pre-lenten dilemma

dib

Do I have a few 'pops' tonight before the long drought (and go to work cranky) or do I err on the side of caution?

Your help is greatly appreciated

613584[/snapback]

I think that perhaps you should lay off the sauce tonight. Never want to go to work HO. I'm sure all here agree. :D

Do I have a few 'pops' tonight before the long drought (and go to work cranky) or do I err on the side of caution?

613584[/snapback]

It is all about moderation my friend. If you can have a few than do it, you'll be less likely to cheat during lent.

613584[/snapback]

You need to send all beer to me for proper disposal.

613584[/snapback]

I'd have a few 'pops' to celebrate Mardi Gras, Carnival, Paczki Day, Shrove Tuesday, whatever...and realize that the 'drought' doesn't have to be that long - you can drink on Sundays durning Lent.

Sounds too good to be true, I know, but as one who regularly gives up smoking, drinking, red meat, and deserts during Lent, I've found this technicality to be a Godsend. I never knew it until a friend mentioned it a few years back - I still didn't believe it. Then one year, Fr. Secondo Cassarato - St. Anthony of Padua RC Church here in The BuffTown- mentioned something similar - that Sunday is a feast day, a celebration of the Eucharsist, and, well, ya just can't feast and fast on the same day.

So I did the math - technically, Lent is supposed to be 40 days, but from March 1st to April 15th (Ash Wednesday thru Holy Saturday) is 46 days. Now - back out the six Sundays, and ya got your 40 days!

Wish I had known that during those years that I went the whole distance - being able to swill a glass of red goofy or quaff an ale or two once a week makes it a bit more bearable.

Hope this helps.

Lent

Then one year, Fr. Secondo Cassarato - St. Anthony of Padua RC Church here in The BuffTown-  mentioned something similar - that Sunday is a feast day, a celebration of the Eucharsist, and, well, ya just can't feast and fast on the same day.

So I did the math - technically, Lent is supposed to be 40 days, but from March 1st to April 15th (Ash Wednesday thru Holy Saturday) is 46 days.  Now - back out the six Sundays, and ya got your 40 days!Lent

613654[/snapback]

I did not know that. Thanks!

So I did the math - technically, Lent is supposed to be 40 days, but from March 1st to April 15th (Ash Wednesday thru Holy Saturday) is 46 days. Now - back out the six Sundays, and ya got your 40 days!

I go all 47.

So I did the math - technically, Lent is supposed to be 40 days, but from March 1st to April 15th (Ash Wednesday thru Holy Saturday) is 46 days.  Now - back out the six Sundays, and ya got your 40 days!

I go all 47.

613737[/snapback]

Well then, by all means, go out and get 'faced' tonite! :D

But if you go the distance - as I usually try to do, despite Fr. Secondo's Sunday dispensation - the only other reprieve I can offer is this...

Years back, in an effort to resolve the issue of when Lent officially ends, we placed a call to the Buffalo diocese. Couldn't reach the 'head man' - yeah, it was Bishop Head - but the Office of the Bishop assured me that Lent ends when you celebrate either Easter Mass (Sunday) or the Easter Vigil (Saturday evening).

So now I attend the Vigil at St. Joseph's Cathedral, then - to celebrate the Resurrection- head right to Darcy McGee's on Chippewa and Franklin!

But remember - the Sunday exemption is out there, if ya need it.

Cheers!