McCown would be an interesting pick up as 3rd QB

PromoTheRobot

Josh McCown has skills. It's just hard to tell playing for the Arizona Buzzards. He may well be the kind of guy Marv brings in.

One very refreshing thing about Marv's tenure: he doesn't care about where a guy was drafted. Just because JP was a #1 pick, that means squat as far as the depth chart is concerned.

Do you think any of the QB competition mini-camps will be open to the public? Heck, the Bills could make a fortune selling tickets! Make it like "American Idol" and let the fans vote! :D

PTR

Josh McCown has skills.  It's just hard to tell playing for the Arizona Buzzards.  He may well be the kind of guy Marv brings in. 

One very refreshing thing about Marv's tenure: he doesn't care about where a guy was drafted.  Just because JP was a #1 pick, that means squat as far as the depth chart is concerned.

Do you think any of the QB competition mini-camps will be open to the public?  Heck, the Bills could make a fortune selling tickets!  Make it like "American Idol" and let the fans vote!  :D

PTR

611660[/snapback]

Og all those flopping around out there at the moment, at least he's young and even though he had to toil for the Cards, he's shown possibilities and promise. What caused him to fall out of favor with Green is anyone's guess.

I'd be okay with McCown...I remember in 2004 I was actually very impressed with his abilities and still think if Green kept him as their starter, he would have led Arizona to a playoff game that year (lets remember that was that sad year in which 8-8 teams could make the playoffs in the NFC). But still, playoffs are playoffs...we could do a lot worse than McCown if we're looking for a third option at QB.

I have a hard time believing a QB as good as (???) McCown would want to come to buffalo, knowing he has to prove to everyone he is better than Losman and Holcomb, and could wind up as a #3 QB.

Dont get me wrong, if he signs up for it, Great!...but it doesnt make much sense from his POV.

Total waste of money. We have two guys fighting it out already. We don't need to throw a third into the mix when we need a lot of help in a lot of places. Whether or not Losman is a franchise quarterback remains to be answered but it must be learned on the field, and he has a better chance at it than McCown. And even if he didn't, how would you divide up three QBs reps when we can't even divide up two. We need a young prospect at #3 that can develop in 2-3 years that doesn't cost any money.

Someone is going to break the bank on Drew Brees, but someone is going to look smart by giving McCown a modest deal to be either a starter or a #2 in waiting.

611928[/snapback]

I have been a McCown advocate since last year. I agree with you...he has played pretty well, on a dysfunctional team, for a HC that seems to loathe him. If nothing else, it accellerated his learning. He still throws some ints., but he can also get the ball to open receivers. I am not so sure we have anyone on our roster who can do that right now. I think McCown still has some learning to do, but he is a step above a journeymen (like Holcomb).

That said, I think he will get some interest in FA, and wouldn't expect the Bills to get in any sort of bidding war for him. There is likely to be some other mid-range QB's available in the next week or two (rumour has it, Griese is out in Tampa, for salary reasons). With the CBA thing still up in the air, it is kind of hard to predict what might happen.

Josh McCown will probably only accept a job if he is the starter, or if he has a 50/50 shot at being the starter.

My prediction is.....Josh McCown signs on with the Jets , and is the starter there while they groom either Cutler or Young.

I could also see McCown going to New Orleans if they cut Brooks, with the exact same scenario as the Jets.

i like McCown and i agree he has skills, however i dont think he will sign here to be the 3rd string QB. If he has all these skills everyone is talking about, then why wouldnt he want a shot at the starting job somewhere? I like him dont get me wrong, i just think he's better than a 3rd string QB.

Some of you seriously overrate this guy.

With the receivers he had to throw to in Arizona, his stats should have looked better then this:

att cmp yds pct td int rtg

Josh McCown 270 163 1836 60.4 9 11 74.9

Put him on a less talented Bills team, and his stats would look equivelant to JP Losman's. Add to that, he has less upside then Losman, and has not shown improvment in 3 years.

