No Deal. So what does it all mean?

I think that despite the cap situation, there is still plenty of time to geta deal done, right? There's two years before the current labor deal expires. Just because nothing was agreed to now, doesn't mean a deal won't get down before 2008, doesn't it?

PTR

I think that despite the cap situation, there is still plenty of time to geta  deal done, right?  There's two years before the current labor deal expires.  Just because nothing was agreed to now, doesn't mean a deal won't get down before 2008, doesn't it?

PTR

618679[/snapback]

True they have time to get a deal done but it has some major ramifications. Anyone signed to a contract right now can only have their signing bonus broken up over 4 years for the cap. Next year, 2007, a team can only sign a FA if they lose a FA....etc....

Not to mention the fact that Upshaw has promised that once there is no cap there never will be one again. There are many, many, many other reasons why this is not good.

The only thing I will enjoy from this is seeing the skins suffer for the next 2 years. Although this actually will get them out of cap hell sooner than if we did get a new CBA.

I think that despite the cap situation, there is still plenty of time to geta  deal done, right?  There's two years before the current labor deal expires.  Just because nothing was agreed to now, doesn't mean a deal won't get down before 2008, doesn't it?

PTR

618679[/snapback]

Please review the MLBB, NHL & NBA situations of the past - when there was

"plenty of time"

to get a deal done

Only the NBA ducked the bullet

Have we so quickly forgotten 1987 ?

From "Relentless"

March 21, 1987

"Jack Donlan, the chief negotiatot for the Management Council, predicted trouble if the NFLPA insisted on a unfettered free agency in the upcoming collective bargaining talks. The CBA was due to expire August 31st."

Have we forgotten Willie Totten ?

Please review the MLBB, NHL & NBA situations of the past - when there was

"plenty of time"

to get a deal done

Only the NBA ducked the bullet

Have we so quickly forgotten 1987 ?

From "Relentless"

March 21, 1987

"Jack Donlan, the chief negotiatot for the Management Council, predicted trouble if the NFLPA insisted on a unfettered free agency in the upcoming collective bargaining talks.  The CBA was due to expire August 31st."

Have we forgotten Willie Totten ?

618713[/snapback]

To be completely honest I have, who is he?

this is all great news...

Given the quality of play in the NFL in general and the Bills in particular - this is FAR more entertaining than the product on the field.

618691[/snapback]

You've got a point.

Given the advances inf financial payout for the entire NFL under the labor peace of the past two decades, continuing labor dispute that blocks a labor deal is bad news for the NFL.]

Given a general sense that the quality of the product has improved also in the last two years this is bad news in the long-run.

However, based on what I can see this is good news for the football prospects of the Bills in the short-term/

The Bills are in a much better position within the division of dealing with the no deal cap level of $94 million. Both the Fins and the Jets are well above this cap number and will have to make massive cuts in the next few hours to make this level.

As both teams like the Bills are in rebuilding mode, the fact that they will need to move backwards simply makes their task more difficult and there is a pretty good chance the Bills can clean=up on these two division opponents next year unless they do everything right and we do lots of things wrong.

The overall cap situation of NE is not as flexible as ours as best I can tell (I do not have detailed knowledge). Gowever, given that they had to cut money in the bank kicker Vinateri merely to make the restricted cap and the slicing of numerous contracts of guys pivotal to an SB win will almost certainly be necessary, unless someone can explain to me how the Pats coherently maintain themselves under a constrained cap I like the Bills situation.

It will not be easy for us. However, we have some shopping money in what should be a traget rich environment for players to rebuild the OL, DTs.and SS slots. The major bills cut likely to come in former #1 WR Moulds, but assuming Evans is poised to become #1 WR, Paeeish as #3 and a target rich environment for a #2 WR, I like our prospects.

PTR

618679[/snapback]

I agree. We've got football this year (and next). The two sides must be kind of close or they wouldn't keep extending this deadline. Something will get done shortly.

Plus, the Bills are under the cap and most of the teams that are over I hate. So let's watch them explode (Miami, Redskins, Jets to name a few.)