Hate does crazy things to people.

I have posted about these nut cases before so I am familiar with their lunacy. Even so, I couldn't even guess, as I read the article, what in the world their beef was with fallen soldiers and their funerals. Half way through, the article explained that the US harbors homosexuals thus it is an evil nation and the thus it follows, to their diseased minds, that the US is justly being punished for its gay loving ways when their soldiers are killed. They aren't protesting, they are celebrating the death of American soldiers which they believe is His will being done.

I think real christians and atheists probably have more in common than these freaks have with true christians. No one should smear other christians with the lunacy of these people.

What it does highlight though is the kind of issues relgion in the public square can lead to. Can you imagine these people praying in public schools or the kind of display they might want to see in the Town Square? Certainly, there would be a major difference between what they would pray or display and what mainstream christians would but how would you determine that? A committee to determine acceptable prayers or acceptable displays?

They are an extreme, even an absurd one but the point is uavoidable, some religious expressions and displays in certain places, are problematic. Some calls, like this group, would be easy ones but it isn't hard to imagine closer calls that would be far more difficult to make. That is why we sometimes see the remedy of just barring all religious displays in the public realm.

Sure, it is extreme and seems to throw out the baby with the bathwater. No question there. Still, there is a reason for it, there is logic behind it. It saves us from having to have a committee essentially determining acceptable from nonacceptable religious displays on public grounds. Imperfect solution though it may be, it is not the product of a war on christianity as so often portrayed any more than being against these people celebrating the deaths of soldiers at their funerals would be anti-christian.