Mike Williams' (chest) departure means:

Coach Tuesday

Cutting Mike Williams (chest) doesn't surprise me, but the TIMING of it is somewhat odd - why now? To me, it's obvious: immediate cap room is needed in order to lock up Nate long-term. Seems to me like a solid tradeoff, provided they don't overpay for Nate. I would expect an announcement within 7-10 days that Nate will be a Bill for the next 6 years.

It could be an effort to be fair to Mike, letting him loose at the start of Free Agency, especially if the Bills had no intention of keeping him. Marv has always been a class act and this just seems like something thathe would do.

Cutting Mike Williams (chest) doesn't surprise me, but the TIMING of it is somewhat odd - why now?  To me, it's obvious:  immediate cap room is needed in order to lock up Nate long-term.  Seems to me like a solid tradeoff, provided they don't overpay for Nate.  I would expect an announcement within 7-10 days that Nate will be a Bill for the next 6 years.

610293[/snapback]

there is no connection.........

any long-term contract that nate signs would have a first year cap number SMALLER then the current 5.9M he is on the books for in '06.......thus the bills don't need to create room to sign him long-term -- signing him long-term would create room!

why the timing of the move? free agency is here in a week and we might just need some dollars considering how many improvements are needed........

Cutting Mike Williams (chest) doesn't surprise me, but the TIMING of it is somewhat odd - why now?  To me, it's obvious:  immediate cap room is needed in order to lock up Nate long-term.  Seems to me like a solid tradeoff, provided they don't overpay for Nate.  I would expect an announcement within 7-10 days that Nate will be a Bill for the next 6 years.

610293[/snapback]

I highly doubt you see a deal for Nate if a new CBA is not signed, I think Nate would be nuts to sign under theses conditions.

Take this into account. Teams can only spread bonus over 4 years now, maening lower bonus payment up front most likely. If no new CBA, 07 uncapped year, great for players.However, players will also need 6 years to become an UFA, so less compitition from other DBs.

Seems to me his best option is to not sign anything until a new CBA is done. If in the summer it appears that is not going to happen, sign the tender and play under the one year deal.

there is no connection.........

any long-term contract that nate signs would have a first year cap number SMALLER then the current 5.9M he is on the books for in '06.......thus the bills don't need to create room to sign him long-term -- signing him long-term would create room!

why the timing of the move? free agency is here in a week and we might just need some dollars considering how many improvements are needed........

610353[/snapback]

There is a connection though if you needed to franchise Nate before he hit the open market, as was the case. Nate's $5.9M tag was mostly paid for by the $4.9M saved by cutting MW. Without doing that, there wouldn't have been enough cap room to both tag Nate AND be able to sign at least one impact FA.... and we still need more room, keep chopping Marv!

It could be an effort to be fair to Mike, letting him loose at the start of Free Agency, especially if the Bills had no intention of keeping him. Marv has always been a class act and this just seems like something thathe would do.

610314[/snapback]

Or it could be the roster bonus MW was due on March 3rd...