Denver or Colorado Springs....

TheMadKat

Hey guys,

I would like some advice about moving to the Denver or Colorado Springs area. To avoid literally posting my resume, I'm a recent college grad with over 6 years of experience in the IT industry and several industry certifications. I've been seeking employment in the Denver/Colorado Springs area for almost 2 months and I've had horrible results. I have only received one call back from a recruiter despite submitting dozens of resumes. I do not know anyone in the area to help me 'network.' I’m not biased to any specific industry. Based on my research, most of the jobs in the area are for the Department of Defense.

I currently reside in East Texas, and I'm not comfortable leaving my stable job until I line up something in Colorado. I've heard it is hard to find employment out of state because employers generally seek local candidates first. My daily ritual involves searching on the most popular job web sites Monster.com, Careerbuilder.com, HotJobs.com, Dice.com, and the local newspaper classified ads placed on the internet.

I'm headed to Colorado from March 6th-10th to scout the area for potential apartments and attend a job fair. I'm not sure what to expect from the job fair to be honest..... At the very least, I expect to receive some contacts in the area.

Can someone provide me with a little advice or suggestions?

Thanks!

You say you don't know anyone in the area to network...but have you been networking with the people you do know at home? You'd be amazed at how many people might know someone in the area you're looking to move. People have family, friends and business partners all over the country now days.

609465[/snapback]

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, Ive been planning this move for a while. All of my family and close friends are aware of my situation. I was able to make one contact that actually lives in Denver. She offered me her local address to put on my resume, but I dont want to lie or be misleading.

Should I use her local address to eliminate the possibility of being screened because of my location? I have two issues with this technique. First, its misleading. Second, the dates of my most recent employer are June 2001 - present.