If 59.5 works out I hope we some here eat crow

there is a very easy solution to that, next time there is a fire/war in your area, get thousands of people to pay money to watch them, your comparison is not a fair one, you and I are fairly responsible for the salaries and "idolization" of these athletes, when is the last time you took time out of your precious day to go to a semi-pro football game, or a rec league game just for the fun of it? Let the Bills become a volunteer or unpaid football club, and lets see where thier fan base goes.

Exactly. You want a celebration? I'll celebrate when firefighters/the military, etc. are earning the big bucks, because they ACTUALLY deserve it. Not these assclowns who arent happy making tens of millions playing a kids game, and are whining because 10 million isnt enough, they need more.

618960[/snapback]

The smaller revenue teams (a better phrase actually than smaller market beecause it is more accurate in describing the lay of the land in this dispute)  correctly judge that the NFLPA is better seen and enlisted as an ally in their real battle with the high revenue teams.

The low revenue teams would get relatively killed if they trained their effort on beating down the NFLPA rather than focusing on what is best for their business model which is to use the NFLPA as leverage to force the large revenue teams to pay back the welfare payment made to them in the NFL G3 program where the NFL subsidized the larger revenue teams to the tune of $700 million bucks in loans they used to get stadium deals.

I have a hard time believing that the NFLPA's angle WRT pushing revenue sharing is based on this, and more on the fact that IF they can get owners to share more revenue, they can continue to demand 60% of DGR. But that's me.

I never said that Upshaw didn't know what he was doing, because I believe he knows EXACTLY what he's doing.  My point is that by demanding that players get close to 60% of revenues, he's putting a strain on the owners and creating a situation where there's animosity and a good chance that NOTHING gets done, versus simply taking less money, which is STILL a lot more than they were previously getting. 

Frankly if I were the smaller-market owners, I'd tell Upshaw and the NFLPA that it's 56% or nothing, and that means pensions go bye-bye, no cap in 2007 with the prohibitive rules that apply, and likely a work stoppage in 2008.

619212[/snapback]

Great post. NFL players are overpaid already, and there's no reason why the percentage of revenues they receive needs to increase. If Upshaw wants to lobby for anything, it should be for an increase in the minimum player salary. That way the guys at the bottom of the totem pole would get more, thereby taking away money from the richest players.

Great post. NFL players are overpaid already, and there's no reason why the percentage of revenues they receive needs to increase. If Upshaw wants to lobby for anything, it should be for an increase in the minimum player salary. That way the guys at the bottom of the totem pole would get more, thereby taking away money from the richest players.

619340[/snapback]

But they did that already and it doesn't work. The minimum wage for a veteran is too expensive for NFL teams to keep competent depth on their rosters and pay the going rate for superstars. Teams can't keep the Steve Tasker sorts of players on their rosters anymore. And, it's part of the reason the last Super Bowl looked like a pre-season scrimmage (refereed by knuckleheads) in terms of quality and why the Patriots, who bucked the superstar trend (they foisted Bledsoe and his insane contract off on another stooge team), built a dynasty.

But they did that already and it doesn't work.  The minimum wage for a veteran is too expensive for NFL teams to keep competent depth on their rosters and pay the going rate for superstars.  Teams can't keep the Steve Tasker sorts of players on their rosters anymore.  And, it's part of the reason the last Super Bowl looked like a pre-season scrimmage (refereed by knuckleheads) in terms of quality and why the Patriots, who bucked the superstar trend (they foisted Bledsoe and his insane contract off on another stooge team), built a dynasty.

619356[/snapback]

I disagree in that the deal for Bledsoe was an outstanding deal for the Bills AT THE TIME. The mistake was not getting him compared to the available alternatives:

A. Stick with what the direction at QB Butler and Ralph left us (which was AVP as your starter after the TC/Hobert/RJ/DF debacles)

B. Pick up an available FAs (folks like Jeff Bl;ake and Chris Chandler) as your starter.

C. Draft a QB of the future but the future starts right now (Harrington).

If you see some better option AT THE TIME in the real world then please enlighten us.

the mistake we made was to extend Bledsoe's contract in 04 when we should have cut him while it was a wash after he pulled off a very good 02 (8-8 record after our 3-13 season) but had a disastrous performance in 03.

