Is the Sabres game on TV?

Aside from the first 30 seconds, the Sabres look pretty craptacular...maybe we DID need another D-Man afterall. Three HUGE penalties already, they look totally unfocused in the 1st.

That is a huge problem with this team, it seems like every time we have a chance to gain ground on the Sens, we immediately screw up and fall back.

2-1 Tampa Bay now. Yikes.

:)

2-2 now...Dumont's got two goals.

Still though, our Defense looks terrible tonight and our passing is embarassing.  They're lucky as hell to escape this period still tied.

622912[/snapback]

Agreed. It seems the Sabres are treating their defense problems like the Bills treat their O-line: Do nothing and eventually it will fix itself...

It's not a defense thing. There are alot of factors contributing to tonight's effort:

1. Everyone on the team now feels safe.

2. Tampa has been SPANKED a couple of times over the last few games and they are pissed.

3. We scored on the first shift - almost always a disaster because teams relax when that happens.

4. Different defensive pairings. McKee is with Campbell (Rug Fugger is a SCRATCH. Lydman is with Tallinder and Teppo is with Kalinin (first game back.

5. Different line combos. Gaustad is at LW with Drury and Grier for the first time this season (I think). I like this line (could be the one that faces other team's number ones in the playoffs). Briere/Dumont/Hecht are still together and look terrific. Roy/Kotalik/Vanek is new and look a little off kilter. Pom is with very rusty Tim Connelly (who has missed two terrific chances to score) and Max. We could have something there.

We're seeing some bad plays because of these changes that'll tighten up considerably as time goes on. To be honest I like alot of what I'm seeing 5-on-5, which has been tough for us most of the year. I'm disappointed in the PK but when you changeup D-pairs there are mistakes and we've seen two that have led to goals.

There were only 2 defensemen moved today that were worth the Sabres looking at: Sopel and Lukowich. Everyone else is a bagger.

I think my complaint about them is that they seem to make very silly mistakes at the worst possible times. Like just now, they go up 4-3...get a surge going...and then get a penalty. It just slows everything down, every time they appear as if they are going to run away with it, they get caught doing something foolish.

As good as they've been this year, they HAVE to tighten up those mental screws when it comes to these games where they can gain ground on the Sens.

Here's a wacky stat...the Sabres have only taken 16 shots on goal tonight, and have five goals. Compare that to TB who has already put up 27 shots.

That means almost 1/3rd of time the Sabres shoot the puck, the score a goal :rolleyes:

Hopefully that short-handed one just pulled the life right out of the Bolts.

Newsflash: We're really fuggin' good, regardless of the kind of game teams want to play. 8-5 BUFFALO. Roy with ANOTHER hat, JP with a pair.

Good times. Within 2 points of Ottawa - same number of games played. Four wins against the defending SC champs this season.

Wow! What a goal!!!! Cambell gets no point, but made it happen

622945[/snapback]

Campbell did get an assist. He was the guy that passed it to Gaustad. Lorentz was mistaken. I replayed it on the DVR and it's clear as day. He was credited with it - 1 assist and a +1.