More bad officiating

TigerJ

I'm watching college football: Boston College-Wake Forest. Wake Forest was shutting them out. Boston College on offence. Boston College QB passes the ball. Wake Forest DB gets postion and makes a nice play to break up the pass. Never touches the receiver. Pass interference call from an official who is not in position to see. Fifteen yards and a first down keeps the drive alive and BC scores a TD before the half.

As much as bad officiating is frustrating, it's just as frustrating reading all of the posts about it. If you think officiating is easy, sign up to be a highschool football official. I did it for a year and trust me, even at the high school level, it's a VERY difficult job. (but lots of fun). Sign up for a year and see how you like it (unfortunatly, it's too late now as you need to take a rules test in order to be an official and those are offered before football season).

CW

As much as bad officiating is frustrating, it's just as frustrating reading all of the posts about it.  If you think officiating is easy, sign up to be a highschool football official.  I did it for a year and trust me, even at the high school level, it's a VERY difficult job. (but lots of fun).  Sign up for a year and see how you like it (unfortunatly, it's too late now as you need to take a rules test in order to be an official and those are offered before football season).

CW

45392[/snapback]

Well then, I guess you'll never complain about ANYTHING unless you've done it yourself first. At least with NFL officials, these guys are supposed to be the best zebras out there.

I can appreciate that it is a very tough job. I think the most frustrating bad calls are when a penalty is called where there was no bad behavior; the phantom holding call on the Clements punt return and the pass interference that saved BC's butt. I can see missing something that took place and not calling a penalty that should have been called. It's tougher to be patient with officials who see things that aren't there.

I can appreciate that it is a very tough job.  I think the most frustrating bad calls are when a penalty is called where there was no bad behavior; the phantom holding call on the Clements punt return and the pass interference that saved BC's butt.  I can see missing something that took place and not calling a penalty that should have been called.  It's tougher to be patient with officials who see things that aren't there.

45518[/snapback]

I went back and looked at that Clements play. The flag was thrown at the Raiders' 17-yard line and the "foul" occurred at the Bills' 36-yard line. If the zebras can't see a play (Henry's TD) that's right in front of them, how can they POSSIBLY see a "foul" occurring almost 50 yards away? :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

Well then, I guess you'll never complain about ANYTHING unless you've done it yourself first.  At least with NFL officials, these guys are supposed to be the best zebras out there.

45431[/snapback]

To an extent, that's true. People complain that "The ref was right there, how could he have missed that?!?!" All I'm saying is that if you think it's that easy, try it out for yourself.

Then again, these are the same people that think they could out-coach or out-GM our current administration, so hey. :flirt:

CW