The Best Cookbook In Your House

Spend lots of time in Savannah Paul.  The last five years I've rented a big house on Tybee Island, have nephews who compete in the Rugby tournament there and spent a lot of time in the Irish pub with new york city cops and firefighters. What a great city for a party.  Great restaurants.  Mrs. Wilkes is closed now, or so I hear.

623739[/snapback]

It's pretty sweet on St. Patties Day too! mmmm....green beer!

Spend lots of time in Savannah Paul.  The last five years I've rented a big house on Tybee Island, have nephews who compete in the Rugby tournament there and spent a lot of time in the Irish pub with new york city cops and firefighters. What a great city for a party.  Great restaurants.  Mrs. Wilkes is closed now, or so I hear.

623739[/snapback]

She died, and it went to sh-- after that. We got tired of Tybee. When they tore the DeSoto down for condos, it marked the changing of the guard. And yeah, I've run across Sandra Bulloch in Spanky's.

She died, and it went to sh-- after that. We got tired of Tybee. When they tore the DeSoto down for condos, it marked the changing of the guard. And yeah, I've run across Sandra Bulloch in Spanky's.

623748[/snapback]

Nice girl that Sandra...long neck though :lol::doh::P This year its up to Albany New York to change the grandkids diapers for a few days. Maybe we'll do a long weekend in late May.

Looking for personal recommendations for the best cookbook you have in your house.

Wifey can spend hours thumbing through cookbooks old and new, and we try to spend each weekend cooking something new. We have about 100 cookbooks from all over the world, and we're looking for some new titles.

We have four favorites:

1) Rao's Cookbook (from the famous Harlem restaurant)

2) The Barbeque Bible (a must for anyone who owns a grill and takes it seriously)

3) Dear S.O.S. (A collection of LA-based restaurant recipes from the LA Times)

4) Cucina & Famiglia (which we tracked down after watching "Big Night")

Any and all suggestions appreciated. Bonus points if you reference specific recipes from the books.

623688[/snapback]

The Women's Home Companion Cook Book. My copy is dated 1943 - published by P.F. Collier & Son. It's about 950 pages.

It's a book from times when prepared foods were a rarity, meat dishes were a special treat for most folks, eating out was for special occasions, and angst about salt, butter, eggs etc. was non-existent.

If it flew, swam, walked, or grew in the ground, it got eaten!

If you come across it somewhere, pick it up. You and your wife will enjoy it.

Nice girl that Sandra...long neck though :D  :D  :D This year its up to Albany New York to change the grandkids diapers for a few days.  Maybe we'll do a long weekend in late May.

623754[/snapback]

All this talk about food has me craving for a Grouper Sammmmich.

I've forwarded to, CBI, and equifax your name and address, you friggin slow paying Libitard. :lol:

:doh::P:D:pirate::lol::lol:

It's pretty sweet on St. Patties Day too! mmmm....green beer!

623745[/snapback]

Saint Patricks is still a great time on River Street, but has gone downhill since they put up the fence and went to smaller "to go" cups. Ever dodge rattlesnakes on Little St Simons?

Yep been over to Little SSI more than a few times, used to do a lot of kayaking when I lived on SSI and little SSI made a good place to stop and have a sandwich mid-day.

The women just make things , but this is good

Pennsylvania Dutch Recipes

section on Mennonite and Amish also interesting perhaps.... :lol:

623744[/snapback]

I've got one called the "Lancaster Co. Amish Cookbook." There's a lot of great American staple recipes in there (esp. the pies section)... but I think they're all on the Crisco payroll.

"The Bread Book" by Anthony Blake and Her Name Escapes Me Now.... Really well written, step-by-step instructions and photos. For anyone serious about bread, this is recommended. Their Ole Bollen recipe is the best I've seen.

One I picked up last year, the "Hartford Veterans' Center Recipe Book." Nicely put together by mostly 'Nam vets who get together on Monday nights. It's got a picture of a P-38 on the cover(!) so how can you pass that up? Excellent stuffed pepper recipe and three for catfish.

