It's Official...(for those who don't PPP)

;)  :lol:  :lol:  ;)  Looks like he'd assumed you'd pay as much attention to his note as he did to yours. 

Kind of makes one want to call for open, armed revolution, doesn't it?

636321[/snapback]

"V" is that you? You might scare the cats if you wear a mask.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  ;)  Looks like he'd assumed you'd pay as much attention to his note as he did to yours. 

He was wrong. :lol:

Kind of makes one want to call for open, armed revolution, doesn't it?

636321[/snapback]

I have already started stockpiling. ;)

Brewers starting revolutions. It is a fine tradition in this country.

636407[/snapback]

I recently popped open my interpretation of a Poor Richard's Ale, so I guess I have been inspired. :lol:

Washington...Jefferson...Adams...Franklin...All brewers.

I recently popped open my interpretation of a Poor Richard's Ale, so I guess I have been inspired.  :lol:

Washington...Jefferson...Adams...Franklin...All brewers.

636425[/snapback]

I believe Washington gave it up later on and started making wiskey and rum. More bang for the buck I guess. But I remember that from my several tours of his house over the years.

Here is the response from Santorum to my e-mail:

Reading comprehension is obviously not a strong suit of this Congresscritter (or more accurately the aide of the congresscritter who wrote this).

Here is my response to Senator Santorum:

636256[/snapback]

Don't worry, Ken. Come November, you won't have "Senator Environment" to kick around anymore...Casey Extends Lead [over Santorum] in Pennsylvania Senate Race.

Don't worry, Ken.  Come November, you won't have "Senator Environment" to kick around anymore...Casey Extends Lead [over Santorum] in Pennsylvania Senate Race.

636433[/snapback]

That would mean a lot more to me if I knew something about Casey. Unfortunately, Santorum's idiocy does not preclude Casey being a moron as well.

That would mean a lot more to me if I knew something about Casey.  Unfortunately, Santorum's idiocy does not preclude Casey being a moron as well.

636437[/snapback]

They can't all be idiots.

Wait, um, nevermind....

That would mean a lot more to me if I knew something about Casey.  Unfortunately, Santorum's idiocy does not preclude Casey being a moron as well.

636437[/snapback]

Bob Casey for PA

Here's his website. Ken and other PA'nians will have to tell you if it's nonsense or not. I submit most anyone would be better than Santorum, but I'm a bit biased.

636437[/snapback]

Exactly. If elected, one could only hope he sucks less.

636437[/snapback]

You do not want Casey to win, either. Krawchuk (the Libertarian) is also bad. Basically, you are eff'ed with all of the choices. I do not see one as better than any other.

Bob Casey for PA

Here's his website.  Ken and other PA'nians will have to tell you if it's nonsense or not.  I submit most anyone would be better than Santorum, but I'm a bit biased.

636457[/snapback]

I don't think recognizing that anyone would be better than Santorum is biased; I think it's just a minimum requirement for being considered sane.

And I'd submit that Casey's a better choice than Santorum. Still..."better than Santorum" is shooting pretty damned low. At least, Casey doesn't seem like a total schmuck from his web site (I'd rate him maybe a '5' on the Official Crap Throwing Monkey Schmuckitude Scale, with '0' being an unachievable lack of schmuckiness and '10' being best described as 'Newbie'), which in itself is pretty high praise these days.

You do not want Casey to win, either. Krawchuk (the Libertarian) is also bad. Basically, you are eff'ed with all of the choices. I do not see one as better than any other.

636483[/snapback]

I don't care who wins. To me, Pennsylvania is that unfortunate area between MD and NY that I try to drive through as quickly as possible. :lol:

I believe Washington gave it up later on and started making wiskey and rum.  More bang for the buck I guess.  But I remember that from my several tours of his house over the years.

636432[/snapback]

Not suprising. Copies of his beer recipe are floating around. I know some homebrewers who have tried to replicate his beer, but without much luck (tasted like crap).

Franklin's is a little better (I have one aging as we type). Unfortunately, Jefferson's does not exist. One local microbrew claims to have replicated it, but I do not see how they could say it is accurate.

I don't care who wins.  To me, Pennsylvania is that unfortunate area between MD and NY that I try to drive through as quickly as possible.  :lol:

636493[/snapback]

Don't worry. We do not like you, either. :lol:

To me, Pennsylvania is that unfortunate area between MD and NY that I try to drive through as quickly as possible.  :lol:

636493[/snapback]

Don't you think those states know it? Half of the budgets are funded by indirect contributions to the state troopers in DE/PA/NJ...

"We" do not like you.  What are you, the Borg?  PA changing their license plate from "You've got a friend in..." to "You will be assimilated in..."?

636521[/snapback]

Resistance is futile.

