Why we need to go to the 3-4

We can all agree that DT was a top priority even before we cut Adams, now we need 2 top DTs which are expensive. Our personnel as it is now fits a 3-4 better than a 4-3.

We can draft Ngata like everyone seems to want and sign a lower echelon FA (or 2) like Big Ted and Brenston Buckner to play 10-15 snaps a game. Anderson can slide to DE on 1st and second down and back to DT in nickel situations like Phil Hansen used to do. Schobel stays at one end and Anderson/Denney or someone like Kimo Von Olhoffen who the Steelers can't afford but who won't be expensive plays the other. Kelsay stands up and goes to rushbacker along with Posey. That puts Posey/Kelsay, Crowell, Fletcher and Spikes all in the game and lets us build our line with cheap veterans and a top rookie rather than having to spend top dollar on a DT AND draft a DT. Plus that lineup is extremely flexible, we can bring people from all over the field (a la New England recently). I actually think it will REDUCE the number of double teams that Schobel sees because there will be more people free to come from his side of the field. Previously Posey was basically nailed to his spot and wasn't asked to rush much at all, he anchored while TKO freelanced. With a 3-4 both guys can attack.

We have lots of needs and if switching alignments can save us some money we should do it. This is part of why the 3-4 is good, linebackers are cheaper than good DTs and now you only need 1 instead of 2.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a 3-4 mean a lot of good linebackers ( I think we have two very good linebackers, but after that we are thin.), a very large and dominating nose tackle of the Smerlas mode (and conceivably Adams MIGHT have fit that bill) and two bigger than average defensive ends? If that is the case I think we are one of the last teams to consider a 3-4. We would be drafting and trading and free agenting our butts off to accomodate personnel needs. I think the 4-3 is fine, but in our case we didn't have the 4 part of the deal we needed. A free agent, Ngata and we will be okay in the 4-3.