Adam Morrison vs JJ Redick

Simon

This is getting really pathetic. Neither of these guys are the best player in the country but the media sees a couple good white jump shooters on a couple "white" teams and they're falling all over themselves to proclaim them as great players. Pshaw....

They're both one-dimensional players who don't play any defense, don't distribute the ball, don't rebound(although I have seen Morrison rebound a lot of his own bricks due primarily to his horrible shot selection) and can't play inside. Hell, Redick isn't even the best player on his own team.

I watched UConn a couple weeks ago and they put not 1, not 2, but 3 guys on the floor who I thought were better players than eitehr of these two media darlings. It's going to be funny watching ESPN and their ilk when these two one-trick-ponies find themselves in the NBA and can't even do the one thing they supposedly excel at because they'll have superior defenders manning them up.

I hope both Duke and Gonzaga run into low-ranked BigEast teams in the 2nd round. :w00t:

This is getting really pathetic. Neither of these guys are the best player in the country but the media sees a couple good white jump shooters on a couple "white" teams and they're falling all over themselves to proclaim them as great players. Pshaw....

They're both one-dimensional players who don't play any defense, don't distribute the ball, don't rebound(although I have seen Morrison rebound a lot of his own bricks due primarily to his horrible shot selection) and can't play inside. Hell, Redick isn't even the best player on his own team.

I watched UConn a couple weeks ago and they put not 1, not 2, but 3 guys on the floor who I thought were better players than eitehr of these two media darlings. It's going to be funny watching ESPN and their ilk when these two one-trick-ponies find themselves in the NBA and can't even do the one thing they supposedly excel at because they'll have superior defenders manning them up.

I hope both Duke and Gonzaga run into low-ranked BigEast teams in the 2nd round. :w00t:

620839[/snapback]

Hook em.

Simon, you must be smoking some pretty good schitt. I haven't seen Gonzaga play so I won't comment with respect to Morrison, but as a Carolina alumnus and card-carrying Duke hater, I know from whence I speak when it comes to assessing Redick. He is, hands down, the best shooter I've ever seen in college basketball. The only reason his stats have slipped over the past 4-5 games is because Coach K has done a putrid job (for the 2nd year in a row) of developing any legitimate 3rd option behind JJ and Sheldon Williams. The guy has to play over 37 minutes a game and he's simply wearing down, just as he did at the end of last season. He literally carries the load of the Devils on his back on a regular basis, and deserves all the accolades being thrown in his direction.

If you want to call Redick one-dimensional, then you haven't watched Duke over the past two seasons. Redick is all-dimensional. He handles the ball on nearly every Duke possession and his assist-to-turnover ratio is >1. Don't bother telling me that he doesn't rebound -- he's not supposed to rebound. His defense is adequate, but he puts more pressure on a team than anyone else in the game because of his offensive ability.

Oh, and to show that he isn't "just" a shooter, Redick worked on his ball-handling and driving ability over the past two seasons to the extent that he now gets to the FT line over 7 times a game -- where, by the way, he is an over-90% shooter.

I will be THRILLED when Duke loses its last game this season and I never have to see JJ lined up against my Tar Heels again.

(Ugh. That was painful, and I have an awful taste in my mouth.)

GO HEELS!!

Simon, you must be smoking some pretty good schitt.  I haven't seen Gonzaga play so I won't comment with respect to Morrison, but as a Carolina alumnus and card-carrying Duke hater, I know from whence I speak when it comes to assessing Redick.  He is, hands down, the best shooter I've ever seen in college basketball.  The only reason his stats have slipped over the past 4-5 games is because Coach K has done a putrid job (for the 2nd year in a row) of developing any legitimate 3rd option behind JJ and Sheldon Williams.  The guy has to play over 37 minutes a game and he's simply wearing down, just as he did at the end of last season.  He literally carries the load of the Devils on his back on a regular basis, and deserves all the accolades being thrown in his direction.

If you want to call Redick one-dimensional, then you haven't watched Duke over the past two seasons.  Redick is all-dimensional.  He handles the ball on nearly every Duke possession and his assist-to-turnover ratio is >1.  Don't bother telling me that he doesn't rebound -- he's not supposed to rebound.  His defense is adequate, but he puts more pressure on a team than anyone else in the game because of his offensive ability.

Oh, and to show that he isn't "just" a shooter, Redick worked on his ball-handling and driving ability over the past two seasons to the extent that he now gets to the FT line over 7 times a game -- where, by the way, he is an over-90% shooter.

