David Glimour's new album

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An MP3 is lossy by definition.

Audio Compression

I'd rather have an identical copy, especially for trading shows. MP3's are OK with me for samples or for the Ipod, that's about it.

635506[/snapback]

Thanks! Is there really that much of a sound difference? I don't know if my equipment isn't up to par, but I can't tell that much difference between a CD and an mp3.

Thanks! Is there really that much of a sound difference? I don't know if my equipment isn't up to par, but I can't tell that much difference between a CD and an mp3.

635507[/snapback]

It can be tough IMO depending on the bit-rate & the encode, but I can usually tell by looking at the waveforms if not my ears.... I liked them very much in the late 90's when the technology first exploded, very cool, and a fast way to get a lot of music.. But now that the cost of media/hard drive storage has gone way down & the number of broadband users has gone way up, why settle for MP3's when you can get the real thing? Just takes a little longer to d/l, that's all. Same can be said now for d/l DVDs instead of VCD/SVCDs, though xvid is pretty popular with some (not me).

Again, I'm particularly talking about trading shows & playing them on a high-end stereo system, not a PC or Ipod. Try trading say some MP3-sourced BNL shows to the wrong crowd, & you'll get slammed pretty hard. Personal use though is cool with me.

It can be tough IMO depending on the bit-rate & the encode, but I can usually tell by looking at the waveforms if not my ears.... I liked them very much in the late 90's when the technology first exploded, very cool, and a fast way to get a lot of music.. But now that the cost of media/hard drive storage has gone way down & the number of broadband users has gone way up, why settle for MP3's when you can get the real thing? Just takes a little longer to d/l, that's all.

Again, I'm particularly talking about trading shows & playing them on a high-end stereo system, not a PC or Ipod. Try trading say some MP3-sourced BNL shows to the wrong crowd, & you'll get slammed pretty hard. Personal use though is cool with me.

635515[/snapback]

I don't mean to hijack this thread...Sorry

Where do you go to DL live shows? I have a bunch, but in mp3 format. Is that not considered cool?

Where do you go to DL live shows? I have a bunch, but in mp3 format. Is that not considered cool?

635516[/snapback]

If you're happy with them, that's all that counts... just don't trade them to the wrong people (the phrase is polluting the pool).

If you're happy with them, that's all that counts... just don't trade them to the wrong people (the phrase is polluting the pool).

635518[/snapback]

OK! Cool!

Where do you go to download?

635516[/snapback]

After USENET, the best places to go is Dime if you have broadband.

They have a cap of 100,000 users & it's usually full, right now there's only 92K, good time to join.

I did a search on BNL, only found 3 torrents:

Barenaked Ladies - 1995.01.28 Glenside PA (re-post)

Barenaked Ladies - DVD - Bravo! Holidays Special, Dec 2005

Barenaked Ladies - 2005/12/31 - Tampa, FL

so for them, you may do better elsewhere

Here's the top 10 most active torrents at this time:

***Queen + Paul Rodgers - Buffalo NY :doh: - March 17th, 2006 - Aud. inc. artwork 1 1 215 216 0.00

2 Doobie Brothers 1977 + 1979 (NTSC pro - Soundstage) DVD 17 10 189 199 0.05

3 *****Talking Heads the True Creatures Demos 1984**** 305 162 33 195 4.91

4 Mahavishnu Orchestra-(Skytop upgrade)-NTSC DVD 0 1 194 195 0.01

5 U2: Twickenham stadium, London, 2005-06-18 (fm, 107 minutes, 20 songs, my master) 0 1 183 184 0.01

6 Led Zeppelin Spitfire 1980-24-6 ~~~SOUNDBOARD!~~~~ 240 131 50 181 2.62

7 QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE - KSAN, SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA 1968*, 1ST & 2ND GIG, FM SBD, new transfer from reel to reel (request). 0 1 170 171 0.01

8 the white stripes - big day out, sydney, 26jan06 - PAL DVD 0 1 162 163 0.01

9 BOWIE - Glass Spider (sbd) 245 105 55 160 1.91

10 David Gilmour - 'Live On A Snowy Island' (Live in Hamburg - 11.03.2006) 2 10 144 154 0.07

NO official material is allowed..go to USENET for that. :lol:

Yeah, this thread is old and tired...and this post is tangential at best. But, why start a new thread?

For all those who give a s#it (not many, I know)...check out this pair of Donald Fagen interviews. Terrific stuff and in BOTH, Mick Jagger gets a positive comment from Don.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/qa/story/...has-player=true

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...PKGRIHOK3L1.DTL