Wow! 200 Players could be released today???

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The purging began in earnest Wednesday as more than a dozen players were released by their teams to create cap room. Some of the more notable names to receive their walking papers: Broncos defensive end Trevor Pryce and running back Mike Anderson; Buffalo Bills defensive tackle Sam Adams and safety Lawyer Milloy; Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Brentson Buckner and running back Stephen Davis; and Miami Dolphins cornerback Sam Madison and offensive tackle Damion McIntosh.

"You ain't seen nothin' yet," an executive for an AFC team said Wednesday night. "By this time tomorrow, there could be another 200 players released. And that's probably a conservative estimate."

The NFL owners will meet in New York Thursday to discuss the stalemated talks with the NFL Players Association. But the meeting isn't expected to accomplish much. The biggest obstacle to a new CBA is the owners' own differences over the issue of revenue-sharing, and the league said that subject won't even be broached at the meeting.

Without a new CBA, teams will head into free agency with a much lower `06 salary-cap number (about $95 million) than the one they'd be operating with if there were a contract extension (between $105 million and $110 million). They'll also be operating under a restrictive set of rules regarding how contracts can be structured and what counts against this year's cap.

Bottom line: There are a lot of teams in deep salary-cap doo-doo right now. According to league sources, 13 of the league's 32 teams were over the projected $95 million cap as of Wednesday. Another four were just $4 million or less under it, which isn't even enough cap space to sign all of their draft picks. Most of those teams have spent the week desperately trying to rework contracts to get their cap number down. If that doesn't work, their only alternative would be to release players.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews...ts/13996174.htm

616269[/snapback]

Marv's trying make sure that we will contiune to stay ahead of the game. He's not waiting till the last second to release players. He wants to get it done right away so he can continue to evaluate. As far as the Moulds situation is concerned, I'm hoping that Eric can meet one on one with Marv so they can get something worked out. As of now we are under the cap.

Question. If teams want to buy some time, can they stay over the cap after midnight and just absorb fines until they get it straightened out - should they choose to?

616357[/snapback]

Interesting question. If anyone would be willing to absorb massive fines it's DS.

Question. If teams want to buy some time, can they stay over the cap after midnight and just absorb fines until they get it straightened out - should they choose to?

616357[/snapback]

AFAIK it's a million dollar a day fine to be over the allotted cap.

"You ain't seen nothin' yet," an executive for an AFC team said Wednesday night. "By this time tomorrow, there could be another 200 players released. And that's probably a conservative estimate."

I'll take the under on that....

Whatever AFC Executive said that, was clearly using the cloak of anonymity to pull a credulous journalist's leg.

Think for a moment.... that comes out to 6 players per NFL team being cut today. It just ain't gonna happen. A few teams in trouble will make some cuts, but no way is it going to be 6 per team.

JDG

I'll take the under on that....

Whatever AFC Executive said that, was clearly using the cloak of anonymity to pull a credulous journalist's leg.   

Think for a moment.... that comes out to 6 players per NFL team being cut today.  It just ain't gonna happen.  A few teams in trouble will make some cuts, but no way is it going to be 6 per team.

JDG

616386[/snapback]

Teams might cut players they were planning on keeping when they see other players they weren't planning on having access to being cut. While there won't be a huge loss of jobs there could be a lot of team swapping.

Teams might cut players they were planning on keeping when they see other players they weren't planning on having access to being cut. While there won't be a huge loss of jobs there could be a lot of team swapping.

616392[/snapback]

Now what the hell does T-Bone have to do with this? ;)

I hope 200+ are cut -- 'cause it will be so fun to watch all their names on ESPN's ticker at the bottom of the screen.

616309[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly!! A little chaos now and then is a good thing. ;)

Man I am loving this! It is actually good for the Bills situation. Well, off to work I go. I'll be back tonight to enjoy the carnage. Whooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

616370[/snapback]

I think this hurts the Bills. Instead of being one of the few teams with cap space, every team will have space when a new deal is reached and the cap turns out to be $5 M higher than it is now.

And this will improve the overall health of the league for years to come.

I think this hurts the Bills.  Instead of being one of the few teams with cap space, every team will have space when a new deal is reached and the cap turns out to be $5 M higher than it is now.

616429[/snapback]

It will actually go up about $10 million, I believe. But the Bills will still be ahead of the game if that happens.

I wonder if, somewhere, TD is kicking back with a beer thinking, "Glad I don't have to deal with this mess right now."

Personally, I'd like to see a new deal signed a few hours after those 200 players get released. I'd like a few more guards and tackles to choose from.

Personally, I'd like to see a new deal signed a few hours after those 200 players get released. I'd like a few more guards and tackles to choose from.

616479[/snapback]

I read on the NY Times that the deadline to free up space may be extended from 4pm to 10pm tonight to allow for any last minute deals, but I cant see that happening.

I read on the NY Times that the deadline to free up space may be extended from 4pm to 10pm tonight to allow for any last minute deals, but I cant see that happening.

616484[/snapback]

It already happened. It was announced last night.