I will be THRILLED when Duke loses its last game this season and I never have to see JJ lined up against my Tar Heels again.

(Ugh.  That was painful, and I have an awful taste in my mouth.)

GO HEELS!!

622006[/snapback]

I am proud of you eBall, that was very big of you. Please keep this in mind the next time someone on this board says that Tom Brady is overrated or that he sucks. I HATE TOM BRADY, but if I had to pick one QB in the NFL to be on the Bills it would be him, hands down.

P.S. Morrison has the best stache in college basketball, hands down.

Simon, you must be smoking some pretty good schitt.  I haven't seen Gonzaga play so I won't comment with respect to Morrison, but as a Carolina alumnus and card-carrying Duke hater, I know from whence I speak when it comes to assessing Redick.  He is, hands down, the best shooter I've ever seen in college basketball.  The only reason his stats have slipped over the past 4-5 games is because Coach K has done a putrid job (for the 2nd year in a row) of developing any legitimate 3rd option behind JJ and Sheldon Williams.  The guy has to play over 37 minutes a game and he's simply wearing down, just as he did at the end of last season.  He literally carries the load of the Devils on his back on a regular basis, and deserves all the accolades being thrown in his direction.

If you want to call Redick one-dimensional, then you haven't watched Duke over the past two seasons.  Redick is all-dimensional.  He handles the ball on nearly every Duke possession and his assist-to-turnover ratio is >1.  Don't bother telling me that he doesn't rebound -- he's not supposed to rebound.  His defense is adequate, but he puts more pressure on a team than anyone else in the game because of his offensive ability.

(Ugh.  That was painful, and I have an awful taste in my mouth.)

GO HEELS!!

622006[/snapback]

Excellent post.

I honestly don't see Redick's game translating into a great (or even above average) NBA career, but there's no denying he's had a great run @ Duke, and not just because of his shooting. And yeah, it was sweet for the Heels to beat them in his last game @ Cameron. Nice. If Roy isn't coach of the year, then they shouldn't have the award @ all. He's done a remarkable job of turning a program that lost its top 7 scorers into a Top 10 team the following season.

Excellent post. 

I honestly don't see Redick's game translating into a great (or even above average) NBA career, but there's no denying he's had a great run @ Duke, and not just because of his shooting.  And yeah, it was sweet for the Heels to beat them in his last game @ Cameron.  Nice.  If Roy isn't coach of the year, then they shouldn't have the award @ all.  He's done a remarkable job of turning a program that lost its top 7 scorers into a Top 10 team the following season.

622286[/snapback]

Roy was named ACC Coach of the Year yesterday with 87% of the votes. What the other 13% were thinking, I don't know.

Also, while my wife and I were eating at Outback last night, I saw Tyler Hansbrough at the bar (eating, not drinking). When he got up I got his attention and shook his hand; I told him "thanks for beating Duke." He just grinned. :rolleyes:

Excellent post. 

I honestly don't see Redick's game translating into a great (or even above average) NBA career, but there's no denying he's had a great run @ Duke, and not just because of his shooting.  And yeah, it was sweet for the Heels to beat them in his last game @ Cameron.  Nice.  If Roy isn't coach of the year, then they shouldn't have the award @ all.  He's done a remarkable job of turning a program that lost its top 7 scorers into a Top 10 team the following season.

622286[/snapback]

JJ and Morrison are both deserving of the player of the year talk. Does it help that they're white? Of course...but they are fine COLLEGE ballplayers.

AS far as coach of the year...it's clear (to me) that it's Roy hands-down. (FWIW, Bill Self has done a fine job at Kansas and you have to like Jay Wright's year.). But dig THIS list from the SF Chronicle:

10. John Thompson III, Georgetown: After years of decline, the Hoyas are back in the national discussion under the second-year coach.

9. Al Skinner, Boston College: The Eagles have become a national power under Skinner, who righted the team this season after the Eagles began conference play 0-3.

8. John Calipari, Memphis: The Tigers have risen steadily from the mediocrity he inherited to become the nation's No. 5 team.

7. Bill Self, Kansas: Criticized when his freshman-laden team started 3-4 overall and then 1-3 in the Big 12, Self got his the Jayhawks to finish tied for first with No. 8 Texas.

