Lions Franchise Jeff Backus

Thailog80

Who else are you going to bring in as a LT?  It appears that the only guy worth pursuing now is Shaffer, but he won't come cheap.

609715[/snapback]

Shaffer is my top choice, but there are other guys with good LT experience like LJ Shelton or Matt Lepsis. Even Tom Ashworth from the Patriots has some experience at it.

IMO, drafting or signing an offensive tackle would help this team win as much as drafting or signing a WR.

We need to get better inside. OT's play on the edge, and ours did a very good job last year once Peters started at RT.

Gandy proved to me that he is a solid LT in the NFL. No one handled him all year and he faced some great DE's. Peters just dominated anyone he was supposed to block.

IMO, I would keep both players right where they are since both did well at those positions, no need to move more players around.

Go out and either draft or sign some interior lineman. Draft early, 2nd and 3rd rounds or go get a quality starter in free agency, not a Bennie Anderson type.

Still, it's hard to get a lot from those numbers, what with one qb running around like a chicken that had a bucket of boiling water flung on it's ass and another who was the King of The 6 inch Pass. :lol:

609614[/snapback]

:devil: ... or should that be :lol: ?

This is the best recap of the 2005 season I've read, and all in one sentence. Nicely done...

Shaffer is my top choice, but there are other guys with good LT experience like LJ Shelton or Matt Lepsis.  Even Tom Ashworth from the Patriots has some experience at it.

609743[/snapback]

With Backus off the market Shaffer and Shelton will likely be the top of everyone's list which could make it tough gettting either one. Though I would still have my eyes on Mike Pearson to at least compete with Gandy and maybe a draft pick like Winston (I now have him as a 2nd round prospect so have to change my mock) or Colledge of Boiste State.