Why can't players who have been cut

VABills

Just sign with another team now?

I asked my smart friends, but they didnt seem to know so now I am hoping the smart folks here know. I understand that "contracts" don't run out until Monday, but a player who was cut this week is not under contract and should be available to sign now.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just sign with another team now? 

I asked my smart friends, but they didnt seem to know so now I am hoping the smart folks here know.  I understand that "contracts" don't run out until Monday, but a player who was cut this week is not under contract and should be available to sign now.

617728[/snapback]

I'm guessing...but, if FA doesn't start until Monday, nobody can sign anyone 'til then...right?

I'm guessing...but, if FA doesn't start until Monday, nobody can sign anyone 'til then...right?

617733[/snapback]

But they free agents now, not monday. Monday is when contracts end so those guys at end of contract have to wait until monday. But if they have been cut, what prevents a teams from negociating and signing now.

But they free agents now, not monday.  Monday is when contracts end so those guys at end of contract have to wait until monday.  But if they have been cut, what prevents a teams from negociating and signing now.

617736[/snapback]

"The NFL and the NFL Players Association have agreed to extend the start of the 2006 league year for 72 hours -- until 12:01 a.m. ET, Monday, March 6 -- in order to provide time to resume negotiations. The league year had been set to begin at 12:01 a.m. ET on Friday, March 3."

They are not FA's til Monday.

"The NFL and the NFL Players Association have agreed to extend the start of the 2006 league year for 72 hours -- until 12:01 a.m. ET, Monday, March 6 -- in order to provide time to resume negotiations. The league year had been set to begin at 12:01 a.m. ET on Friday, March 3."

They are not FA's til Monday.

617737[/snapback]

No the players who have been cut are Free Agents now. :)

No the players who have been cut are Free Agents now.  :)

617738[/snapback]

Don't think so. Plus, teams can't sign FAs until the FA period begins...which is Monday. At least this what I think.

Don't think so.  Plus, teams can't sign FAs until the FA period begins...which is Monday.  At least this what I think.

617739[/snapback]

Well either you are not understanding or I am not explaining it correctly. But a Free agent is only free when his contract ends. Monday makes the period at which players who were signed through 2005 have their contracts end. However, certain players like Adams, Milloy, etc... have already had their contracts terminated when they were cut, and therefore are FREE now.

They are FA now but teams can't sign them until Monday.

617743[/snapback]

Why? I want to see the rule. I believe I have heard of teams actually signing players early. In addition how was Detroit allowed to sign King then yesterday.

Why?  I want to see the rule.  I believe I have heard of teams actually signing players early.  In addition how was Detroit allowed to sign King then yesterday.

617747[/snapback]

Players released between certain dates can't be signed by teams until the FA period begins. What those exact dates are I don't know, I'm sure you could locate the info if you really wanted to.

Players released between certain dates can't be signed by teams until the FA period begins.  What those exact dates are I don't know, I'm sure you could locate the info if you really wanted to.

617749[/snapback]

I've looked. I cannot see anything.

No the players who have been cut are Free Agents now.  :)

617738[/snapback]

Not quite yet -- read somewhere last night that those cuts don't become official until the cap deadline (originally 4PM, then 10PM last night; now midnight Sunday night). I'll see if I can find that article again. Meanwhile, from the ESPN.com wire:

With negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement restarted, a deadline for teams to meet the salary cap limit has been delayed until midnight ET Sunday. Teams have until 6 p.m. Sunday to waive players. Given the uncertainty of the past few days, players already waived could be recalled by teams. Without a new deal, a cap limit of $94.5 million could force many teams to cut big-name players to comply with salary limits.

waivers?

Section 1. Release:

(a) Whenever a player who has finished the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers between February 1 and the trading deadline, his contract will be considered terminated and the player will be completely free at any time thereafter to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign a Player Contract with such player, without penalty or restriction, including, but not limited to, Draft Choice Compensation between Clubs or First Refusal Rights of any kind, or any signing period. If the waivers occur after that time, the player’s Player Contract will be subject to the waiver system and may be awarded to a claiming Club. However, if such player is claimed and awarded, he shall have the option to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of the League Year in question if he has a no-trade clause in his Player Contract. If such player does not have a no-trade clause and the Player Contract being awarded through waivers covers more than one additional season, the player shall have the right to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent as set forth above at the end of the League Year following the League Year in which he is waived and awarded.

(b) Whenever a player who has finished less than the season in which his fourth year of credited service has been earned under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle Plan is placed on waivers, the player’s Player Contract will be subject to the waiver system and may be awarded to a claiming Club.

Not quite yet -- read somewhere last night that those cuts don't become official until the cap deadline (originally 4PM, then 10PM last night; now midnight Sunday night). I'll see if I can find that article again. Meanwhile, from the ESPN.com wire:

617758[/snapback]

Thanks Lori, I see this as well:

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=70&p=2&c=504574

But again, I don't see anything in the CBA that covers any of this. My point on this was what happens if NE wanted to sign Milloy back, would they have to wait until monday, since contractually he is free now.

waivers?

617763[/snapback]

That's it:

on waivers between February 1 and the trading deadline, his contract will be considered terminated and the player will be completely free at any time thereafter to negotiate

I think these guys are free and clear now.

That's it:

I think these guys are free and clear now.

617767[/snapback]

Depends on the details. Were Milloy et al. told "you've been released", or "you're GOING to be released"? And have the actual transactions been sent to the league office?

This is from a different story on the ESPN site:

If an extension is reached, what happens to players already released for cap purposes?

A high-level source with one NFL team told ESPN.com the league has informed teams that any player placed on waivers during this period of uncertainty can be recalled from waivers until there is more clarity about the pending free-agency period.

I don't think they mean 'waivers' in the traditional sense here (i.e., players without the accrued service time to bypass the waiver system). I'm continuing to guess that the league is just holding onto all the paperwork they've received, for the time being... but that IS a guess, nothing more.

Be interesting to see a team go ahead and try to sign one of those "cut" players, though. At the least, it would probably end up in court.