Levy wants Moulds:

Levy wants to keep Moulds because he has a very young offense in every area--line, backfield, wide receivers, and tight ends. Moulds has been an excellent leader on this team and that is needed now. Some seem to discount his leadership because of one negative incident, albeit after 10 years of high quality play and leadership.

And he is still very good. But Moulds better take a big pay cut. He would not command half as much in this league as he is now scheduled to make, not at 33 and not with less than 900 yards. Levy needs lineman. Moulds is wanted, but expendable.

Moulds staying is best for both sides: his best opportunity to end his career with production and dignity and the Bills best option for a second receiver, when his leadership is factored in.

Levy knows what he wants and is converting the Bills into a cleaner, younger, better team. Good; just what this team needed.

Levy wants to keep Moulds because he has a very young offense in every area--line, backfield, wide receivers, and tight ends.  Moulds has been an excellent leader on this team and  that is needed now. Some seem to discount  his leadership because of one negative incident, albeit after 10 years of high quality play and leadership.

And he is still very good. But Moulds better take a big pay cut. He would not command half as much in this league as he is  now scheduled to make, not at 33 and not with less than 900 yards. Levy needs lineman. Moulds is wanted, but expendable.

Moulds staying is best for both sides: his best opportunity to end his career with production and dignity and the Bills best option for a second receiver, when his leadership is factored in.

Levy knows what he wants and is converting the Bills into a cleaner, younger, better team. Good; just what this team needed.

617029[/snapback]

moulds= gone

Levy wants to keep Moulds because he has a very young offense in every area--line, backfield, wide receivers, and tight ends.  Moulds has been an excellent leader on this team and  that is needed now. Some seem to discount  his leadership because of one negative incident, albeit after 10 years of high quality play and leadership.

And he is still very good. But Moulds better take a big pay cut. He would not command half as much in this league as he is  now scheduled to make, not at 33 and not with less than 900 yards. Levy needs lineman. Moulds is wanted, but expendable.

617029[/snapback]

Moulds is a great leader of men. I am thinking that were it not for a leader like him, the Bills might have players sulking, being insubordinate, and getting suspended.

Why even bring up a pay cut? Levy should lock him up long term.

Considering the fact Moulds rejected two offers to restructure his contract in the last week, I'd say it's obvious that he does not want to be here unless he gets $10 million for 2006. If Marv wants EM so badly then the Bills have to honor Moulds contract and $10 million is beyond insane. Let's just call this what it is- a massive rebuilding effort and add WR to draft day/FA needs

Moulds is a great leader of men. I am thinking that were it not for a leader like him, the Bills might have players sulking, being insubordinate, and getting suspended.

617114[/snapback]

You beat me to it.

He demonstrated last season that leadership, by far, is not his best attribute. My prediction is that he leaves, goes to another team as a #1 receiver, but is out-played by someone else, and will be relegated to second by the end of the season.

But hey, why should you listen to an idiot like me, who halfway through typing this post realized that he has been wearing his Battlefield 2 communicator headset all morning for absolutely no reason. :doh:

You beat me to it.

He demonstrated last season that leadership, by far, is not his best attribute. My prediction is that he leaves, goes to another team as a #1 receiver, but is out-played by someone else, and will be relegated to second by the end of the season.

But hey, why should you listen to an idiot like me, who halfway through typing this post realized that he has been wearing his Battlefield 2 communicator headset all morning for absolutely no reason.  :doh:

617123[/snapback]

The CBA problem is bad for a good player such as Shawn Alexander. Now, imagine just how much it hurts Moulds! The man had the nerve to refuse a pay cut, age and antics notwithstanding. If there is no new deal, he is all but worthless in terms of making anything close to the obscene offer that was made to him.

If I had my way, this CBA thing would be settled, but for less than the players are asking. We could then cut Moulds, and have very serious cap space, and use it to make a tremendous signing sheet offer to Hutch.

Seattle has other important ufas to worry about, and the Bills have better things to do with their money than to fork it over to an aging, marginal malcontent.

617114[/snapback]

Come on. After ten years of production and leadership, you discount him for one incident. Pretty high standard, I' d say, and not reasonable

I really liked Moulds but I think he's a crappy leader. And I really don't think wrs ever make great leaders (say Jerry Rice). They are selfish and put their needs above the team. Moulds wasn't really like that but I just think this team needs some real leaders. One of the reason Big Ben was so successful was because that team was filled with leaders. Milloy stated he cared more about money that winning. Now he's gone. Sam Adams (who I believe will make a huge impact on another team) wasn't leader. That's why I would like to bring in a guy like Jon Runyan (sp?). He's a little older but he would be bring an attitude that this team has missed since Jimbo and the gang got split up.

Come on.  After ten years of production and leadership, you discount him for one incident.  Pretty high standard, I' d say, and not reasonable

618146[/snapback]

Bill strikes me as the kind of fan who doesn't take too kindly to players who disrespect women (Henry banging 15 yr old at gas station, Moulds slapping around gf and going to strip clubs)....especially if their current production can't dwarf these character flaws.

This is commendable, but a bit unrealistic in today's NFL.

Having said that, Bill happens to be 100% dead-on with his assesment of Moulds (in my opinion). For the past 8 years, we've defined Eric's "leadership" by his stats and eventually his Buffalo Bill seniority. But being a team leader takes more than simply being good or simply being around a long time.

How about motivating players around him to be better? How about organizing team get-togethers to build chemistry (I know, sounds cheesy, but guys like Jim Kelly have talked about this as being really important)? How about sacrificing one's individual stats/personal glory for the benefit of the rest of the offense? How about encouraging rookies (JP) instead of backstabbing them and talking bad about them to the media?

When you look at how the rest of the offense has performed since Moulds became a starter in 1997, you have to wonder if tying up all this money into one "megastar" WR at the expense of the OL is such a smart plan. Maybe if we had a megastar QB to compliment Moulds, but JP will need a couple more years - if ever - before he can become that.

The fact is that Moulds either doesn't want to play in Buffalo anymore, or he's not interested in winning over making money. Because if he wanted to win in Buffalo - over all else - he would take the paycut and demand that this paycut go right to the OL (a la Elway). Actions speak much louder than words, my friends. Especially words from an agent.

Finally, I ask all of you to look at this and notice the gradual drop in yds/catch since 1997. Some football experts have defined this stat to be THE most important measure of a WR's offensive impact.