Haloti Ngata great size

Was he double-teamed? 

619606[/snapback]

On about 60% of the plays, for 20% of them he was triple teamed, leaving him isolated one on one only about 20% of the time. The guy he faced that day is arguably the best G prospect in the draft in David Joseph. I know people want to see Ngata eat OL and then feed them to our defense like a baby bird but he's human. He does what P. Williams can do, and I we found out last year a player like that does have some value.

Apparently he mother was in the hospital during that week, so his mind might now have been on the game.  I still advocate trading up to take Williams or taking Davis, but I'd be fine with Ngata.

619658[/snapback]

I know it is cold and heartless, but once he is in the the NFL, no one but the announcers will give a damn where his mother is, he better have his mind in the game. What did Brett Farve do just days after his father died?

I like his size but in the bowl game against Oklahoma I watched him every play. He did not a thing.  Has anyone seen him play consistent in regular season.  I love his size but I would love to trade down in rd. 1.

619600[/snapback]

Trading down would be ideal. Especially with Denver for their 2 first round picks. I'd take Mangold and Bunkley with those picks in a second if they were still available.

What did Brett Farve do just days after his father died?

619789[/snapback]

Every human should react to the loss of a parent in teh same way? So if any of our parents were to die today we MUST have our best day of our career at work!? If we don't are we substandard because Brett Farve played well when his dad died?

Every human should react to the loss of a parent in teh same way? So if any of our parents were to die today we MUST have our best day of our career at work!? If we don't are we substandard because Brett Farve played well when his dad died?

619821[/snapback]

Yes.

A player like Ngata is not there to be noticed, he is there to take up blockers. Thats his job. Is he was taking up 2 or 3 blockers, he did his job.

Ngata is more of a Pat Williams or Ted Washington type player. They will stay around the line of scrimmage and just eat blockers up all day long.

The thing is, Fewell doesnt want guys that eat blockers up, he wants guys that put pressure consistenly in the backfield and fly around the ball.

A player like Ngata is not there to be noticed, he is there to take up blockers.  Thats his job.  Is he was taking up 2 or 3 blockers, he did his job.

Ngata is more of a Pat Williams or Ted Washington type player.  They will stay around the line of scrimmage and just eat blockers up all day long.

The thing is, Fewell doesnt want guys that eat blockers up, he wants guys that put pressure consistenly in the backfield and fly around the ball.

619861[/snapback]

Sounds like Glover would be a good pickup that would fit his system

Sounds like Glover would be a good pickup that would fit his system

619864[/snapback]

Glover is w/ the Rams.

If they're going to look for 3 technique DTs, they'd do better to trade down and look to draft a guy like Brodrick Bunkley of Florida State.

I like his size but in the bowl game against Oklahoma I watched him every play. He did not a thing.  Has anyone seen him play consistent in regular season.  I love his size but I would love to trade down in rd. 1.

619600[/snapback]

I agree. It was the only game I saw him in. But it was a big game vs. a solid opponent and he didn't play up.

To the poster that asked was he double-teamed, no, not frequently although he was at times. Either way, he moved sluggishly IMO. But for a guy rated as he is, he has to show something, even if he's double teamed.

Who knows, maybe he wasn't feeling well that day or something. As I said, I only saw that one game of his.

A player like Ngata is not there to be noticed, he is there to take up blockers.  Thats his job.  Is he was taking up 2 or 3 blockers, he did his job.

Ngata is more of a Pat Williams or Ted Washington type player.  They will stay around the line of scrimmage and just eat blockers up all day long.

619861[/snapback]

If Ngata is occupying two or three OL then the DE's should be having a field day rushing the QB.

Ngata sprained his knee that game and missed the second half. It is difficult to make plays when one is sitting on the bench with the knee packed in ice.

Ngata is what he is - he is not a great pass rusher and will not chase RBs down from behind. He is, however, more than capable of stuffing NFL double teams. If the objective is for that defense, a Siragusa/Adams type of Ravens D, then he fits well.

A DT that is consistently double teamed is great. Stats for DTs are pretty much useless. Big Ted and Sam Adams do not have great stats when you look at tackles and sacks. But they are consistently the DTs on great defenses (last year excluded). Richard Seymour is the same way. They tie up blockers and let the rest of the DL or LBs make plays. Tackles and sacks are vastly overrated stats for DTs, so I wouldn't be worried about the lack of tackles and sacks in one game for a DT. I would be worried if he was singled up against a guard and was manhandled by the guy. Somehow I doubt that was the case.

A DT that is consistently double teamed is great.  Stats for DTs are pretty much useless.  Big Ted and Sam Adams do not have great stats when you look at tackles and sacks.  But they are consistently the DTs on great defenses (last year excluded).  Richard Seymour is the same way.  They tie up blockers and let the rest of the DL or LBs make plays.  Tackles and sacks are vastly overrated stats for DTs, so I wouldn't be worried about the lack of tackles and sacks in one game for a DT.  I would be worried if he was singled up against a guard and was manhandled by the guy.  Somehow I doubt that was the case.

620093[/snapback]

Seymour not only makes plays himself, but allows other to make plays by taking up blockers. He also plays DE in their 3-4 scheme, while Wilfork anchors the middle of their line. I personally think Seymour is the Pats' X factor, the one guy they need to be a championship contender. When he was healthy, their D looked impressive and they were a contender. When he spent some time out, they looked like crap.

Ngata sprained his knee that game and missed the second half.  It is difficult to make plays when one is sitting on the bench with the knee packed in ice. 

Ngata is what he is - he is not a great pass rusher and will not chase RBs down from behind.  He is, however, more than capable of stuffing NFL double teams.  If the objective is for that defense, a Siragusa/Adams type of Ravens D, then he fits well.

620078[/snapback]

Hmmm...I think he has some history of knee problems, not just that game.