Even regarding looking beyond what the Bledsoe deal meant for our occurences, consider his effects on the Pats.

1. Before you give them much credit for bucking the superstar trend by cutting Bledsoe, remeber that it was Lewis;s hit which collapsed Bledsoe's lung which actually caused them to "decide" to look beyond this superstar. If anything, they made the no-brainer choice to go with their young superstar brady rather than their old superstar Bledsoe (who by the way did play QB and throw the winning TD in a must-win game during their first SB run).

2. Cutting Bledsoe almost certainly played a key role in this dynasty failing to even make the playoffs the year they cut him as his accelerated cap hit forced them to be unable to replicate their actions which coincided with an SB win the year before of acquiring some good vet talent as they acquired 15+ players after the cap cut in the year of their first SB.

I am not saying Bledsoe is a good player (though he is probably a lock for the HOF having racked up good stats through longevity, having rehabbed his career twice after getting cut, and having unlike Marino having an SB winners ring he earned in the must win game to boot), I'm saying that the facts show he was a goof acquisition by this 3-13 team that would have upgraded by getting even a marginal QB.

P.S. As far as your NFLPA point you are correct that they need to serve the less rich players in addition to serving the more rich players. However, simply taking any deal does not serve the players. What serves them in this competitive system is for the NFLPA to push the team owners to the edge without falling off themselves.

Its a tough racket but certainly with the tentative word of a deal for 59.5% of total revenues, though it a'int over til its over, things look pretty good in terms of NFLPA representation and strategy.

Can someone say 'union hack'? I knew you could...

619405[/snapback]

If this refers to me and by it you mean someone who thinks the NFLPA are a bunch of money grubbing idiots but the team owners are even worse than the players then for sure I plead guilty to being a union hack.

Exactly. You want a celebration? I'll celebrate when firefighters/the military, etc. are earning the big bucks, because they ACTUALLY deserve it. Not these assclowns who arent happy making tens of millions playing a kids game, and are whining because 10 million isnt enough, they need more.

618960[/snapback]

That will never happen because of one thing...risk. By that I mean business or financial risk, not personal risk. Those two jobs have fairly high job security. It's the way the world works, so unfortunately, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Can someone say 'union hack'? I knew you could...

619405[/snapback]

Gavin, the NFLPA is certainly not a union in the traditional sense. For instance, do you think that if ushers, ticket sellers, etc. were to strike, the NFLPA would honor their picket line?

Not knowing all the facts, in some ways the NFLPA seems to be working against their dues paying members. Under the salary cap system, vets are cut every year because teams such as the Colts need the space to pay a guy like Manning, who really doesn't appear to need a union. The system also seems to favor draftees, who are paid millions before proving that they can even play in this league.

Otoh, the CBA does set a minimum that all teams must spend on players salaries, which is good for a player unlucky enough to be drafted (another huge issue) by certain teams. Also, the current system is working. RW is sitting on at leat a half billion dollars on a $25,000 investment.

In summary, the system, while flawed, works better than it does in any other sport, and Upshaw is doing his job prety well.

But they did that already and it doesn't work.  The minimum wage for a veteran is too expensive for NFL teams to keep competent depth on their rosters and pay the going rate for superstars.  Teams can't keep the Steve Tasker sorts of players on their rosters anymore.  And, it's part of the reason the last Super Bowl looked like a pre-season scrimmage (refereed by knuckleheads) in terms of quality and why the Patriots, who bucked the superstar trend (they foisted Bledsoe and his insane contract off on another stooge team), built a dynasty.

619356[/snapback]

The problem you're referring to is that the minimum a player must be paid goes up the longer he stays in the league. This means that you're paying maybe $600,000 minimum to a veteran as opposed to say $200,000 for a rookie.

What the league needs to do is to maybe have minimum wage be at least $500,000 a year for all players. Teams will still fill up their rosters. So you're looking at $26.5 million a year that would need to be paid out in the form of minimum wage salaries, significantly cutting into what can be paid to the more expensive players.