Hate does crazy things to people.

Where extremism, patriotism and simple decency collide.

Why people care so much about such things is beyond me.

Can it get much worse than this?http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/14012107.htm

619032[/snapback]

It's going to backfire badly on them some day. I suppose there are more classless ways to protest, but I'm having a hard time coming up with one.

Really? Well, I wouldn't be particularly saddened if someone targeted that church with a Molotov cocktail.

Disgusting.

619065[/snapback]

A few years ago someone did that to them. Went after the church and some of their homes.

They went whining and bitching to the police, and then contacted the FBI.

Ironic, no?

A few years ago someone did that to them. Went after the church and some of their homes.

They went whining and bitching to the police, and then contacted the FBI.

Ironic, no?

619073[/snapback]

If someone had pulled that the day I buried my wife, I can guarantee you things would have become very violent and ugly. Sooner or later someone's large father is going to kill one, and just add to the tragedy.

If someone had pulled that the day I buried my wife, I can guarantee you things would have become very violent and ugly. Sooner or later someone's large father is going to kill one, and just add to the tragedy.

619089[/snapback]

I'm actually surprised more of what you said hasn't happened.

In the article i read (I actually read it on Phelps' website), after their houses got firebombed, the police refused to get involved and basically looked the other way.

Can it get much worse than this?http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/14012107.htm

619032[/snapback]

The caveat to this being that those Westboro people are absolutely nucking futs, and in no way representative of...well, anyone but themselves, frankly.

As evidenced by the fact that they consider Iraq a homosexual issue. :doh:

The caveat to this being that those Westboro people are absolutely nucking futs, and in no way representative of...well, anyone but themselves, frankly. 

As evidenced by the fact that they consider Iraq a homosexual issue.  :doh:

619120[/snapback]

I'm not sure if they truly believe Iraq is a homosexual issues (hard to tell - they are nuts), but they certainly know how to maximize the attention they get by picking that issue. These were the same people who picketed Reagan's guneral procession, among other stunts.

Michael Moore on TV Nation did a segment once where he took an RV full of gay chior members to sing outside of Phelp's house - that was damn funny to see...

Michael Moore on TV Nation did a segment once where he took an RV full of gay chior members to sing outside of Phelp's house - that was damn funny to see...

619125[/snapback]

I'm not a MM fan, but I would love to have seen that!

619120[/snapback]

exactly right. good posting.

I'm not sure if they truly believe Iraq is a homosexual issues (hard to tell - they are nuts), but they certainly know how to maximize the attention they get by picking that issue. These were the same people who picketed Reagan's guneral procession, among other stunts.

Wasn't their justification that Reagan started the funding against AIDS, and in doing so supported gays?

619125[/snapback]

My respect for Moore actually doubled knowing that.

Of course, twice nothing... :doh:

Wasn't their justification that Reagan started the funding against AIDS, and in doing so supported gays?

619137[/snapback]

Yeah - they also claim that Pope JP II is in hell for supporting gays and pedophiles.

It just goes to show that they find or invent a link between any issue and gays - whether they actually believe the link exists and is meaningful is another story, but it allows them to insert themselves into any high publicity issue.

It just goes to show that they find or invent a link between any issue and gays - whether they actually believe the link exists and is meaningful is another story, but it allows them to insert themselves into any high publicity issue.

619158[/snapback]

Just curious...any issue? How about the Columbia tragedy? They relate that to homosexuality? Just wondering if they did, and if so, how.

Could be a fun game...instead of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, we could have the Two Degrees of the Westboro Baptist Church...get from any issue to "God Hates Fags" in two steps or less.

Just curious...any issue?  How about the Columbia tragedy?  They relate that to homosexuality?  Just wondering if they did, and if so, how. 

Could be a fun game...instead of the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, we could have the Two Degrees of the Westboro Baptist Church...get from any issue to "God Hates Fags" in two steps or less.

619176[/snapback]

So. How many of them watched Brokeback Mountain? Why no Oscar protest?

619032[/snapback]

These folks are even more whacked and classless than the fundamentalist crazies in the NW panhandle of FL.

Just curious...any issue?  How about the Columbia tragedy?  They relate that to homosexuality?  Just wondering if they did, and if so, how. 

619176[/snapback]

Now that I think of it, I having flashbacks to seeing similar crazies on the quad during my school days at the University of Illinois. They always got heckeled by the students. Always wondered if my school dollars went to fund that entertainment for the students...

As evidenced by the fact that they consider Iraq a homosexual issue.  :doh:

619120[/snapback]

There is no doubt Westboro has discovered the furthest edges of the extremes but there are more than enough people who agree with the basic premise that God indeed thinks homosexuality is a great sin and He is not happy (and perhaps very angry) with America for "putting up" with "Gays."

I view Westboro on the extreme edge but certainly somewhat representative of those who consider homosexuality a big problem; which is why an awful lot of time, money and energy is devoted in every capitol in the nation "fighting" over the "homosexual agenda," whatever that is.

In another generation or two homosexuality will likely become so "accepted" that people will wonder what all the fuss was about - and ironically, it may go the way of interracial marriage et al to the point were it will no longer have the same level of social and political gravitas it has now.

There is no doubt Westboro has discovered the furthest edges of the extremes but there are more than enough people who agree with the basic premise that God indeed thinks homosexuality is a great sin and He is not happy (and perhaps very angry) with America for "putting up" with "Gays."

I view Westboro on the extreme edge but certainly somewhat representative of those who consider homosexuality a big problem; which is why an awful lot of time, money and energy is devoted in every capitol in the nation "fighting" over the "homosexual agenda," whatever that is.

619221[/snapback]

And of all the homophobes I know (quite a few), not one considers Westboro "somewhat representative" of them. They sure as hell don't support "Love Crusades" to "the real Brokeback Mountain, University of West Virginia" to protest Gay Pride week. :doh:

619176[/snapback]

Sure - the Columbia tragedy happened because God was punishing the United States and Israel for protecting gays (hey, that's the rationale for protesting Iraq).

I really think the game only needs to be one step: "God is/was punishing (insert noun here) because (noun) loves fags". More of a Mad Libs game, really.