Americans knowledge of 1st Amendment

1st Amendment

CHICAGO - Americans apparently know more about "The Simpsons" than they do about the First Amendment.

Only one in four Americans can name more than one of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment (freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.) But more than half can name at least two members of the cartoon family, according to a survey.

And it is only goig to get worse.

1st Amendment

CHICAGO - Americans apparently know more about "The Simpsons" than they do about the First Amendment.

Only one in four Americans can name more than one of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment (freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.) But more than half can name at least two members of the cartoon family, according to a survey.

614748[/snapback]

Not suprising. Students can't memorize the multiplication tables, but can recite an entire week's TV schedule.

Very scary to think what students might be like in about 50 years isn't it?

614776[/snapback]

50 years from now? You look at the football board and of the wall recently? And some of them are pushing 30.

1st Amendment

614748[/snapback]

Kind of a crappy comparison. I imagine most Americans are aware of the freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment even if they aren't aware that they are specifically guaranteed in that part of the constitution. And once you know you have that right, how often are you going to check back to the constitution to see where exactly it is.

On the other hand, I imagine anyone who has watched an episode of the Simpsons over the past, I dunno, 15 years (new episodes or syndicated) or has even known someone who is a big fan of the show (or just noticed all the merchandise) could toss out the names of a character or two. Similarly, I've never watched an entire episode of Sex and the City but I know two of the four girls are named Carrie and Miranda.

Which is not to say that Americans don't have some serious "book learning" to do but this is the type of article that just screams "Here's a poll; let's overreact to it!!!" A skilled pollster can spin almost anything into a "surprising find." In summary, I don't like polls.

Which is not to say that Americans don't have some serious "book learning" to do but this is the type of article that just screams "Here's a poll; let's overreact to it!!!"  A skilled pollster can spin almost anything into a "surprising find."  In summary, I don't like polls.

614815[/snapback]

Most of the best polling/surveys are for internal use. It doesn't appear on ABC news. When the media contracts for a poll, they usually have some say as to how questions are framed. Market intelligence and even political intelligence for campaigning is usual proprietary and internal. Pollsters have some affective filters, for example, the desire to finish a 20 minute survey without the interviewee walking off, the modulation of voice if it is an oral poll often compromises true candidness, also people tend to overestimate how much they do things - men always seem to vote and have much more sex than women, for example.

I'm not a big proponent of rote memorization and regurgitation in education. We should be teaching students how to research an answer to a question, and how to solve a problem through deductive reasoning. You don't learn anything through memorization. So most people can't recite verbatim The Bill of Rights or the Amendments. Big deal. It doesn't mean that they haven't heard of them, or know they are in the US Constitution.

I'm not a big proponent of rote memorization and regurgitation in education.  We should be teaching students how to research an answer to a question, and how to solve a problem through deductive reasoning.  You don't learn anything through memorization.  So most people can't recite verbatim The Bill of Rights or the Amendments.  Big deal.  It doesn't mean that they haven't heard of them, or know they are in the US Constitution.

614886[/snapback]

Yep, called critical thinking. Folks need to be taught the skills to work through problems but memorization after that is just state sponsored and more frequently today Corporate sponsored propaganda. :D

I'm not a big proponent of rote memorization and regurgitation in education.  We should be teaching students how to research an answer to a question, and how to solve a problem through deductive reasoning.  You don't learn anything through memorization.  So most people can't recite verbatim The Bill of Rights or the Amendments.  Big deal.  It doesn't mean that they haven't heard of them, or know they are in the US Constitution.

614886[/snapback]

Or can't look them up. There's lots of stuff I can't recall by rote...but I know where to find it.

1st Amendment

614748[/snapback]

Question: Do I need to file a petition to redress my grievances with my taxes?

Who's they?  Do you live in Denmark?

616781[/snapback]

Oh yeah, I forgot that the NY Times, Boston Globe, CNN and every other MSM entity in the U.S. had the balls and backbone to print the cartoons.

/sarcasm

What exactly is your point???? They PRINTED the cartoons in Denmark! In the U.S., not so much...