Early, but a strange start to free agency

jahnyc

I appreciate that it is early, but Royal seems like a strange signing in terms of the amount of his contract. It seems like a lot for a guy who has been a back-up. Is this the market rate?

With regard to Davis, I guess he would make more sense if Moulds leaves. Can this guy be a second wr? I don't think Parrish can be anything more than a third receiver.

I noticed that Triplett was described a "reserve" lineman for the Colts. Is that true? If so, I hope we don't sign him except for depth, unless he can become a quality starter. I have a feeling that the will be very expensive.

Many of the free agents I had hoped the Bills would pursue are off the market already.

I appreciate that it is early, but Royal seems like a strange signing in terms of the amount of his contract.  It seems like a lot for a guy who has been a back-up.  Is this the market rate?

With regard to Davis, I guess he would make more sense if Moulds leaves.  Can this guy be a second wr?  I don't think Parrish can be anything more than a third receiver.

I noticed that Triplett was described a "reserve" lineman for the Colts.  Is that true?  If so, I hope we don't sign him except for depth, unless he can become a quality starter.  I have a feeling that the will be very expensive.

Many of the free agents I had hoped the Bills would pursue are off the market already.

624869[/snapback]

I admit I liked Andre' Davis coming out VA Tech because of his size/speed numbers though he has yet to show he can be a starting WR in the NFL to date. If the Bills hope he's going to replace Moulds think we're in a mess of trouble.

In terms of Triplett, he's been a solid guy for Indy but they did sign Corey Simon who did replace him as a starter. I'm not going to say I'm upset with Triplett's signing as he does fit the mold of DT Jauoron is looking for and has experience in a cover 2 defense but felt Ryan Pickett was a better all around player.

Finally in looking at Royal, if the numbers are correct in that he signed a backloaded deal and only expected to count $1 million against this year's cap I think he's a solid signing but nothing to write home about.

If Royal is really a good blocking TE, then I don't think it's a bad signing. I think that would help the O line/running game.

We need a bunch of DTs, so I'm good with Triplett also.

Davis might have some potential. He showed some flashes of being a good WR in Cleveland.

Overall, I agree it's kind of strange. Nothing that really blows your socks off but I like the fact that we're going after younger FAs. They seem to be looking long term, rather that win now, which I think makes more sense. (But, of course it's only day one FA so who knows)

I am okay with Royal but it seems like an above market deal for a guy who was not a starter. Triplett seems like a good addition, but can he be an effective starter? He was third in a rotation. I think this points out that not only do we need starters at DT, but depth as well.

Still need to address oline. I hope the Bills sign Runyan and a guard or center.