The Original Hollywood Squares

erynthered

Funny. That's exactly how my father's second wife breastfed her children.

614108[/snapback]

Funny chit. I know somewhere in the Chef family archives there's a picture of my mom "out to here" wit a manhattan in one hand and a smoke in the other. If memory serves me right it was in 1959, her pregnant with my one eyed, three fingered, drooling brother. But I could be wrong. :lol:

Funny chit.  I know somewhere in the Chef family archives there's a picture of my mom "out to here" wit a manhattan in one hand and a smoke in the other.  If memory serves me right it was in 1959, her pregnant with my one eyed, three fingered, drooling brother.  But I could be wrong.  :lol:

614262[/snapback]

You sound jealous that he ended up with the extra finger... :lol:

i read one time that all of Paul Lynde's responses on that show were scripted and he didn't write a single one.

613914[/snapback]

I believe some of the answers have always been scripted on that show. Dunno for sure about Lynds...but, it's a good bet that many/most were scripted.

THis show reminds me of how different a world we live in today than 30 years ago.

When I was my daughter's age I had no idea that Paul Lynde or Charles Nelson Reiley (sp?) were gay. I just thought that they were a little outgoing. My 11 year old daughter,however, while watching the audition portion of American Idol had a more sophisticated gaydar than many adults do.

Its a much different world than when I was a kid

:D

I believe some of the answers have always been scripted on that show.  Dunno for sure about Lynds...but, it's a good bet that many/most were scripted.

614351[/snapback]

Per that "Classic Squares" website (in the faq):

Q. That list of zingers that gets emailed all over the place claims they were ad-libbed and unscripted. Is that true?

A. No, ad-libs were the exception, not the rule. Most of the "zingers" were written by Bill Armstrong, Jay Redack, Les Anderson and Merrill Heatter (they also wrote a lot of the straight questions). There were a few ad-libs here and there by Abby Dalton and Wally Cox especially, and somewhere on this site there's at least one from Charley Weaver and even an apparent one from Big Bird. I believe Joey Bishop's line about the librarian contestant having to return all of her Secret Square prizes inside of two weeks was an ad-lib. Jonathan Winters liked to improvise, which is why his funny answers seem to meander a bit. There were likely a few ad-libs in the now-classic "Beaverface" nighttime show, including the "topper" line by George Gobel (known for being the best ad-libber on the show). But most of those funny answers were written in advance, including, very likely, all of the ones on the famous email list.

Q. Really? They were written in advance? Even Paul Lynde's?

A. Especially Paul Lynde's.

Q. So how did the stars get these if they weren't supposed to see the questions in advance?

A. They were pitched backstage as "something funny you might say," like a comedian being given punch lines without the rest of the joke, then getting on stage and hearing the straight man deliver the setups.

Well, bust our billies.

That must be what makes American Idol so exciting now, instead of those sad, lame times.

It was still pretty damn funny. Funny now, in TV comedy is getting the wrong coffee from starbucks.

THis show reminds me of how different a world we live in today than 30 years ago.

When I was my daughter's age I had no idea that Paul Lynde or Charles Nelson Reiley (sp?) were gay. I just thought that they were a little outgoing. My 11 year old daughter,however,  while watching the audition portion of American Idol had a more sophisticated gaydar than many adults do.

Its a much different world than when I was a kid

:D

614606[/snapback]

You didn't know they were gay? Hell, I'm 49 and I always figured those guys were a little "light in the loafers". Of course, I figure all male celebrities are gay. :P

You didn't know they were gay?  Hell, I'm 49 and I always figured those guys were a little "light in the loafers".  Of course, I figure all male celebrities are gay.  :huh:

614929[/snapback]

They were gay? :D:P

Funny chit.  I know somewhere in the Chef family archives there's a picture of my mom "out to here" wit a manhattan in one hand and a smoke in the other.  If memory serves me right it was in 1959, her pregnant with my one eyed, three fingered, drooling brother.  But I could be wrong.  :P

614262[/snapback]

Your twin? :D