Moulds rejects Bills restructure offer

Dan III

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this a good PR move by Levy.  If Moulds doesn't re-structure, even the crazies can't cry about keeping him at $10m per year.  An effort was made by the Bills.  Who is going to give Moulds more than a couple million a year for 2 or 3 years?  He's a solid player I'd like to keep around but any reasonable person would come to the conclusion that he's ridiculously over-paid at his current figure.

613378[/snapback]

I am hoping that you are right. If so, congrats to Marv for on a well thought ploy.

You are correct that Moulds has been a fan favorite for a long time, and a large number of fans will be sad to see him go (please don't include me in that bunch).

Marv is making it seem as if we are trying hard to hold onto Eric. It will soothe the feelings of some of the fanbase. Smart move by Marv, and good post by you. :D

I think someone else already typed this in another thread, but I want to say it, too: With Moulds gone, Vernon Davis seems like the best pick the Bills could make at #8.

613495[/snapback]

I think quite a few are saying that, and it makes good sense.

But, there IS a 5-9 173 pound receiver out there...

I think quite a few are saying that, and it makes good sense.

But, there IS a 5-9 173 pound receiver out there...

613496[/snapback]

I don't think that it makes sense at all to reach that high for a tight end.

Here is a history of all TEs selected in recent years. Winslow was highly regarded and he went 6th. Ricky Dudley and Kyle Brady went 9th in consecutive years, and they too were busts.

Often there are no TEs at all selected in round 1.

Additionally, he wouldn't get much play if teams continue to run through us at will, and our qb is on the turf in a fetal position, bleeding.

Other than that, I think going with a TE at #8 is a good idea. :D:D

I don't think that it makes sense at all to reach that high for a tight end.

Here is a history of all TEs selected in recent years. Winslow was highly regarded and he went 6th. Ricky Dudley and Kyle Brady went 9th in consecutive years, and they too were busts.

Often there are no TEs at all selected in round 1.

Additionally, he wouldn't get much play if teams continue to run through us at will, and our qb is on the turf in a fetal position, bleeding.

Other than that, I think going with a TE at #8 is a good idea.  :D  :D

613505[/snapback]

Well, as long as we're naming names, also selected in the first over the past several years were Tony Gonzalez, Dallas Clark, Jeremy Shockey, Dan Graham, Jerramy Stevens, Todd Heap, Bubba Franks, Anthony Becht, Ben Watson, Mark Bruener and Keith Jackson, and Alge Crumpler was just a few picks from being a first-rounder. While not all of them are superstars, there is a fair number of solid stars in that group.

In 2002, three tight ends went in the first round. Those three teams were the Giants, Pats and Seahawks (all playoffs teams this past season). And two teams picked TEs in the 1st in 2004, of which one team was in the playoffs (Pats again) -- the other was the Browns, and it is hard to say what would have happened if Winslow was not such a giant idiot.

My take is that a 1st round TE can be a superstar, and history does not prove otherwise.

Well, as long as we're naming names, also selected in the first over the past several years were Tony Gonzalez, Dallas Clark, Jeremy Shockey, Dan Graham, Jerramy Stevens, Todd Heap, Bubba Franks, Anthony Becht, Ben Watson, Mark Bruener and Keith Jackson, and Alge Crumpler was just a few picks from being a first-rounder. While not all of them are superstars, there is a fair number of solid stars in that group.

In 2002, three tight ends went in the first round. Those three teams were the Giants, Pats and Seahawks (all playoffs teams this past season). And two teams picked TEs in the 1st in 2004, of which one team was in the playoffs (Pats again) -- the other was the Browns, and it is hard to say what would have happened if Winslow was not such a giant idiot.

My take is that a 1st round TE can be a superstar, and history does not prove otherwise.

613520[/snapback]

You make good points, and thank you for the dialogue.

The thing is, even Gonzalez and Jackson went at 13, not #8. I would not be against taking a first round TE in principle, but imo 8 is too early.

Also, we are talking about the Bills....a cold weather team that needs to play like one. We need to get a team in place that will allow us the luxury of taking a TE in the first round. We have been chasing skill players (including a TE) with our early picks as of late, and it hasn't worked.

You make good points, and thank you for the dialogue.

The thing is, even Gonzalez and Jackson went at 13, not #8. I would not be against taking a first round TE in principle, but imo 8 is too early.

Also, we are talking about the Bills....a cold weather team that needs to play like one. We need to get a team in place that will allow us the luxury of taking a TE in the first round. We have been chasing skill players (including a TE) with our early picks as of late, and it hasn't worked.

613534[/snapback]

How about "best available player" in the first round and top of the second, and then pick at position? I'm still sort of wary of a bunch of picks going at linemen. I think everyone is in full agreement that line issues need to be fixed for anything good to happen, but not at the full expense of the skill positions.

How about "best available player" in the first round and top of the second, and then pick at position? I'm still sort of wary of a bunch of picks going at linemen. I think everyone is in full agreement that line issues need to be fixed for anything good to happen, but not at the full expense of the skill positions.

613543[/snapback]

Well, then you and I will be dead before the Bills put a prominet LT on the football field.

You have to draft these guys because nobody will give them up. An exception was Roaf, and there were stories involving not so good things with his wife. Another exception is that Leon Gray was a part of the Eric Dickerson trade. :D

Again, I make the case that the Bills already did exactly what you suggested with top picks. MaGahee, Reed, Parrish, Everret, Evans, and of course, 3 picks for Losman. :D

It didn't work then, and it won't work now.

What if we cut the chump after 6/1? What kind of $$ is he going to get then? We could spread out our cap hit over 2 years. Maybe old Eric would see things a little differently if he thought he might get canned late in the year when the contracts are smaller and teams have filled their roster from FA and the draft.

Won't work cause of the CBA that says 2007 will be a no cap year if something isn't resolved, therefore the only date to cut by is this week to get under the cap.

If you cut someone later, you will not save more money like in previous years.

The question I have is after the cut date to get below the cap at the start of March, Can teams go above the cap during FA and cut players before the start of the season?

If so, and Moulds doesn't want to accept a paycut or work on making his salary more "Cap friendly" Wait until June/July and cut him then when most of the big money has been payedd out. If he doesn't wanna help us out, why help him out.

Won't work cause of the CBA that says 2007 will be a no cap year if something isn't resolved, therefore the only date to cut by is this week to get under the cap.

If you cut someone later, you will not save more money like in previous years.

The question I have is after the cut date to get below the cap at the start of March, Can teams go above the cap during FA and cut players before the start of the season?

If so, and Moulds doesn't want to accept a paycut or work on making his salary more "Cap friendly" Wait until June/July and cut him then when most of the big money has been payedd out. If he doesn't wanna help us out, why help him out.

614258[/snapback]

I think what he was trying to say was to put Moulds on a spot.....If Moulds is

cut after 6/1, most of the teams would have used the cap money and hence

will not get the big contract that he desires. In that case, may be he is willing

to take a pay cut and play for the bills...

I don't think the bills run their ship that way.....If they know the player is

not going to be thwere, why bother having him on the roster, especially when

you are not going to be able to trade him etc.