AJ Smith and Marty not seeing eye to eye

Buftex

ESPN Radio is reporting that Marty Schottenheimer and AJ Smith, who have always had an "icey" relationship, are having a disagreement over what the Chargers should do at QB. Marty wants Brees back, and he, and others in the organization, are not sold on Phillip Rivers...this is part of their "update", so I am thinking someone at ESPN talked to Marty!

I have been hearing the "bust" buzz on Rivers for a few months. Very interesting...

They haven't been seeing eye-to-eye for at least a year. Last year Smith traded 3rd string QB Cleo Lemon, a Schottenheimer favorite, to the Dols for a box of tape, without even consulting him or even giving him a heads-up BEFORE it happened. And if I were Marty, I sure as hell wouldn't want to hitch my wagon to Rivers when Brees proved successful. And IIRC, the Chargers HAVE the money to keep him.

They haven't been seeing eye-to-eye for at least a year.  Last year Smith traded 3rd string QB Cleo Lemon, a Schottenheimer favorite, to the Dols for a box of tape, without even consulting him or even giving him a heads-up BEFORE it happened.  And if I were Marty, I sure as hell wouldn't want to hitch my wagon to Rivers when Brees proved successful.  And IIRC, the Chargers HAVE the money to keep him.

613333[/snapback]

The Chargers are roughly $20 Mil under the cap and have made Brees a contract offer - but will not designate him as a Franchise player. His rehab is progressing - but no one is coming out to say he will be the same.

There is no definitive reason to label Rivers as a bust - he simply hasn't played enough.

The Chargers said today they were not intrested in Ty Law or Charles Woodson.

Their secondary remains suspect despite investing in it heavily via the draft.

The Chargers are roughly $20 Mil under the cap and have made Brees a contract offer - but will not designate him as a Franchise player.  His rehab is progressing - but no one is coming out to say he will be the same.

No one can say that. And designating him a franchise player after the injury he suffered was NOT going to happen. I think that they allow Brees to shop himself and give them the right of first refusal.

There is no definitive reason to label Rivers as a bust - he simply hasn't played enough.

I still wouldn't be comfortable turning the reigns over to him, when the team is at a critical juncture (i.e. making the playoffs last year but not this year).

The Chargers said today they were not intrested in Ty Law or Charles Woodson.

Their secondary remains suspect despite investing in it heavily via the draft.

HELLO NATE CLEMENTS!

One thing to consider with Brees is that he turned the corner when his arm strength improved drastically 2 years ago.  If he has lost that, he could easily become an average QB again.

613390[/snapback]

Thats a really good point. I saw the stories touting his career turnaround was directly attributable to his strength training and increased throwing velocity.

What interests me in this situation is the relationship Smith and Levy have. As the former head of pro personnel for the Bills, he'd be a great addition if he were forced out. With Modrak leading the way on the college front, Smith heading up the pro operations and Levy, well, being Levy, we'd certainly have a great chance to retool. With Modrak turning down numerous opportunities to advance to a GM spot, we'd also have our next GM in place. Not likely to happen, but one can hope..

One thing to consider with Brees is that he turned the corner when his arm strength improved drastically 2 years ago.  If he has lost that, he could easily become an average QB again.

613390[/snapback]

That's funny. I strictly recall seeing Brees improve dramatically when Antonio Gates started catching everything near him, breaking tackles like they were fortresses of balsa wood, splitting the secondary and opening up the entire field for the best running back in the game and a bunch of mediocre WRs.

What interests me in this situation is the relationship Smith and Levy have.  As the former head of pro personnel for the Bills, he'd be a great addition if he were forced out.  With Modrak leading the way on the college front, Smith heading up the pro operations and Levy, well, being Levy, we'd certainly have a great chance to retool.  With Modrak turning down numerous opportunities to advance to a GM spot, we'd also have our next GM in place.  Not likely to happen, but one can hope..

613771[/snapback]

Smith was Butler's hatchet man after leaving the Bills. After some of the things he said about Ralph Wilson, I think it will be a cold day in hell before he would be brought back to the Bills.

That's funny. I strictly recall seeing Brees improve dramatically when Antonio Gates started catching everything near him, breaking tackles like they were fortresses of balsa wood, splitting the secondary and opening up the entire field for the best running back in the game and a bunch of mediocre WRs.

That's what I saw as well. Don't know how his arm strength suddenly improved like that, but I guess it's possible.

613787[/snapback]

Exactly, right on the money.....

Exactly, right on the money.....

613867[/snapback]

At what price....AJ Smith is probably making 2M+ annually as the chargers GM...

Do you think RW will pay something close to that for a "Player Personnel" whne

his own GM is making peanuts...

So are you thinking the #19 pick for Nate?

Ideally.

Then do the Bills pick at 8 & 19 or package them to move up?

No. I'd keep the 19th pick and use it on a DB, if one were slated to go around there. If not, trade down. I'd then use #8 and the 3rd rounders to move up to #5 to get Mario Williams.

Smith was Butler's hatchet man after leaving the Bills.  After some of the things he said about Ralph Wilson, I think it will be a cold day in hell before he would be  brought back to the Bills.

613801[/snapback]

Amen! I wouldn't want that POS back in Buffalo.

With Modrak turning down numerous opportunities to advance to a GM spot,

613771[/snapback]

I'm not aware of Modrak having turned down any opportunities to advance to a GM spot. I remember a few years ago him interviewing for one, and not getting the position. In fact, that happened at least twice, IIRC.