David Glimour's new album

I know it's not a real popular thing to say, but I actually really liked Van Haggar.....Sammy's voice is HUGE. As for the hair thing, Dave can only wish he had Sammy's hair.....I think the last time I saw Dave was on a Howard Stern show on E! tv.....the guy was thin on top and crazy long on the sides....looked ridiculous. Bolton had the same thing going, but had the sense to cut it short. Sometimes I wonder who advises these people....you'd think that along with celebrity status would come some sort of assistant with good taste in appearance and grooming.  :w00t:

620446[/snapback]

You're right. It's not the popular thing to say. It means you are a bad, bad person :lol:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to the entire album on Sirius today, and just picked up the CD. Very mellow...but very beautiful as well. Subtle hints at all of Dave's past Floyd influences...a very good listen.

I've got two tickets to see Dave at Radio City next month and I am totally pumped!

I listened to the entire album on Sirius today, and just picked up the CD.  Very mellow...but very beautiful as well.  Subtle hints at all of Dave's past Floyd influences...a very good listen.

I've got two tickets to see Dave at Radio City next month and I am totally pumped!

620760[/snapback]

What I'm trying to find out is if it's "The Wall" Floyd, I want nothing to do with it. "Dark Side" Floyed, I'd be all over.

What I'm trying to find out is if it's "The Wall" Floyd, I want nothing to do with it.  "Dark Side" Floyed, I'd be all over.

621219[/snapback]

Neither... very, very mellow. Think more like A Pillow of Winds on Meddle.

Great CD, thumbs-up!

Up on Dime:

David Gilmour

Mermaid Theatre, London 2006-03-07

1. On An Island

2. Shine On You Crazy Diamond I-V  <_<

3. Comfortably Numb

Musicians performing: David Gilmour: guitar & vocals, Rick Wright; Keyboards,Vocals on "Comfortably Numb", Guy Pratt: Bass, Phil Manzanera: Guitar :lol: , Dick Parry: Saxophone, Jon Carlin: Keyboards and Steve DiStanislao: Drums.

Digital TV > DVD > TMPEGEnc MPEG Editor > TMPEGEnc DVD Author

Video : 4650 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 720x576 (16:9), MPG2

Audio: Dolby Digtal (AC-3), 48000 Hz Stereo 256 kbps

Chaptered

Grabbed the new Fagen CD last nite at midnite, listened to it already about 5X, by contrast, only listened to On An Island once, could be destined for a trade-in.

Morph The Cat is easliy Donalds' best work since The Nightfly in my opinion. Should be a great show on the 27th in L.A., by the way I have to extra tickets if anyone in the So Cal area is interested in going.

Grabbed the new Fagen CD last nite at midnite, listened to it already about 5X, by contrast, only listened to On An Island once, could be destined for a trade-in.

Morph The Cat is easliy Donalds' best work since The Nightfly in my opinion. Should be a great show on the 27th in L.A., by the way I have to extra tickets if anyone in the So Cal area is interested in going.

629206[/snapback]

Don't make him play too long, as I seem the the following night in Oakland! :doh:

He's had a bad cold and postponed Boston for a couple of nights and cancelled Ottawa (no back-to-backs for a little white). Rumor has it spreading among band members. Let's hope they're all felling better later in the month.

This album KICKS ASS!

Pulse was massively marketed after the Division Bell Tour.

Regarding David Gilmour's new CD - I will pick that up today. I like Floyd way too much for my own good. About two years ago I bought a great DVD of a concert Gilmour gave in England. Bob Geldof and Robert Wyatt appear on it doing Roger's part of Comfortably Numb. Richard Wright appears performing from his 1997 solo album, which I really like.

Here is a link about theConcert with David Gilmour.

620437[/snapback]

I own this DVD (Gilmour's). Play it constantly- it's great.

Jeff Miers gets it. 4-Star Rating

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060317/1023217.asp

Jazz

Donald Fagen

Morph the Cat

[Reprise]

As one-half of Steely Dan, Donald Fagen co-authored one of the most exciting, challenging, and genre-busting bodies of work to have emerged from the '70s. With his partner Walter Becker, Fagen forged the only fully actualized co-mingling of jazz, rock, R&B and funk that we've yet to hear. This stuff could never really be called "fusion"; though Fagen and Becker's bands could certainly rock, their compositional acumen is based in jazz harmony. Call it Ellington with electric guitars.

Away from Becker, Fagen has created moving, intelligent work, but it has fallen a tad short of the high watermark for excellence established by the pair's collaborations. The same has been true of Becker's solo work. Happily, with "Morph the Cat," his third solo album over the past 20 years, Fagen has clearly hit pay dirt. This record measures up to classic Steely Dan efforts like "Aja," "Gaucho" and "The Royal Scam." That's not faint praise.

"Morph" is essentially a valentine to New York City, but Fagen being Fagen, it's a love letter equal parts romanticism, skepticism, irony, rapier wit and literary hijinks. No post-9/11 paeans here, for Fagen has never favored the obvious. Instead, look for the "homeland security hottie" manning the airport checkpoint in "Security Joan," the pair of embattled, world-weary lovers hiding in their bunker in "The Great Pagoda of Funn," or the rascal politicians storming the gates in "Mary Shut the Garden Door." Fagen makes the crumbling of the country, the cultural neuroses, even the impending apocalypse, something you can chuckle about.

Employing most of the studio musicians from the touring Steely Dan ensemble that created nightly magic on the band's "Everything Must Go" tour of 2003, Fagen sculpts gorgeous environments for his impeccably crafted songs. Many are propelled by a funk beat, and there are certainly elements of R&B present throughout. But make no mistake, this is jazz. Fagen favors rich, extended chord voicings in all of his songs, as he and Becker always have with Steely Dan.

In this sense, Fagen has no peer on the current landscape. His music is incredibly sophisticated - musicians will note plenty of augmented triads, lots of ninths and 13ths, and a complete disdain for the standard chord voicings common to modern rock and pop tunes - but it's also sexy, funny, delivered with a wink, and virtuosic without making too big a deal of itself. Which is to say, it's an awful lot like a classic Steely Dan record.

- Jeff Miers