Golisano Bills owner = more NFLPA power

My guess is that Golisano owning the Bills will actually make the NFLPA more powerful for several reasons even a long-winded cuss like me can state briefly.

Think about it and feel free to give me the answers why this is likely true and you will win the prize for understanding the economics of the NFL.

Feel free to ignore this if you think it is stupid or not worth your valuable time but if you are brave enough to list the several succinct reasons why this likely true I think this is will be interesting.

A winner will be picked later or if no one is interested enough to post I will simply put up my rationale,

Posters on here complain about Ralph being too cheap, You think Golisano is going to be any better. The man is purely a buisnessman first, team supporter second (I like him and thank him for buying and saving the sabres) The sabres first concern is making sure the team turns a profit. This board would go insane when we are operating the team on a budget way less then the cap limit.

But if he was willing to come in and keep the team in Buffalo I would say he is good enough for me.

I think he'd be tougher on the NFLPA. I think he was one of the driving forces, behind the scenes, in the NHL lockout.

This new labor agreement appears to be a bit of a punt. The owners didn't really want to bother with potential problems now, so they put it off until 2011. I think Tom G. would have argued strongly to deal with things now, even if it meant losing a season. He would have wanted a smaller percentage of revenue going to the players.

I think he'd be tougher on the NFLPA. I think he was one of the driving forces, behind the scenes, in the NHL lockout.

This new labor agreement appears to be a bit of a punt. The owners didn't really want to bother with potential problems now, so they put it off until 2011. I think Tom G. would have argued strongly to deal with things now, even if it meant  losing a season. He would have wanted a smaller percentage of revenue going to the players.

623497[/snapback]

The NHL and the NFL are two totally different situations, with EVERY NFL team making money (and plenty of it). To think the situations should be/would have been treated the same is naive. Stopping the NFL to make a point would have cost the opwners MILLIONS of dollars in PROFIT. (Shutting doen the NFL saved many owners millions of dollars in losses.) Good businessmen don't toss profits away to make a point.

EDIT: Except for Tom G who has tossed over $100 million of his money away on failed-from-the-start attempts to run for Governor of NYS. So there's that. :lol:

Edited by The Dean

NFLPA power??  Didnt think there was such a thing....

These guys play the toughest sport in the world....average the shortest careers...yet have no guaranteed contracts....

623527[/snapback]

Firefighters and cops have the toughest jobs in the world...can even get killed like a couple of officers did in this area recently...yet over the span of their careers they probably don't make 1/2 of what "these guys" make for a year

You want me to cry for them? Excuse me...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Firefighters and cops have the toughest jobs in the world...can even get killed like a couple of officers did in this area recently...yet over the span of their careers they probably don't make 1/2 of what "these guys" make for a year

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

623607[/snapback]

Agreed

623607[/snapback]

Completely agree. I envy you guys who have been here for awhile and can say this without getting ripped on.......someday........

Agreed

623638[/snapback]

Well, of course no one whould cry over any athlete's or entertainer's salary...but, the comparison is pretty flawed, IMO (especially from a conservative like Gavin who you'd think would respect the supply vs demand nature of the economy.)

Let's face it, nobody deserves to make that kind of $...and that includes the owners, IMO. But, it's a big business that generates big dollars. And do you know what the business is? The PLAYERS. Pure and simple...THEY are the business. No players = no product. And, they cannot be easily replaced (as witnessed by the strike season). How much money did the owners make playing the scrubs? Clearly it makes good business sense for them to keep the product something people are willing to pay huge amounts of money to watch and be involved with.

As for the cops and firefighters. I appreciate and applaud them. However, I didn't realize there was a dearth of qualiified applicants. The tough standards it takes to be a Niagara Falls cop is legendary. I know several guys who graduated (maybe) from my high school who are cops. I assure you they are making FAR more $ than just about any other job they could have managed to get. These are low level creatinous (sp?) individuals who spent more time in detention than in class. Thugs and punks who now get to bully around the general population.

I also know a couple of very nice fireman who, quite frankly, are as smart as a bag of hair. They could easilly be well built stockboys at Tops.

The NHL and the NFL are two totally different situations, with EVERY NFL team making money (and plenty of it).  To think the situations should be/would have been treated the same is naive.  Stopping the NFL to make a point would have cost the opwners MILLIONS of dollars in PROFIT.  (Shutting doen the NFL saved many owners millions of dollars in losses.)  Good businessmen don't toss profits away to make a point.