Be nice, if some of you would look as optimistic with JP. Either you have a bias against the guy, or really don't know much about the position.

Now back to your regular programming.

With the receivers he had to throw to in Arizona,  his stats should have looked better then this:

att  cmp  yds  pct  td  int  rtg

Josh McCown 270 163 1836 60.4  9  11  74.9

Put him on a less talented Bills team,  and his stats would look equivelant to JP Losman's.  Add to that,  he has less upside then Losman,  and has not shown improvment in 3 years.

Be nice,  if some of you would look as optimistic with JP.  Either you have a bias against the guy,  or really don't know much about the position.

612010[/snapback]

Agreed. Denny Green is a pretty good judge of QBs and he clearly wanted to keep an aging Warner over the young up and comer. That says a lot to me. And while McCown had a few good stats games, most of the time I watched him he was pretty dreadful. He may be decent down the line, but it would be ridiculous for the Bills to look at him seriously. He will get #2 money from someone.

With the receivers he had to throw to in Arizona,  his stats should have looked better then this:

Put him on a less talented Bills team,  and his stats would look equivelant to JP Losman's.  Add to that,  he has less upside then Losman,  and has not shown improvment in 3 years.

:

612010[/snapback]

Funny, I spent the season hearing about how, unlike the Cards' sorry backfield, WM is a top three running back, EM is a solid #1 and LE a future all-pro at #2. And yet we have stats like

att cmp yds pct td int rtg

Tweedle-Dee 230 155 1509 67.4 10 8 85.6

Tweedle-Dum 228 113 1340 49.6 8 8 64.9

Imagine McCown's numbers if he had a runningback like Willis to open things up for the passing game!

Be nice,  if some of you would look as optimistic with JP.  Either you have a bias against the guy,  or really don't know much about the position.

612010[/snapback]

I don't think anyone is arguing that McCown is the second coming of Joe Montana. I think your assertion that Arizona is a far more talented team than the Bills is kind of off base. I look at McCowns numbers, which you posted, and they are a lot better than Losmans. Where do you get that McCown has not shown any improvement in three years? Have you ever watched him play, outside the horrid game his entire team had, against the Bills in 2004? McCown, ever since he has had a chance to start in the NFL, has put up pretty damn good numbers, in most of his starts. He does have a tendancy to throw picks, but he does also have the ability to make plays too. To be fair to JP, the tandem of Evans and Moulds is no match for Boldin and Fitzgerald, but I still think McCown is far beyond JP right now.

I think everyone would be thrilled to see JP Losman succeed. But, given the Bills track record with QB's since Jim Kelly left, I think it is really foolish to build your team's future too much around one player. While Losman showed some progress last year in his second stint as the starter, I still think he looks like a bit of a project. There is a big difference in the level of his "bad" play, and McCowns. Honestly, going into last season, I was hoping that Losman would, at the very least, play the way McCown has played. I knew he would make mistakes, but was hoping he would also make enough big plays to give us some hope for the future.

Where do you get that McCown has not shown any improvement in three years? 

612154[/snapback]

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302085

The stats speak for themselves.

Also, yes I have watched him play, other than his pathetic Buffalo performance. I have the pleasure of Sunday Ticket, and the Cards are on at 4 PM a lot.

I'm not trying to piss in your Corn Flakes, I just think you're wrong about his talent.

It's his turn to be TBD's:

"can't miss, flavor of the month!"

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302085

The stats speak for themselves.

Also,  yes I have watched him play,  other than his pathetic Buffalo performance.  I have the pleasure of Sunday Ticket,  and the Cards are on at 4 PM a lot. 

I'm not trying to piss in your Corn Flakes,  I just think you're wrong about his talent. 

It's his turn to be TBD's:

"can't miss, flavor of the month!"

612208[/snapback]

Stats don't lie...Just ask Jerry Gray. :D

PTR