AP "Clarification"

Link

WASHINGTON (AP) _ In a March 1 story, The Associated Press

reported that federal disaster officials warned President George W.

Bush and his homeland security chief before Hurricane Katrina

struck that the storm could breach levees in New Orleans, citing

confidential video footage of an Aug. 28 briefing among U.S.

officials.

The Army Corps of Engineers considers a breach a hole developing

in a levee rather than an overrun. The story should have made clear

that Bush was warned about floodwaters overrunning the levees,

rather than the levees breaking.

The day before the storm hit, Bush was told there were grave

concerns that the levees could be overrun. It wasn't until the next

morning, as the storm was hitting, that Michael Brown, then head of

the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said Bush had inquired

about reports of breaches. Bush did not participate in that

briefing.

Well, it only took them two days to figure out what the hell they were reporting. :)

Nice time to get your story straight, long after it has done its damage. Un-friggin-believable.

Link

Well, it only took them two days to figure out what the hell they were reporting.  :)

Nice time to get your story straight, long after it has done its damage.  Un-friggin-believable.

617850[/snapback]

Yeah but either way FEMA still screwed up. I don't think the people who drowned gave a rat's ass whether the water came at the OVER the levee or THRU it. :doh:

Yeah but either way FEMA still screwed up.  I don't think the people who drowned gave a rat's ass whether the water came at the OVER the levee or THRU it. :)

617873[/snapback]

You're nothing if not consistent, but I love ya anyway.

Yeah but either way FEMA still screwed up.  I don't think the people who drowned gave a rat's ass whether the water came at the OVER the levee or THRU it. :lol:

617873[/snapback]

FEMA didn't build the levees. FEMA wasn't responsible for maintaining the levees. FEMA didn't consistently delay rebuilding and improving the levees for decades. Blaming the levees breaking on FEMA is stupid in the extreme, as 1) the levees weren't FEMA's responsibility, and 2) the events leading to the failure of the levees predate FEMA's actual existence.

And the people who drowned apparently didn't give a rat's ass about the MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER either. :D

FEMA didn't build the levees.  FEMA wasn't responsible for maintaining the levees.  FEMA didn't consistently delay rebuilding and improving the levees for decades.  Blaming the levees breaking on FEMA is stupid in the extreme, as 1) the levees weren't FEMA's responsibility, and 2) the events leading to the failure of the levees predate FEMA's actual existence.

And the people who drowned apparently didn't give a rat's ass about the MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER either.  :lol:

617920[/snapback]

But, but, but, but Bush bad! :D

FEMA didn't build the levees.  FEMA wasn't responsible for maintaining the levees.  FEMA didn't consistently delay rebuilding and improving the levees for decades.  Blaming the levees breaking on FEMA is stupid in the extreme, as 1) the levees weren't FEMA's responsibility, and 2) the events leading to the failure of the levees predate FEMA's actual existence.

And the people who drowned apparently didn't give a rat's ass about the MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER either.  :lol:

617920[/snapback]

The federal government oversees everything and should get the blame.

In related news, it is possible that an asteroid will strike Earth. If it hits my house, I'm gonna be pissed. I'll send a nastygram about FEMA to my local paper's editorial section. That'll show'em.

You're nothing if not consistent, but I love ya anyway.

617878[/snapback]

Well it's all water over or under the dam now anyway.

:huh:

oh that was bad.

The point being that dissecting the statement now and looking for some way to weasel out of responsibility is about as meaningful as discussing what the definition of "is" is. Fact is the governmental agencies responsible failed from the local all the way to the top.

It'll be the same thing here when the Alaska Way Viaduct finally collapses. The freaking thing is founded in sand and compacted trash and was damaged by earthquake...yet there it stands. I won't drive on it, or if I do I'll only go on the top. I don't want to end up like those people in the San Francisco quake. Yuck.