Hey computer experts. I have techinical question

The Poojer

I am trying to set up broadband cable and phone service at home, have a laptop with and ethernet card, running windows xp professional edition. In doing the self install kit, it stops saying connectivity issues something about IP address is 0.0.0.0 or something to that effect. therefore cannot get on line, yet with the broadband phone I get a dialtone but cannot call out. Had a friend come over to help and we noticed that I cannot get a dos prompt so it was recommended that I do a clean OS install and office suite install. Is there an easy fix to get that dos command program back? When I click on the DOS Command in the start menu, it appears ever so breifly then quickly disappears. Any insight? Thanks in advance.

I am trying to set up broadband cable and phone service at home, have a laptop with and ethernet card, running windows xp professional edition.  In doing the self install kit, it stops saying connectivity issues something about IP address is 0.0.0.0 or something to that effect.  therefore cannot get on line, yet with the broadband phone I get a dialtone but cannot call out.  Had a friend come over to help and we noticed that I cannot get a dos prompt so it was recommended that I do a clean OS install and office suite install.  Is there an easy fix to get that dos command program back?  When I click on the DOS Command in the start menu, it appears ever so breifly then quickly disappears.  Any insight?  Thanks in advance.

609526[/snapback]

Is the ethernet card acknowledged in your BIOS setup?

signed up for broadband yesterday, got home realized that the old card or coupler to make it ethernet was defective so bought a new ethernet card last nite

609552[/snapback]

Well, just to remove a possible variable, eliminate and re-activate the NIC recognition in the CMOS. Does WinXP recognize your new card and load its (XP's) native drivers?

Does Win's System Information acknowledge the card - and not cite it as a "Problem Device" or as an IRQ conflict?

First things first, Pooj...gotta eliminate any detectable hardware problem...

To get to a DOS prompt, go to the Start button, go to Run and then type "command" - that will get you to a command prompt.

From the command prompt you can see your IP settings by typing "ipconfig". If your IP address is 0.0.0.0 you haven't got an IP address assigned to you and that's why nothing is connecting.

To get an IP address you can type "ipconfig /renew" and it will try and get an IP address.

Note: there are 2 ways to get an IP address - static and via DHCP. With static you tell your card what IP address you are going to give it. With DHCP your machine asks a DHCP server for an address. Most cable companies use DHCP - you have to point your machine to their DHCP server and use the address it asigns you.

If you can't get an IP address using "ipconfig /renew" you probably want to check your ethernet card settings to make sure you are setup for DHCP and the address of the DHCP server you are trying to reach is correct.

I am trying to set up broadband cable and phone service at home, have a laptop with and ethernet card, running windows xp professional edition.  In doing the self install kit, it stops saying connectivity issues something about IP address is 0.0.0.0 or something to that effect.  therefore cannot get on line, yet with the broadband phone I get a dialtone but cannot call out.  Had a friend come over to help and we noticed that I cannot get a dos prompt so it was recommended that I do a clean OS install and office suite install.  Is there an easy fix to get that dos command program back?  When I click on the DOS Command in the start menu, it appears ever so breifly then quickly disappears.  Any insight?  Thanks in advance.

609526[/snapback]

To be honest, I wouldnt reinstall your OS yet. I would call their support number to help you identify the problem. The problem could reside on the internet service provider side. The best way to eliminate them from the equation is to have them troubleshoot their equipment and make sure it is functioning properly.

Hope that helps!