signing will

I'm cool with Stovall as well, although the red flag around him is that he didnt do ANYTHING until Charlie Weiss got there.  Baskett has been improving every single year without any help.

625250[/snapback]

Well offensive production usually goes up when you get a competitent scheme and coach in there. The kid has a TON of upside. He's big, strong, quick, good leaper, the only question mark are his hands in my eyes, which can be improved with work. I see this kid as potentially being anumber one WR in the league.

Well offensive production usually goes up when you get a competitent scheme and coach in there. The kid has a TON of upside. He's big, strong, quick, good leaper, the only question mark are his hands in my eyes, which can be improved with work. I see this kid as potentially being anumber one WR in the league.

625253[/snapback]

I like Stoval a lot and had a chance to see him play a lot this season (my little sis is a Notre Dame athlete so I gotta cheer them on). I think Baskett could be a real steal though for someone in the third or fourth. That kid was dominant in the game I saw, really impressive. IMHO Baskett has even more upside and more speed....

Scouting reports

Hank Baskett

Height: 6-2 7/8 | Weight: 224 | 40-Time: 4.49

Official Bio

Strengths:

Has tremendous size...Very physical and knows how to use his big frame...Is an excellent natural athlete...Has great hands...Will routinely make the spectacular reception...Great leaper who was the 2004 Mountain West Conference outdoor high jump champion...Can be a major threat in the red zone...Has excellent body control...Runs well after the catch...Plays faster on the field than he times.

Weaknesses:

Does not have elite speed or quickness...Is not much of a deep threat and won't run away from pro defensive backs...Needs to round out his game and refine his technique...Is not as good of a blocker as a guy his size should be...Has some trouble beating the jam at the line...Can run better routes...Missed some time as a freshman with a spinal injury that will need to be checked out by the doctors.

Notes:

Doesn't get the attention he deserves as one of the premier senior wideouts in the nation...Has everything you look for except pure speed and is a bit of a big school sleeper...Could potentially be a #1 receiving target at the next level.

Maurice Stoval

Height: 6-4 3/8 | Weight: 217 | 40-Time: 4.61

Strengths:

Has tremendous size and knows how to use his large frame...Has great body control and can make the acrobatic catch...Leaper who will go up and get the ball at its highest point...Strong and physical...Willing blocker who does a tremendous job in that area...Not afraid to go over the middle...A bit of a long strider who is deceptively fast...Came through with a huge senior season under Charlie Weis.

Weaknesses:

Lacks elite speed / quickness and may have trouble separating from DB's at the next level...Didn't really emerge and play up to his potential until recently...Needs to keep his weight in check like he did as a senior...Will not do much in terms of yards after the catch...Will have concentration lapses...Doesn't seem to have natural hands and will drop some balls...Might only be a posession receiver.

Notes:

Could potentially bulk up and become a tight end or H-Back in the pros...With his size and ability this guy can be a terror to cover in the red zone...Intriguing prospect whose stock is on the rise thanks to a breakout season in '05.

I think this is exactly the type of signing a team makes to ensure that it doesn't necessarily have to draft for need on draft day.  So,  yes,  I think its much more likely now that we will pass on a DT (and I think it would be Bunkley),  focus on another position in the draft,  and pick a DT in R2 or 3.

625013[/snapback]

Exactly! It sets us up for choices. You can then draft for value primarily rather than need.