The Weather Man

ajzepp

If you guys like the kind of movie that is so well-acted and well-written that it makes you uncomfortable, you should check this out. I typically like Cage flicks, but have never really considered him a great actor. With Lord of War and The Weather Man, I think he's sort of changed my view of his talent. Even though I felt Weather Man was a good vehicle for him, I still feel he carried it. I think part of why I felt connected to it is because of the issues presented in the film (e.g. divorce, parental illness, etc), but objectively I think it was just a good film.

Any of you guys seen it? Seems like most people either loved it or hated it...not many who are luke warm to it.

If you haven't seen Leaving Las Vegas, then you haven't seen Cage at his best. 10x better than Lord of War. He and Elizabeth Shue were absolutely outstanding in that flick and I believe he took home a well-deserved Oscar.

616818[/snapback]

Wow, I forgot all about that one.....good call.

If you haven't seen Leaving Las Vegas, then you haven't seen Cage at his best. 10x better than Lord of War. He and Elizabeth Shue were absolutely outstanding in that flick and I believe he took home a well-deserved Oscar.

616818[/snapback]

I really hope you're being sarcastic. I'm not a big movie person but Nicolas Cage is by far the worst actor I've ever seen. I watch his movies for the comedic effect. If he were not Coppola's nephew he never would have made it out of high school drama class.

I really hope you're being sarcastic.  I'm not a big movie person but Nicolas Cage is by far the worst actor I've ever seen.  I watch his movies for the comedic effect. If he were not Coppola's nephew he never would have made it out of high school drama class.

I usually feel the same way, but the lone exception is the film Adaptation. Cage plays both Charlie Kaufman (the movie's actual screenwriter) and Kaufman's fictional twin brother. It really is a great performance.

He is crap in most of his other stuff, though.

How about Raising Arizona?

I laugh my butt off everytime I see that movie!

I think Cage is a very good actor... always picking roles that challenge him. (except that one where he was on an Airplane full of excons... that one sucked)

I bet everyone here could name one movie of his that they really enjoyed!

If you guys like the kind of movie that is so well-acted and well-written that it makes you uncomfortable, you should check this out. I typically like Cage flicks, but have never really considered him a great actor. With Lord of War and The Weather Man, I think he's sort of changed my view of his talent. Even though I felt Weather Man was a good vehicle for him, I still feel he carried it. I think part of why I felt connected to it is because of the issues presented in the film (e.g. divorce, parental illness, etc), but objectively I think it was just a good film.

Any of you guys seen it? Seems like most people either loved it or hated it...not many who are luke warm to it.

616764[/snapback]

Put me in the " I hated it" category.

It is all just a matter of taste anyway, right?

I really like Nicholas Cage. I got a kick out of him in Valley Girl :lol: , I REALLY liked Face Off, City of Angels is a romantic fantasy about how much should be sacrificed for a perfect love....I have to admit I have watched that one several times AND have the soundtrack CD. :doh:

Con Air was as good as any shoot-em-up can be expected to be. :P

How about Raising Arizona?

I laugh my butt off everytime I see that movie!

I think Cage is a very good actor... always picking roles that challenge him.  (except that one where he was on an Airplane full of excons... that one sucked)

I bet everyone here could name one movie of his that they really enjoyed!

617092[/snapback]

IMO Cage has filled some rolls superbly (Leaving Las Vegas, Raising Arizona, 8mm)... but then he usually negates it by appearing in some horrendous bomb like Firebirds, Snake Eyes or Honeymoon in Vegas (although the Flyin' Elvises [utah Chapter] saved the film.).

It is all just a matter of taste anyway, right?

I really like Nicholas Cage. I got a kick out of him in Valley Girl  :lol: , I REALLY liked Face Off, City of Angels is a romantic fantasy about how much should be sacrificed for a perfect love....I have to admit I have watched that one several times AND have the soundtrack CD.  :doh:

Con Air was as good as any shoot-em-up can be expected to be.  :P

617211[/snapback]

Yeah, that's about where I am with it.....I typically enjoy the films he's in, I guess I just never really put him anywhere near some of the guys I would consider great actors. He does have flashes, but I think it's rare for him to really just carry a film. I'll pretty much look forward to seeing just about anything he's in though.

Con Air..you do not mess with Cameron Poe

617226[/snapback]

MMMMMMM Monica Potter.

[slowly]"Put the bunny back in the box."

Man, all those credible actors and the movie was still a POS.

MMMMMMM Monica Potter.

617361[/snapback]

Monica Potter is amazingly hot.....I wish she was in more stuff!

I really hope you're being sarcastic.  I'm not a big movie person but Nicolas Cage is by far the worst actor I've ever seen.  I watch his movies for the comedic effect. If he were not Coppola's nephew he never would have made it out of high school drama class.

617039[/snapback]

No, I'm serious. "Leaving Las Vegas" was one of the few movies where I found myself completely emotionally involved from beginning to end and literally thinking about half way through the movie "This is exceptional."

Yeah, I think his Con Air character was a stretch, if for no other reason than because he couldn't consistently keep his accent. But the movie was freakin' great. Steve Buscemi cracked me up (to paraphrase: "I once drove through three states where a little boy's head like a hat") and the dialogue was fun, like when Cyrus the Virus (Malkovich) blows up the guy who turned on him while the guy was standing in a pool of gasoline.

"Cy, please. Cy. CY! CY!"

And as Cyrus flicks his cigarette into the gasoline..."...Onara."

"The Rock" was over the top as well, but when you have Ed Harris and Sean Connery, all Cage had to do was show up.

Don't get me wrong. He made a lot of crappy movies, but he's nowhere near the bottom of the barrel of today's movie talent.

No, I'm serious. "Leaving Las Vegas" was one of the few movies where I found myself completely emotionally involved from beginning to end and literally thinking about half way through the movie "This is exceptional."

Yeah, I think his Con Air character was a stretch, if for no other reason than because he couldn't consistently keep his accent. But the movie was freakin' great. Steve Buscemi cracked me up (to paraphrase: "I once drove through three states where a little boy's head like a hat") and the dialogue was fun, like when Cyrus the Virus (Malkovich) blows up the guy who turned on him while the guy was standing in a pool of gasoline.

"Cy, please. Cy. CY! CY!"

And as Cyrus flicks his cigarette into the gasoline..."...Onara."

"The Rock" was over the top as well, but when you have Ed Harris and Sean Connery, all Cage had to do was show up.

Don't get me wrong. He made a lot of crappy movies, but he's nowhere near the bottom of the barrel of today's movie talent.

617586[/snapback]

I'm not talking about the movie, I'm talking about his acting. Leaving Las Vegas was good but Cage can't act himself out of a paper bag. You can't in one sentence say he can't keep an accent through an entire movie (what is that, a total of 15 minutes of dialogue for one person) and say he can act in another. You can't turn that stuff on and off. In my opinion (and yes it's my opinion) his acting is horrific. And the Dean's mention above regarding Moonstruck is the perfect example. Oh, also, the Vampire's Kiss. I couldn't figure out his accent in that as well as why he was getting paid (and paid well) to do this for a living.