Miles Austin, WR Monmouth

He's 6-3" 215lb and ran a 4.47 at the combine in the 40 which is pretty good. He's also had 33 TDs in his career. Has anyone here seen him play? Could this guy be someone we should draft?

619079[/snapback]

I heard his interview on Sirius Radio yesterday. I admire his work ethic. Takes nothing for granted.....paid his own tuition at Monmouth. The type of guy that would read his playbook every night and every day.

I heard his interview on Sirius Radio yesterday. I admire his work ethic. Takes nothing for granted.....paid his own tuition at Monmouth. The type of guy that would read his playbook every night and every day.

619083[/snapback]

I heard it too. Sounds like he's at least on the NFL drafting radar. Any Monmouth fans out there that could give us the lowdown?

From Sept 2004 Monmouth paper:

"Austin found numerous ways to score and contribute this week in Monmouth’s thrilling, 29-27 win over conference rival Robert Morris. The junior wide receiver was the offensive catalyst, accounting for 144 of Monmouth’s 307 total yards and three of the Hawks’ four touchdowns. Austin grabbed five passes for 144 yards and two touchdowns on offense, including a 69-yard strike from quarterback Brian Boland (Brick, NJ/Brick Memorial) late in the first quarter. On the punt return unit, Austin found another way to cross the goal line after blocking a Robert Morris punt early in the second half and returning the loose ball five yards for the score, to give the Hawks a six-point lead. Currently, Austin leads the NEC with six touchdowns this season. He ranks eight in the nation in scoring (12.00 points per game) and ninth in receiving yardage (129.0 yards per game). "

I saw a tight end who ran a 4.39, I think maybe we should draft him instead.  :blink:

619085[/snapback]

Since Miles Austin will most likely be a day two pick and said TE will be a first rounder, targeting one doesn't necessarily exclude the other.

I saw some of the WR workouts at the combine on TV. Austin didnt really impress me, especially in the guantlet drill. However, if everything else I've read on him in true he could be one of those character guys that fits Levy's system and might be worth a 6th or 7th round selection.

I'm still not sold on Vernon Davis as an NFL TE just yet....

Reggie McNeal was the fastest QB with a 4.34