The Betty Crocker Cookbook - the older version, which required effort, not heating somthing in the microwave

Dinosaur Bar-B-Que: An American Roadhouse

Anything by Ten Speed Press - I know one of the marketers at Ten Speed, and he is a great cook also. His specialty is getting resturants and other specialty cooks to put out cookbooks.

Here's some of his books from a Google Search.

I love cooking. My most used cookbook is Culinary Artistry by Page and Dorenberg. Other great books

Escoffier

The Professional Chef-Gessler

Culinary Institute book

Harold Mcgee Science of Cooking

Larouse

Reinherts Bread books

anything by James Peterson- I like his sauces book and his French book

Le Technique- Jaques Pepin

Rick Bayless has some great Mexican cookbooks too

All this talk about food has me craving for a Grouper Sammmmich.

I've forwarded to,  CBI, and equifax your name and address, you friggin slow paying Libitard.  :D

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :blush:  :lol:

623776[/snapback]

hey..where were you in February when I was there? Told you I was at the Sand Key. Ate at Frenchy's the Columbia (great meal) and a few other good places. You're grouper sat and sat...finally a pretty blonde ate it. She said thanks. :D

I love cooking.  My most used cookbook is Culinary Artistry by Page and Dorenberg.  Other great books

Escoffier

The Professional Chef-Gessler

Culinary Institute book

Harold Mcgee Science of Cooking

Larouse

Reinherts Bread books

anything by James Peterson- I like his sauces book and his French book

Le Technique- Jaques Pepin

Rick Bayless has some great Mexican cookbooks too

624314[/snapback]

Who are you kidding.......you're telling me you use Escoffier and Larousse to cook with?? There isn't a recipe in there from this side of the Civil War. But if you read them because their cool...now that's different. :(

Looking for personal recommendations for the best cookbook you have in your house.

Wifey can spend hours thumbing through cookbooks old and new, and we try to spend each weekend cooking something new. We have about 100 cookbooks from all over the world, and we're looking for some new titles.

We have four favorites:

1) Rao's Cookbook (from the famous Harlem restaurant)

2) The Barbeque Bible (a must for anyone who owns a grill and takes it seriously)

3) Dear S.O.S. (A collection of LA-based restaurant recipes from the LA Times)

4) Cucina & Famiglia (which we tracked down after watching "Big Night")

Any and all suggestions appreciated. Bonus points if you reference specific recipes from the books.

623688[/snapback]

There is a really good Sour Cream Chicken Enchilada dish in this cookbook. :("A Taste of Oregon"

Who are you kidding.......you're telling me you use Escoffier and Larousse to cook with??  There isn't a recipe in there from this side of the Civil War.  But if you read them because their cool...now that's different.   :(

628146[/snapback]

Talivet and Fannie Farmer are my favorites. All kidding aside I was thinking the exact same thing when I read this. Pete you da man. Here's some names worth looking up:

Charlie Trotter-executive chef in nyc @ charlie trotter's which was awarded relais & chateaux (I've heard the guys a dick)

Gray Kunz-executive chef owner at cafe gray nyc (I would highly reccomend a real nice guy and innovative with food)

Patrick O' Connell-executive chef at the inn at little washington america's #1 restaurant

Nobu Matsuhisa-co-owns I believe 7 different restaurants in the world (this guy impresses me the most)

These guys all have great cook books to check out, fyi.

I'm like Paul, I don't use books for recipes.  I read them to kind of give me ideas of where to start, get's the creative juices flowing.  But if I had to choose it would be this book..........because I have a couple fo recipes published in it along with a bio in the back. 

Mmmmmm, cooking with beer

628143[/snapback]

Consider me officially publically impressed. Not only are you published in a cookbook, but it's a cookbook based on my favorite liquid. I will absolutely get this book as fast as possible. Very, very, very cool.

Consider me officially publically impressed. Not only are you published in a cookbook, but it's a cookbook based on my favorite liquid. I will absolutely get this book as fast as possible. Very, very, very cool.

628389[/snapback]

Don't ask me what recipe is in the book, I don't remember. You'll have to get the book to find out. :(