With rumblings of Mawae and Runyan

If Runyan is signed it probably means Jason Peters would be getting a shot at LT. If that's the case look for Mike Gandy to return to the LG spot he played in Chicago before he came here. Filling out the line would be Vill at RG, and Mawae at C. This line would certainly be a physical veteran group, and overall it would be a big improvement at a reasonable cost. My only concern would be the development of the left side and depth since several of these players would be in their mid 30's.

I think it would be a substantial improvement, but you gotta remember if we get those 2, we can still draft depth at tackle and Geisinger will be back healthy this year as well. Plus Preston can pretty much play any of the interior positions.

If what you are saying is Peters, Gandy, Mawae, Villarial, and Runyon, then yes, I would be very happy as long as at least one promising guard is taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. I like Peters at LT way better thab Shaffer and any other draft pick besides the Brick, who I think he can be almost as good as because of his athletisism, which is why people are all over the Brick.

If what you are saying is Peters, Gandy, Mawae, Villarial, and Runyon, then yes, I would be very happy as long as at least one promising guard is taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. I like Peters at LT way better thab Shaffer and any other draft pick besides the Brick, who I think he can be almost as good as because of his athletisism, which is why people are all over the Brick.

623052[/snapback]

Good take, I agree.... though ideally I'd rather see that promising Day 1 pick be good enough to start so Villarial can be chopped.

I say we would still draft a tackle and an interior lineman and it would be good not to throw them right into the fire. This would also be good for Preston, I'm not sure if he's ready to be a full time starter, but who better to show him the ins and outs of the position than someone like Mawae. Same scenario for Runyan being able to help develop an up and commer in Jason Peters (and possibly a young draft pick). I would be very happy with this line and it would be pretty cost effective.

Maybe that drat pick could start for Villarial or Gandy Rico. But right on StlBills, it would be nice to not have to throw anybody right into the fire. Preston is definitley not ready in my book as well. We have so many needs, if this happens, I think we could wait on a RT of the future maybe one more year. I'm totally on the Peters as LT of the future right now.

One thing though, if Gandy was my starter at LG for a year, it'd be a stop-gap move due to too many other holes to fill. He's a little too much of a finesse player for my interior OL, I want them mean & nasty in there. :rolleyes:

I'd be content as long as Duke Preston gets a chance to compete with Chris Villarrial for the rg spot. A Line that consists of mawae/runyan/villarrial is a little too old for comfort. I'd also like to do a little better then Mike Gandy at guard. I know it's a lot of nit picking and you cant overturn the entire line, but this line just seems old imo. I'd like to instill some youth.

Also of note......

In 2003 when Gandy started over a dozen games at LG for Chicago his HC was none other then Dick Jauron.

623064[/snapback]

Actually, he played LT that year. Gandy has actually played mostly at LT in the NFL. In college he was a RG.

In 2004 he played 5 games at RG before he was injured and released.

2002: Made his NFL debut for the Bears 4 weeks into the season and went on to establish himself as a starter at 2 different positions over the final 11 games of the campaign… Started at LG Games 6-10 before moving to LT for Games 11-16… Inactive for the first 2 games before being active for the first time in his career vs. NO (9/22); active but DNP… Made NFL debut at BUF (9/29) on special teams… Subbed for injured LG Rex Tucker vs. GB (10/7)… Took over starting LG position with first NFL start at DET (10/20)… Moved to LT when Marc Colombo was lost for the year to injury and made first career start at the position vs. DET (11/24) after never having played the position before at any level during his career.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player_bi...layer_id=122592

I'd be happy with Joseph AND/or Tutui. Jean-Giles & Spencer scare me, I'm worried about them blobbing out.

623107[/snapback]

And for good reason Rico....at the combine Spencer was grouped with the Tackles and he weighed the heaviest, Gean Jiles was the heaviest guard

Actually, he played LT that year.  Gandy has actually played mostly at LT in the NFL.  In college he was a RG.

In 2004 he played 5 games at RG before he was injured and released.

2002: Made his NFL debut for the Bears 4 weeks into the season and went on to establish himself as a starter at 2 different positions over the final 11 games of the campaign… Started at LG Games 6-10 before moving to LT for Games 11-16… Inactive for the first 2 games before being active for the first time in his career vs. NO (9/22); active but DNP… Made NFL debut at BUF (9/29) on special teams… Subbed for injured LG Rex Tucker vs. GB (10/7)… Took over starting LG position with first NFL start at DET (10/20)… Moved to LT when Marc Colombo was lost for the year to injury and made first career start at the position vs. DET (11/24) after never having played the position before at any level during his career.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player_bi...layer_id=122592

623123[/snapback]

Oops, I read a different page and I thought it said LG, turns out it did say LT so thanks for clarifying. As for how that impacts these projections Gandy was probably the biggest stretch at LG on this line. He might just end up having the same role he had with Chicago, a versatile backup G/T.

If Runyan is signed it probably means Jason Peters would be getting a shot at LT.  If that's the case look for Mike Gandy to return to the LG spot he played in Chicago before he came here. Filling out the line would be Vill at RG, and Mawae at C.   This line would certainly be a physical veteran group, and overall it would be a big improvement at a reasonable cost. My only concern would be the development of the left side and depth since several of these players would be in their mid 30's.

623049[/snapback]

i like this because it gives our young guys (on roster and draft picks) time to develop. many have said mawae is old and cant play, personally i dont care, i just want him around, i want our players to see the work ethic and what they need to do on and off the field to be successful.

Who is rumbling about Runyan? Us? Too bad we don't make the signings. Yes, there has actually been word in the media that Mawae is expected to talk to the Bills, but I haven't heard aything about Runyan yet. In fact, the only real report I've seen is that the Eagles' fomer offensive coordinator Brad Childress is looking to bring Runyan aboard in Minnesota. I'm just pointing this out as I think we are far from having the o-line situation sured-up.

My Mock v 3.0

Buffalo trades #8 to St. Louis for #11 overall pick and #46.

1. Broderick Bunkley DT-FSU

2a. Davin Joseph- G OU

2b. Claude Wroten DT-LSU

3a. Jason Allen S-Tenn

3b. Andrew Whitworth T-LSU

4. Pat Watkins S-FSU

5. Charles Gordon CB-Kansas

6. Brad Smith QB/WR-Missouri

7. David Thomas TE-Texas

I'm thinking your draft appeals to me most, StL. Shows one can still get our needs met with quality players at each position.

Jean-Gilles was voted biggest tub of goo at the combines. That said, he has the weight, leverage, and meanness Gandy doesn't.