6. Billy Gillispie, Texas A&M: The Aggies were 0-16 in the Big 12 in 2004, the year before Gillispie arrived. They began Big 12 play 3-6 this year, but have won seven in a row, including a win over Texas, to finish fourth.

5. Roy Williams, North Carolina: Succeeding after losing four players taken among the first 14 picks of the NBA Draft demonstrates program stability.

4. Lorenzo Romar, Washington: The Huskies were lousy when Romar arrived, but they have finished second the past three seasons, and this season they did it with two freshmen starting after losing three starters, including two all-conference players.

3. Jay Wright, Villanova: The Wildcats have improved almost every year under Wright, who has the Wildcats ranked No. 2 with an innovative four-guard lineup and without injured Curtis Sumpter.

2. Ben Howland, UCLA: The Bruins have improved in each of his three seasons, and they won the Pac-10 title this season despite enduring more injuries than many teams have in a decade.

1. Karl Hobbs, George Washington: Hobbs built this team almost from scratch, taking a team with limited tradition and steadily improving until it went 26-1 with a No. 6 ranking this season, winning the past three games without No. 2 scorer and top rebounder Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

AS far as coach of the year...it's clear (to me) that it's Roy hands-down. (FWIW, Bill Self has done a fine job at Kansas and you have to like Jay Wright's year.).  But dig THIS list from the SF Chronicle:

5. Roy Williams, North Carolina: Succeeding after losing four players taken among the first 14 picks of the NBA Draft demonstrates program stability.

4. Lorenzo Romar, Washington: The Huskies were lousy when Romar arrived, but they have finished second the past three seasons, and this season they did it with two freshmen starting after losing three starters, including two all-conference players.

3. Jay Wright, Villanova: The Wildcats have improved almost every year under Wright, who has the Wildcats ranked No. 2 with an innovative four-guard lineup and without injured Curtis Sumpter.

2. Ben Howland, UCLA: The Bruins have improved in each of his three seasons, and they won the Pac-10 title this season despite enduring more injuries than many teams have in a decade.

1. Karl Hobbs, George Washington: Hobbs built this team almost from scratch, taking a team with limited tradition and steadily improving until it went 26-1 with a No. 6 ranking this season, winning the past three games without No. 2 scorer and top rebounder Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

622778[/snapback]

His #1 just lost to Temple in the 1st round of the almighty Atlantic 10 tournament. Funny how a west coast writer conveniently puts two WC coaches in his top 4. They have done nice coaching jobs, sure. But better than a guy who replaced his top SEVEN players? Memo to SF Chronicle -- Carolina plays four freshmen regularly. Two of them start. The most experienced player returning to the roster from last season averaged under 5 points a game.

It just ain't even close.

He is, hands down, the best shooter I've ever seen in college basketball......He literally carries the load of the Devils on his back on a regular basis, and deserves all the accolades being thrown in his direction.

Sure he's a great shooter but the problem I have with him being touted as the best player in the nation is that a shooter is all that he is. He reminds me of Reggie Miller in that he doesn't do anything to make his teammates better, he needs his teammates to make him better. Without all those guys setting screens for him to run off he'd be no better than a role player because he doesn't excel at creating his own shots. If a guy is going to be considered as player of the year, he needs to do more to help his teammates instead of relying on them.

He handles the ball on nearly every Duke possession and his assist-to-turnover ratio is >1. Don't bother telling me that he doesn't rebound -- he's not supposed to rebound. His defense is adequate

Yeah he handles the ball on nearly every possession but still can't even register 3 measly assists per game. That's not even quality basketball much less POY worthy. And forget about his weak assist/TO ratio; any player worth his salt has a ratio btter than >1. Reddick's assist/TO ratio is actually only 6th best on the team. Again, not even quality basketball much less POY worthy.

And he doesn't rebound cause he's never anywhere near the paint. Ever. He's 7th on the team with a measly 2 rebounds/game. Even though he's 6'4", that's well behind a 6' freshman point guard and again isn't even good, much less POY quality.

And his defense is certainly not adequate. It's a real liability to Duke's squad.

The only reason everybody's talking about him is because he's putting up points even though he's shooting under 46% from the field. And you know why he's putting up points? Because he's taken over 800 shots this year. Williams is second with just 341 attempts!

The guy is a one-dimensional player who puts up points because he shoots more than twice as much as anybody else on the team. He does nothing to make the players around him better, instead relying on their hard work just to get his open shots. And to top it off he's not even the best player on his own team. The idea of him being the best player in the country is patently absurd in my opinion.