What is ESPN Thinking??

ajzepp

Did I miss something here?? They just showed a clip of the game where Howard Cosell reported live that John Lennon had been shot and killed outside his apartment.....then it went right into a "Monday Night Football...Coming in September!"

Is it just me, or is that a little bit tasteless and inappropriate? If not those things, just plain odd?

Did I miss something here?? They just showed a clip of the game where Howard Cosell reported live that John Lennon had been shot and killed outside his apartment.....then it went right into a "Monday Night Football...Coming in September!"

Is it just me, or is that a little bit tasteless and inappropriate? If not those things, just plain odd?

613157[/snapback]

That was one of the historic events of MNF. During a time when MNF was much bigger, Cosell basically told America of Lennon's death.

That was one of the historic events of MNF.  During a time when MNF was much bigger, Cosell basically told America of Lennon's death.

613229[/snapback]

That's where I heard it. Was just talking to my wife this weekend. Because I heard it while watching MNF I knew exactly where I was (in a dorm in college). She couldn't remember where she heard it.

Is that the first thing you guys would pick for a promo though??? I dunno, it just seemed odd to me.

613305[/snapback]

I think its classless too. Capitalizing on John Lennon being assassinated. Add another reason why ESPN sucks. !@#$ you ESPN, !@#$ you Disney!

I think its classless too.  Capitalizing on John Lennon being assassinated.  Add another reason why ESPN sucks.  !@#$ you ESPN, !@#$ you Disney!

613311[/snapback]

Exactly.....when I think of MNF I want to be fired up! Helmets clashing, the MNF theme blaring on the tv, the whole deal.....I just don't understand this decision. Oh well.....I'm gonna watch it regardless, lol

Exactly.....when I think of MNF I want to be fired up!  Helmets clashing, the MNF theme blaring on the tv, the whole deal.....I just don't understand this decision. Oh well.....I'm gonna watch it regardless, lol

613318[/snapback]

I haven't seen the commercial, but my initial guess would be that they start running commercials from here on out that include classic MNF moments. This was probably just the first.

It's MNF history. They are not capitlizing on his death. No one would watch the show because they all of a sudden remembered that announcement. Nothing at all wrong with it IMO.

Was Tom Brokaw capitalizing on the soldiers of WWII? What about using the Zapruder film to promote yet another story of JFK's assassination? At this point, more than 25 years later, Lennon's death is a historical event.

And yet, if they're using them as a promo for a sports program, it's a little distasteful / crass that it's the first clip they might use. It would be wise for them to highlight the sport. B/c in this day and age, ESPN doesn't deliver news like that to a majority of the U.S.

But it is part of MNF's legacy, putting together a good program, and 35 years of goodwill, which ESPN thinks they can assimilate; which is a lot like saying if Matt Lauer puts on a white jumpsuit, he can be Elvis.

Was Tom Brokaw capitalizing on the soldiers of WWII? What about using the Zapruder film to promote yet another story of JFK's assassination? At this point, more than 25 years later, Lennon's death is a historical event.

And yet, if they're using them as a promo for a sports program, it's a little distasteful / crass that it's the first clip they might use. It would be wise for them to highlight the sport. B/c in this day and age, ESPN doesn't deliver news like that to a majority of the U.S.

But it is part of MNF's legacy, putting together a good program, and 35 years of goodwill, which ESPN thinks they can assimilate; which is a lot like saying if Matt Lauer puts on a white jumpsuit, he can be Elvis.

613651[/snapback]

I don't usually want to get all fired up for the evening news, though. We're talking about football here, which is supposed to be entertainment above anything else, right? Whatever, lol....if they want to use John Lennon's death as a segue into the MNF banner, that's their business. You'd think that they'd have enough great FOOTBALL moments from the past 35 years that they could choose one of those, since chances are that's why most of us tune in - for the FOOTBALL. Like I said, I'm going to watch regardless :lol:

Its E$PN, part of your statement here is part of that network's mission statement

613670[/snapback]

lol....point taken

Maybe someone will shoot Yoko Ono and they can announce it during the inaugural ESPN MNF telecast. I am all for that.

613830[/snapback]

LOL......geesh, is she still alive??

That's where I heard it.  Was just talking to my wife this weekend.  Because I heard it while watching MNF I knew exactly where I was (in a dorm in college).  She couldn't remember where she heard it.

613282[/snapback]

For me it was the college bar. It's history, no problem with ESPN recounting it.

I, too, learned of John's death on MNF.

The next day I told two or three tastless John Lennon jokes to a class I was teaching at UB (about 125 people, I'm guessing). Needless to say, many were offended.

One I recall: What did Yoko say when she heard that John had been shot?

Oh No!