Anyone ever live on a boat?

BB27

That's our retirement goal, in the next 5 years or so.  We're thinking the Caribbean.  In the meantime if you go ahead with your plan, need a chef?  :blink:

619386[/snapback]

Install some hard points for a quick connect for a semi-auto Barrett if ya want to loll around that patch...

"Pirates of the Carribean". ;):D

how much are the dock fees ?? do you both work the same hours ?who pulls the boat out in the winter or do you let it stay in ?? sounds like it could be a lot of fun .

619393[/snapback]

Where I was dock fees were 500.00 a month, although we moored out a quarter mile and payed dock usage fees 100.00 which allowed dinghy tieup and laundry ,shower. If you want dry storage for your boat, theres services you boat to and they pull your boat out and park it in a warehouse.

Install some hard points for a quick connect for a semi-auto Barrett if ya want to loll around that patch...

"Pirates of the Carribean". :D  :blink:

619421[/snapback]

Paul was getting me a 50 Cal. From Isreal I believe, right Paul?

Lastly, be aware of what your "neighbors" down at the harbor might be like.  At least here in the Bay Area, a lot of boat-dwellers are unemployed antisocial misfits with drinking problems.

619324[/snapback]

I don't live on a boat, bastard! :blink:

Being in the San Francisco real estate market, I can definitely understand the temptation.  I haven't lived on a boat myself, but I've known a bunch of people here in the Bay Area who have.  I wouldn't say you're "insane" to be considering it, but from my friends' experiences, I'd advise a hearty amount of caution.  Even on a large sailboat, the living quarters are small, even relative to small apartments.  This could put a lot of strain on the relationship between you and your wife, as every little annoyance is amplified by way of proximity.  Also, one woman I knew who was a boat-dweller always smelled awful, because she was a smoker who lived with another smoker and a dog.  I mean, she smelled *disgusting* all the time.  Lastly, be aware of what your "neighbors" down at the harbor might be like.  At least here in the Bay Area, a lot of boat-dwellers are unemployed antisocial misfits with drinking problems.  Boat living may seem like an independent way to go, but you'll probably wind up moored closely between two boats, whose residents could really influence your quality of life.

Good luck!

619324[/snapback]

At $140 per foot on average, I would say the marina we would stay in would not have many unemployed social misfits. Oh yeah, my wife doesn't smoke, we don't have a dog. We may have a drinking problem, depends on what you see as a problem. The marina we are thinking is quite nice, right in Boston (Charlestown actually), swimming pool, laundry room, etc.

That's our retirement goal, in the next 5 years or so.  We're thinking the Caribbean.  In the meantime if you go ahead with your plan, need a chef?   :blink:

619386[/snapback]

Exactly!!! We both want to work towards going cruising upon retirement. Caribbean is only the first stop, then through the Panama Canal and off the Marquesas.......

Sorry, no chef, I like to cook.

That's our retirement goal, in the next 5 years or so.  We're thinking the Caribbean. 

Mine too, tho my horizon is a lot longer than 5 years. I actually want to sail the thing tho; always wanted to cross the Atlantic and do the island-hopping thing in the Greek Islands. I've sailed the Carribean twice from NYC and back to Boston and to Bermuda, as sort of a crewman for hire when I was in college, in the summers. Cool job.

You said Dinghy :P:)

Where I was dock fees were 500.00 a month, although we moored out a quarter mile and payed dock usage fees  100.00 which allowed  dinghy tieup and laundry ,shower. If you want dry storage for your boat, theres services you boat to and they pull your boat out and park it in a warehouse.

619431[/snapback]

You said Dinghy :P  :lol:

620009[/snapback]

Another word you will like. While living on the boat, I would cast a net towards a pod of baitfish, finger mullets, excellent bait for snook and redfish. Yep even been to the mullet festival in everglades city. Ever try smoked mullet. :)