Lions Franchise Jeff Backus

Thailog80

Thank God! He totally isn't worth a large contract he would demand just because he plays LT. Besides, I think we have someone on the roster now who will end up being way better, and for now, save us a ton of cash vs. production at that position. We need to move Peters to LT.

The love of Peters playing LT next season truly amazes me. He's started what...8 games in his entire NFL career? And now we want to toss a converted TE to the most important position on the O-Line?

Now that being said, I DO think Peters is a capable starter, but I have nightmares about him trying to protect Losman's blindside. Kepp him at RT where he was solid, and lets bring in a FA to man the LT spot.

I still have my fingers crossed that Kevin Shaffer makes it to free agency. He's the guy I want, and would let us have more versatility with our Offensive Line.

The love of Peters playing LT next season truly amazes me.  He's started what...8 games in his entire NFL career?  And now we want to toss a converted TE to the most important position on the O-Line?

Now that being said, I DO think Peters is a capable starter, but I have nightmares about him trying to protect Losman's blindside.  Kepp him at RT where he was solid, and lets bring in a FA to man the LT spot.

I still have my fingers crossed that Kevin Shaffer makes it to free agency.  He's the guy I want, and would let us have more versatility with our Offensive Line.

609599[/snapback]

Gandy and Peters did a good job last year, our problem has been no push in the middle. Get some solid interior linemen in here and our line will be very good.

He made 10 starts and gave up 1.5 sacks.

http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/player...=7122&Submit=Go

609605[/snapback]

Nice site.

Still, it's hard to get a lot from those numbers, what with one qb running around like a chicken that had a bucket of boiling water flung on it's ass and another who was the King of The 6 inch Pass. :D

Nice site.

Still, it's hard to get a lot from those numbers, what with one qb running around like a chicken that had a bucket of boiling water flung on it's ass an another who was the King of the 6 inch pass. :D

609614[/snapback]

And a collection of guards who collectively couldn't block sunlight.

I'm don't get an entirely warm and fuzzy feeling with the idea of Peters as a long-term solution at LT, either...but I'd like to see him play football on a professional offensive line before I pass judgement.

For this offseason, what I'd like to see is 2 FA starters be brought in.  Even if they end up being the only FAs we sign, I think it would be worth it.  A new LT, a new LG and a new Center.  Whichever position is not filled through FA, we should make our first or 2nd round pick.

You want 3 new OL? I'd rather stick with Peters at LT (again, that's where he's been groomed and only played RT because of Williams being a bust), move Gandy inside to LG, and at worst put Preston at RG. That would necessitate finding a new center and RT, which is much more doable.

True, Peters has started 8 NFL games. In those 8 games though, he has shown to be very solid in pass protection. The reason many are calling for the switch is his abilities match up well with what the LT position demands. I could care less if he used to play TE, he looks like a pretty good fit as a LT at a great salary at that position to boot. Like BillFromNYC talked about in another thread, we could attack other areas with this position potentially taken care of.

True, Peters has started 8 NFL games. In those 8 games though, he has shown to be very solid in pass protection. The reason many are calling for the switch is his abilities match up well with what the LT position demands. I could care less if he used to play TE, he looks like a pretty good fit as a LT at a great salary at that position to boot. Like BillFromNYC talked about in another thread, we could attack other areas with this position potentially taken care of.

609712[/snapback]

The key word is "potentially" though. You're right, he could come out and be our answer at LT...but what if the guy just flops badly? By the time we find that out, it'll be training camp and all of the serious LT options will be gone...and we'll be stuck with Mike F'N Gandy as our LT again.

To me, the risks are just far too great...bring in an LT, keep Peters at RT. Much better that way.

The key word is "potentially" though.  You're right, he could come out and be our answer at LT...but what if the guy just flops badly?  By the time we find that out, it'll be training camp and all of the serious LT options will be gone...and we'll be stuck with Mike F'N Gandy as our LT again.

To me, the risks are just far too great...bring in an LT, keep Peters at RT.  Much better that way.

Who else are you going to bring in as a LT? It appears that the only guy worth pursuing now is Shaffer, but he won't come cheap.