• 2 months later...
The Senate site is finally working and I contacted both of my senators. I also sent a letter to the editor of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Auto-replies were received from CNN and Rep. Fitzpatrick.

623548[/snapback]

I finally got a response from Fitzpatrick:

Dear Mr. Crippen,

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the sale of US port terminals to the state-owned Dubai Ports WOrld, located in the United Arab Emirates. I appreciate your taking the time to share your views with me on this important issue.

More than 9 million marine containers enter U.S. ports each year. While the Bureau of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) analyze cargo and other information to target specific shipments for closer inspection, it still physically inspects only a small fraction of the containers under its purview. The U.S. maritime system consists of more than 300 sea and river ports with more than 3,700 cargo and passenger terminals nation wide.

The 9/11 Commission highlighted specifically the need to increase port security when it stated the following in its report:

While commercial aviation remains a possible target, terrorists may turn their attention to other modes. Opportunities to do harm are as great, or greater, in maritime and surface transportation. Initiatives to secure shipping containers have just begun.

Given these facts, there is absolutely no question that the sale of terminals in strategic ports across the United States to a state-owned company in the UNited Arab Emirates raises clear national security concerns that should be addressed by COngress. Although there has been much speculation and commentary on the impact of this sale on our homeland security, one necessary and important fact that goes to the heart of this issue remains unchanged - The United States Coast Guard and the Department of Homeland Security remain solely in charge of our port security.

THe first question that Congress must address is how CFIUS came to their decision to allow DPW to purchase P&O in the first place. By law, any foreign investment proposal that calls into question our national security is required to have a thorough 45 day review by CFIUS. (Note by KRC - This is incorrect. They are required to take no more than 45 days to review) If a transaction is deemed a threat, CFIUS could recommend to the President that he should use a legal mechanism known as Exon-Florio authority to cancel the sale on national security grounds. In the case of Dubai Ports World, CFIUS completed only a 31 day review. Additionally, I am concerned that the powers vested to the President through Exon-Florio, which was written in 1998 with a Cold War mindset, do not permit flexibility in this post 9/11 world to deal with terrorist threats. We cannot allow a pre 9/11 legal framework to govern security matters in 2006. Congress must review CFIUS' review of the DPW purchase; and for that review to take place. Additionally, CFIUS must be reformed so that there will be greater transparency for future transactions.

COngress' hesitance to allow this sale to go forward is not a matter of knee-jerk reactionism against the United Arab Emirates because it is an Islamic country. Instead, it is a debate that must take place because it calls into question the manner with which our government considers sales of critical American infrastructure to foreign interests. The same level of concern should be paid to sales of property to any foreign nation due to concerns over corporate or strategic espionage, drug trafficking or any other illegal act that could compromise our national security as well as our sovereignty.

Although Dubai is now an ally in the War on Terror, some of its past and current actions call its commitment into question. These are but a few of the issues that Congress must clear up in their review of the port sale:

-Before the 9/11 attacks, notorious Al-Queda terrorist Khalid Sheikh Mohammad delivered a large amount of cash, perhaps $120,000, to the 9/11 plot facilitator Abdul Aziz Ali in Dubai. Ali then used the cash to wire funds to the hijackers in the United States;

-Hawala, the traditional network of underground banks operated through family or clan connections shuffled money to Al-Queda terrorists during the planning of the 9/11 attacks. Dubai allowed these "banks" to operate, allowing Al-Queda to launder their money;

-THe UAE, and Dubai Ports WOrld are currently taking party in a boycott of Israel. The United States bars firms doing business in the U.S. from taking part in boycotts of Israel;

-There are questions regarding the UAE's support of the terrorist group Hamas: On July 27, 2005, the Palestinian Information Center carried a public Hamas statement thanking the UAE for it's "unstinting support." The statement said: "We highly appreciate his highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Bin Sultan Al-Nahyan (UAE president) in particular and the UAE people and government in general for their limitless support...that contributed more to consilidating our people's resoluteness in the face of the Israeli occupation;"

-Pakistani scientist A.Q. Khan used it as a crossroads for shipping nuclear technology and material to Iran;

-Dubai served as a hub for the transportation of WMD material to rogue nations such as Iran and Lybia.

Given the weight of these issues, Congress must act to seriously review CFIUS' approval of the Dubai Ports World sale. I support my colleagues who have called for a halt of the sale, and look forward to taking an important role in scrutinizing the transaction. As legislation on this issue moves forward, I will keep your views in mind. If you have any questions or concerns in the future regarding this or any other legislative issue, please do not hesitate to contact me. For more information on my work for the people of Pennsylvania's 8th Congressional district, please visit my website at www.fitzpatrick.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Michael G. Fitzpatrick

Member of Congress