Sometime's its smarter to cut the better player

Pyrite Gal

As folks are doing their assessment and making their pronouncements as to who they think should stay or go on the Bills, i think a common error is being made.

One can make a completely correct assessment as to which Bills is a better player, however, the answer on who to cut or keep may be the exact opposite.

For example, when TD was asked in his job prior to becoming the Bills Prez about whether RJ or Flutie was a better player, he simply looked to Flutie's record of being starting QB for the Bills when they made the playoffs twice and RJ's recprd of looking good briefly but not being able to avoid injury and asked whats the question.

Yet, right away when he came here he backtracked to say the QB question was an open one and ultimately chopped DF and kept RJ.

In the end, both needed to be and deserved to be cut (RJ was too-injury prone to be our QB of the future, DF was too old and subject to end of the season wear down to be our QB of the future). However, RJ was so injury prone and Flutie was so dynamic while he was in there that IMHO clearly Flutie was the better player.

Yet, when it came down to a choice between the two in TD's first season he made the right choice in chopping the better player and seeing what would happen with the player Butler cap indebted us to.

The truth is Virginia, that simply being the better player is not enough here in the real world.

It's a team game so how you get a long with your teammates is a big factor. TO for example is a far better player than any other Iggles WR, but they should not keep this idiot.

When you expect to win makes a big difference. Holcomb is clearly a better player than RJ (certainly today and probably all year IMHO) but though we need to improve our Ws, the goal is make the playoffs. I really doubt Holcomb can lead this team to the playoffs this year and have significant doubts he will last long enough in this league or play consistently long enough to even lead them to the playoffs nxt year. I doubt even more RJ can lead them to the playoffs this year, but he presents a far better chance of developing into a playoff producing QB next year than KH. Holcomb is the better player, but unless JP really sucks and offers us no chance of winning games this year, I start JP.

The salary cap makes a big difference. I like Milloy as a player better than I like Vincent, but given the relative cap advantages of cutting them (and my sense our Cover 2 will lend itself more to TV's demonstated strengths) there is not question in my mind that you cut Milloy before you cut TV.

I love the chatter on TSW about who is a better player, but this is simply a different judgment than the question of who you keep or who you start.

Its unfair, but life ain't fair.

When you expect to win makes a big difference.  Holcomb is clearly a better player than RJ (certainly today and probably all year IMHO) but though we need to improve our Ws, the goal is make the playoffs. I really doubt Holcomb can lead this team to the playoffs this year and have significant doubts he will last long enough in this league or play consistently long enough to even lead them to the playoffs nxt year.  I doubt even more RJ can lead them to the playoffs this year, but he presents a far better chance of developing into a playoff producing QB next year than KH.  Holcomb is the better player, but unless JP really sucks and offers us no chance of winning games this year, I start JP.

611285[/snapback]

Might want to think about editing that paragraph... 'cause I don't think RJ is leading anyone anywhere this season.

You gotta love Bills football. 

What other team has chicks posting on their message boards about player cuts on a Saturday morning.

Dollars to donuts this chick is hot too.

:D

611288[/snapback]

Pyrite Gal is no lady. There's only one person on this board who can type that much, do the math.

Pyrite Gal is no lady.  There's only one person on this board who can type that much, do the math.

611334[/snapback]

that's the problem Albany...lack of math skills. That or the fact they'd love to pretend that it is Maria Sharapova writing to them.