Is Marv emulating Darcy Regier??

This whole CBA mess has gotta be pretty frustrating to everyone, not only in the front office and the players, but also the fans too.

However, I think that flexibility might be a team's greatest asset right now. As far as I can tell, I don't think that we know how the cap and CBA is gonna look in 2006 and 2007 for sure - and that it can be low or high, depending on how it all shakes out.

Some of the things that made the Sabres so successful this year (compared to their recent past) are: a stable front office, a team that is hungry and built for the new NHL, and the ability to be flexible once all the new changes came out.

If you look at all the cuts that the Bills have made, they have made them to become more flexible, both in terms of the talent that they have, and flexible financially too. Sam Adams is a perfect example of this. He could have fit this team in a 4-3 defense, as long as he had another DT who could help him do the things he can't do. He isn't a good fit in any 3-4 defense. So basically, to keep him, the Bills would have been burdened financially with his cap number, AND, would have still needed to make a move to support him. Now, we all know that Ron Edwards and Tim Anderson isn't going to be the final answer at DT. However, now we have more flexibility to pick up someone via draft or free agency, without being tied down with Sam Adams's cap number. and since the terms that all teams are going to have to fill out their rosters via the draft and free agency isn't definite yet, flexibility seems to be key.

I think that Regier did a great job with how he navigated the Sabres thru the lockout and resulting "new NHL". I don't think the NFL is going to be as drastic, however, I think Marv is doing a good job in the fact that there is quite a bit of uncertainty and all the draft/free agency moves shouldn't be done in a vacuum of this.

Well done! Marv is not saying a Sam Adams or a Lawyer Milloy can't play, he is saying he can balance the roster by using their cap number and maybe replace them with good, cheaper players where there is not a huge dropoff from the incumbent.

Sam can play.............................When he wants to

Milloy can play............................But not well with a busted hand

616594[/snapback]

sam shoots gaps thats all Sam does, he doesnt play the way coaches want to stuff and contain. Milloy never showed me he was the SS that he was when he left NE. I think Marv is following the NE leads on getting rid of folks near their ends problem is TD picked these up

I'd love to know where you got the idea that the sabres were flexilble. They signed one free agent after the CBA. If that is flexible.... I think you need to go buy a dictionary.

Seriously.. please tell me how you associate the word flexible with the 2006 sabres. Winning, yes, but flexible???