Marv calls Royal one of best blocking TEs in NFL

I'm paraphrasing, and I apologize if this was already posted, but Marv confirmed conventional wisdom that the Royal signing was intended to give us another legit blocker and helo the OL. He also said he thinks the Skins didn't utilize him as a pass-catcher, but that he has that potential as well.

As for Triplett, the most interesting thing Marv had to say was that the Bills other DT would likely be a bigger guy who could play directly over the center and serve more as a run stuffer. Looks like Triplett-Ngata in the middle to me ...

I'm paraphrasing, and I apologize if this was already posted, but Marv confirmed conventional wisdom that the Royal signing was intended to give us another legit blocker and helo the OL.  He also said he thinks the Skins didn't utilize him as a pass-catcher, but that he has that potential as well.

As for Triplett, the most interesting thing Marv had to say was that the Bills other DT would likely be a bigger guy who could play directly over the center and serve more as a run stuffer.  Looks like Triplett-Ngata in the middle to me ...

624916[/snapback]

If he's there at 8, I think we'll be drafting Ngata too. Where are these Marv comments coming from, was there a press confrence I missed?

http://buffalobills.com/player/?FILE_300=h...y.rm&proto=rtsp

Sounds like Davis may be coming aboard as well.

And if Marv thinks he's one of the best blocking TE's out there, I feel better about the signing.

And as for Moulds, it sounds like they're still expecting him to agree to do something with his contract, whether it's a paycut or restructuring, I don't know.

Edited by MadBuffaloDisease

Stop.  :blink:

625016[/snapback]

From Espn scout insider rating 62-which by espn standers means hes no better than a back up.

The thing that bothers me the most about this signing is that its reportedly 5 years 10 mill thats 2 mil a year for a back up player. Why are we even spending that much on a TE we just released a 1.5 mil TE. Sounds like we dont know the value of positions and are already overpaying.

Royal has good overall athletic ability but only above average speed and quickness. He is a position blocking tight end and short to intermediate receiver. He has a good motor, plays hard and he works to sustain his blocks. As a blocker, he is not your prototype TE who is going to knock you off the ball rather he is going to shield you off and use his hands to get separation from the defender. He does a nice job on sealing off on his backside blocks. He takes good angles off the ball to get to the second level and he is effective on his combination blocks. Although he is a willing blocker, he is not physical and he does not play with a mean streak. He plays too high and he does not have good leverage and power. He has a narrow base, he lacks lower body strength to get movement at the point of attack and he will get knocked back at times. As a receiver, he gets off the ball quickly, he runs good routes and he finds the soft spot in the zone. He has good hands, he will adjust to the ball in the air and he will make the hard catch. He can puck the ball, he will lower his shoulders and he has decent run after the catches ability. However, Royal does not have the overall speed to stretch the secondary and he is most productive on short to intermediate routes. He is a short strider and it takes him awhile to get to top speed and he is not a home run threat. He is not crisp out of his breaks and can not create good separation from linebackers and safeties. Overall, Royal lacks big play ability and he is not an overpowering drive blocker but he is still young and he has the tools to develop.

Stl Bills Posted Today, 08:14 PM If he's there at 8, I think we'll be drafting Ngata too.

MadBuffaloDisease Posted Today, 08:20 PM

http://buffalobills.com/player/?FILE_300=h...y.rm&proto=rtsp

Sounds like Davis may be coming aboard as well.

Maybe it'll be: 1st round Vernon Davis

2nd round Gabe Watson

Maybe, just maybe, this is the same type of thing as when Dorenbos was cut before last season in favor of Schneck(?). We wound up paying more, but look at what this small change spurred for the STs, Lindell in particular.

If this is a sign that we FINALLY get serious about getting back to the running game we need here (and I think Marv does see this), then stand aside.

For all those freaking about the money, it's doubtful that Royals even finishes that contract out, and it's probably backloaded. (See: Jay R., Dave Moore, Mark Campbell)

"Davis meanwhile was impressed with the Bills organization and said that quarterback Kelly Holcomb was a big reason Buffalo was his first stop. Davis is discussing the club's offer with his wife, but added he has no other visits planned."

I wonder if that statement will have any effect on the quarterback battle and/or his signing?

"Davis meanwhile was impressed with the Bills organization and said that quarterback Kelly Holcomb was a big reason Buffalo was his first stop. Davis is discussing the club's offer with his wife, but added he has no other visits planned."

I wonder if that statement will have any effect on the quarterback battle and/or his signing?

No on the first part and probably on the 2nd. If he's got no other visits, he'd be wise to take the Bills' offer.

Maybe, just maybe, this is the same type of thing as when Dorenbos was cut before last season in favor of Schneck(?). We wound up paying more, but look at what this small change spurred for the STs, Lindell in particular.

If this is a sign that we FINALLY get serious about getting back to the running game we need here (and I think Marv does see this), then stand aside.

For all those freaking about the money, it's doubtful that Royals even finishes that contract out, and it's probably backloaded. (See: Jay R., Dave Moore, Mark Campbell)

625090[/snapback]

Speaking of Schneck, we got to re-sign him. I know LS isnt a big deal, but hell...he DID make the Pro Bowl last year.