Seattle places transition tag on Hutchinson

ROCCEO

The Bills could try and sign him, but at $6.3M for the transition tag, fuggedaboutit!

609560[/snapback]

As great as it would be to have him, the Bills NEVER had a shot....Time to move on (re: Hutchinson).

As great as it would be to have him, the Bills NEVER had a shot....Time to move on (re: Hutchinson).

I never wanted him in the first place...at least not at the price he was going to be asking for. Sure he's a great guard, but IMHO the 3 most important positions on the O-line are NOT OG. And Bentley has been a Pro Bowler at OG and OC.

The Bills could try and sign him, but at $6.3M for the transition tag, fuggedaboutit!

609560[/snapback]

We would not have to sign him for that price. Thats what the tag is worth as an offer sheet. What the Bills would do is sign him to an offer sheet for whatever, say 5 yrs 30 mil. Then seattle has 1 week to either match our offer and keep him, or lose him for nothing.

The transition basically gives the team the right of first refusal to a player. We signed spikes to an offer sheet, the Bengals could have matched it and TKO would still be in cincy.

From KFFL:

Seahawks | Hutchinson to receive transition tag

Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:09:41 -0800

>>>>Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports the Seattle Seahawks have informed OLG Steve Hutchinson that he will have the team's transition tag placed on him. The team is expected to make an announcement soon.<<<<

I don't understand this move by Seattle. Fans of almost every team are crying out to sign him. Somebody is going to make Hutch the highest paid OG in NFL history.

I wonder if he would even take 36 million over 6 years, and if he did, would the Seahawks match it?

Sure he plays next to Jones but Hutch is a damn good football player, IMHO a top three guard. LeCharles Bentley wants the same kind of contract and for the money I would rather make a run at Hutchinson and try to pick up someone like Nick Mangold in round two of the draft. Yeah the money is a lot for a guard but its worth it if you figure we are already paying a guard/tackle more than what those two are asking, his name: Mike Williams. Nevermind Williams was just cut two minutes ago, peace out!

By the way if you haven't read that other post about Pete Prisco's top ten Free agents, Hutch and LeCharles are 1 & 2:

1. Steve Hutchinson, G, Seahawks: He is far and away the best at his position in the league. He is a mauler who teams with tackle Walter Jones to make up the best side of any line in the league. Hutchinson is 28 and will turn 29 in November, but that's young for an interior lineman. Seattle will likely place the franchise tag on him, but if he were to come free, he would be a target for a lot of teams. Normally, I don't condone paying a lot of money to guards, but this is a special player.

2. LeCharles Bentley, C/G, Saints: Bentley is 26 and will not turn 27 until December. He's in the prime of his career. Bentley played guard his first two seasons in the league and center the past two. Some say he's a better guard, but he wants to play center. Wherever he plays, he brings a tough-guy attitude to the job. He doesn't back down to anyone. Just ask Warren Sapp, a player he whipped several times when they were in the same division. The Saints aren't expected to put the franchise tag on him and Bentley wants out of New Orleans, so look for him to hit the market.