RIP Dana Reeve

It's not unusual for a spouse to pass away a short time after the death of their husband or wife.....but that one caught me by surprise. Kirby Puckett too....broke my heart when I read that. It was hard to watch the Twins beat my Braves in the WS back in the day, but Kirby was a class act. RIP, buddy.

It's not unusual for a spouse to pass away a short time after the death of their husband or wife.....

620223[/snapback]

I can actually back that one up. I used to spend my summers working at Elmlawn Cemetary in Tonawanda on Delaware Ave. I to pass the time, I would read the Gravemarkers and headstones. In many cases, you would see the spouse passing on within a few years of the other. In some cases within weeks. When going through them, I was always amazed that the same pattern would sometimes show in those that had died in their 40's and 50's along with the ones that died in their 70's and beyond.

Sometimes however, you would get a person that died in his 30's or 40's and the wifes name was inscribed and birthdate is there, but the date of death is never entered, in those cases, she had married someone else and been buried somewhere with the new husband. Always felt bad for the guy, all that space down there and nobody to join him.

It's not unusual for a spouse to pass away a short time after the death of their husband or wife.....but that one caught me by surprise. Kirby Puckett too....broke my heart when I read that. It was hard to watch the Twins beat my Braves in the WS back in the day, but Kirby was a class act. RIP, buddy.

620223[/snapback]

Kirby was a class act? :P

But that incident was merely the latest in a pattern of alleged sexual indiscretions and violent acts by the former Minnesota Twins icon, according to the cover story by Frank Deford, with special reporting by George Dohrmann, in this week’s Sports Illustrated.

Puckett has pleaded innocent in the restaurant incident, and is scheduled to go on trial March 24 for false imprisonment and criminal sexual assault.

Laura Nygren, whom SI describes as Puckett's "mistress of many years," told the magazine that Puckett resumed an affair with her just seven weeks after he was married in 1986 -- then cheated on Nygren with numerous other women.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/.../11/si_puckett/

Another

Puckett’s ex-wife, Tonya, divorced him in December, barely a year after she told police that he threatened to kill her during a telephone conversation. Over the years, she told SI, Puckett had also tried to strangle her with an electrical cord, locked her in the basement and used a power saw to cut through a door after she had locked herself in a room. Once, she said, he even put a cocked gun to her head while she was holding their young daughter.

Wow, I'd never heard any of that

620328[/snapback]

Neither had I and like you I had always thought Kirby was a class act. I'd heard about him being charged with sexual assault but he was cleared and I chaulked it up to another chick trying to make a buck by claiming sexual assault. Today on the Colin Cowherd show Colin was talking about how everyone was glorifying Puckett and that he would not, citing the SI article from Deford. When I got home I pulled it up. Needless to say, I no longer think Kirby is a class act...

He and his ex-wife were involved in numerous community projects and during his career he won the Branch Rickey and the Roberto Clemente Man of the Year awards for community service. He’s also a member of the World Sports Humanitarian Hall of Fame.

But that image also was a sham, according to Nygren. One day after he had retired, she told SI, they were together when Puckett said he had to leave to visit a sick child who was waiting to meet him.

“That’s great, you get to make that kid’s day,” Nygren told him. “That must make you feel good.” But she said Puckett just snapped back at her.

“I don’t give a s---,” he said. “It’s just another kid who’s sick.”

Puckett declined to be interviewed for the SI story.

Neither had I and like you I had always thought Kirby was a class act. I'd heard about him being charged with sexual assault but he was cleared and I chaulked it up to another chick trying to make a buck by claiming sexual assault. Today on the Colin Cowherd show Colin was talking about how everyone was glorifying Puckett and that he would not, citing the SI article from Deford. When I got home I pulled it up. Needless to say, I no longer think Kirby is a class act...

620334[/snapback]

Geesh, that really bothers me now....is there NOBODY in pro sports that leads a clean, honest life anymore??? It's getting fuggin ridiculous. I guess there's always A.C. Green :P

I can actually back that one up. I used to spend my summers working at Elmlawn Cemetary in Tonawanda on Delaware Ave. I to pass the time, I would read the Gravemarkers and headstones. In many cases, you would see the spouse passing on within a few years of the other. In some cases within weeks. When going through them, I was always amazed that the same pattern would sometimes show in those that had died in their 40's and 50's along with the ones that died in their 70's and beyond. 

My sister in law's grandparents were married for about 65 years. When 'Pop' died, his wife was in good health, but within 3 weeks got sick and died. Strange but true.

Sometimes however, you would get a person that died in his 30's or 40's and the wifes name was inscribed and birthdate is there, but the date of death is never entered, in those cases, she had married someone else and been buried somewhere with the new husband. Always felt bad for the guy, all that space down there and nobody to join him.

620237[/snapback]

Not necessarily, sometimes that means she is still alive and has not died yet. When they buy plots together they can inscribe the tombstone with the spouses name and birthdate so when the spouse dies, they only have to add the date of death to it.