One thing I don't understand

I'm sure it's going on behind the scenes but IMO, CBS, FOX, ESPN, NBC, DirecTV and the NFL Network should be puttig public pressure on these guys to get the deal done. Everyone is going to lose. If the fans start thinking the NFL is like MLB or NHL, those TV contracts are going to be worthless. They're mostly loss leaders as it is. And yet we havent heard a peep from the networks and even the columnists don't seem to bring it up at all. The NFL is the NFL because of TV. The great business model is because of TV. The 116 million to each team before they sell one ticket and start the season is TV money.

I'm sure it's going on behind the scenes but IMO, CBS, FOX, ESPN, NBC, DirecTV and the NFL Network should be puttig public pressure on these guys to get the deal done. Everyone is going to lose. If the fans start thinking the NFL is like MLB or NHL, those TV contracts are going to be worseless. They're mostly loss leaders as it is. And yet we havent heard a peep from the networks and even the columnists don't seem to bring it up at all. The NFL is the NFL because of TV. The great business model is because of TV. The 116 million to each team before they sell one ticket and start the season is TV money.

617269[/snapback]

Excellent point...I'm sure there's some maneuvering behind the scenes as we speak.

Mike

I had read some time ago (dont quite remember where) that the networks would expect the TV contracts to be broken or at least the price to come significantly down if there is a lockout. As one TV exec stated (and I paraphrase), they wouldnt pay all those millions in broadcast rights to broadcast scabs.

I agree, despite the high price tag, this is a big revenue maker for the networks and you would think they would get involved to some degree.

Lets not forget this is a deadline for an extension. 06 and 07 are still going to played no matter what happens here, so i am sure the networks are not sweating it yet.

617549[/snapback]

That's not really the issue. The issue is the fans getting fed up with the players and the owners this year, and next year with no cap, and straying away from football like they have other sports, thereby lowering the numbers of the TV viewership and the advertising dollars for the telecasts.

I'm sure it's going on behind the scenes but IMO, CBS, FOX, ESPN, NBC, DirecTV and the NFL Network should be puttig public pressure on these guys to get the deal done. Everyone is going to lose. If the fans start thinking the NFL is like MLB or NHL, those TV contracts are going to be worthless. They're mostly loss leaders as it is. And yet we havent heard a peep from the networks and even the columnists don't seem to bring it up at all. The NFL is the NFL because of TV. The great business model is because of TV. The 116 million to each team before they sell one ticket and start the season is TV money.

617269[/snapback]

Excellent points. You could go even further with that thought. Local TV, radio, Nike, Corporate sponsors, Stadium sponsors ie naming rights etc.

I'm sure there's more.