EDIT:  Except for Tom G who has tossed  over $100 million of his money away on failed-from-the-start attempts to run for Governor of NYS.  So there's that.  :lol:

623521[/snapback]

It's not naive, it's smart business. If the owners would have played hardball with the players, they would be paying significantly less in revenue each year. Your short term loss would be small compared to the long term gain. 59.5% vs 56% is 210 million dollars a year at the 6 billion in revenue the NFL makes annually. Plus the players will just ask for more when this deal is over, now that they realize the owners will cave in this easily.

As for the cops and firefighters.  I appreciate and applaud them.  However, I didn't realize there was a dearth of qualiified applicants.  The tough standards it takes to be a Niagara Falls cop is legendary.  I know several guys who graduated (maybe) from my high school who are cops.  I assure you they are making FAR more $ than just about any other job they could have managed to get.  These are low level creatinous (sp?) individuals who spent more time in detention than in class.  Thugs and punks who now get to bully around the general population.

I also know a couple of very nice fireman who, quite frankly, are as smart as a bag of hair.  They could easilly be well built stockboys at Tops.

623678[/snapback]

And my grandfather was a NY State Trooper, one uncle was a guard at a County Jail, another uncle is a County Deputy, and my brother is a Professional Firefighter/SWAT Team/Paramedic. Don't you ever tell me Cops/Firefighters are dumb. I know what my family members went through do what they do. Not everyone could put in the time and efforts they did.

My guess is that Golisano owning the Bills will actually make the NFLPA more powerful for several reasons  even a long-winded cuss like me  can state briefly.

Think about it and feel free to give me the answers why this is likely true and you will win the prize for understanding the economics of the NFL.

Feel free to ignore this if you think it is stupid or not worth your valuable time but if you are brave enough to list the several succinct reasons why this likely true I think this is will be interesting.

A winner will be picked later or if no one is interested enough to post I will simply put up my rationale,

623114[/snapback]

What is the prize? :lol::lol:

What makes a strong union is one that has the discipline among members to strategically defend members' interests. I always thought that when it came to players, their discipline wasn't that high. So many players are making so much money in such a small window of time, that for players to actually sit out the year in a strike (or lockout) would be doubtful. They eventually crack when the paychecks stop coming in.

And, it's tough for the players to gain a lot of sympathy from the general public when there's any threat of work stoppage. People don't see a detrimental injustice and usually side with the owners. We're not talking about a police union here, right or wrong it's a millionaire's union.

On a side note, the NFLPA would gain some perception points, thus gaining power, by limiting rookie salaries. 50 million dollars to QB Alex Smith? Really? How about giving him ten million and spreading the other 40 million out to proven players. Wouldn't the union approve of this as its members are NFL players and not current college sophomores?

So how would Galisano make the NFLPA more powerful? He wouldn't, in my opinion. He would be first in line to try to break them (maybe that's too strong, but he would definitely try to curb them). He's a very determined, sometimes arrogant man who would be willing to stand up to the NFLPA if they tried to runaway with more power. Yes, he might spend more "cash over cap" money, making the money supply bigger (is this one of your points?) but he would fight any unreasonable "power play" the union might throw at the owners.

And if necessary, he would take a zero off the end of the players paychex. :lol:

And my grandfather was a NY State Trooper, one uncle was a guard at a County Jail, another uncle is a County Deputy, and my brother is a Professional Firefighter/SWAT Team/Paramedic. Don't you ever tell me Cops/Firefighters are dumb. I know what my family members went through do what they do. Not everyone could put in the time and efforts they did.

624065[/snapback]

I hope you don't think I believe cops or firefighters are dumb as group...I don't. Just as I don't believe pro athletes are dumb as a group.

My point was, many cops and firefighters are doing what they want to do and getting paid more for that job than they would at many others for which they might be qualified. Same for athletes...although the difference between the pay differential for those jobs is HUGE.

However, athletes are the product of their sports and there is great demand for their services (there are far more people who qualify to be a cop or firefighter than pro athlete). Also, people pay HUGE amounts of money to watch these athletes play.

Who's more important to our society? Not even close...cops and firefighters. But that makes no difference when it coms to monetary reward and to compare these two lines of work makes no sense when it comes to salary.